Any scouting reports yet?????

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Any scouting reports yet?????

Postby OKhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
petrotk40 wrote:Well I don't want to leave all those googlers out to dry, he's one of my honey holes

36.08809, -95.92094

Just checked it out, looks good. Think I could walk in or do I need a boat? Also, I have 2 woodduck decoys, 2 widgeon, 2 mallards, 2 pintails, and 4 dozen blackduck hybrids...how should I setup?

They just need to remember that duck hunting is like deer hunting, you always want the wind in your face. I did check my grandparents pond and it had a couple hundred wigeon and a few geese on it. Looks pretty good for Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to find out if the geese are sequential numbers.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:25 pm

It's an easy walkin spot. I typically just take my new game winner's out of the box and toss em out, don't matter what species. Weights are optional. I lay down and put the decoy box over me as a makeshift blind. Then I used my new duck picker and blow real hard, like I'm trying to blow out a giant candle. works every time.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

petrotk40 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Leave my geese alone

Where exactly are you seeing these geese and I'll make sure to leave them be ;)

Actually, haven't been out there since teal season, but most of "my" spots that way attract geese from time to time. I ain't gonna scout either; just show up Saturday morning and decide where to go based on water depth. As far as sequential bands as somebody above quipped.........(and I've posted this before), I have sequential resident bands. First goose killed at Keystone, banded in Cleveland. 2nd, sequential band, killed in Morris (80 miles away) five years later. Pretty cool for lowly resident bands.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Wow that is pretty cool. I plan to scout a little more on Friday and see how the rain has changed things
petrotk40
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:54 pm

petrotk40 wrote:Well I don't want to leave all those googlers out to dry, he's one of my honey holes

36.08809, -95.92094

Does the fountain help keep it open in January?
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:07 pm

But to get back in the spirit of this thread. This spot has plllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnty of water. No problem bringing a big ol' boat down there and launching. Don't worry about the 6 inches of water and two feet of mud at the "launch".........it gets deeper the further away from the "launch" that you get.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:But to get back in the spirit of this thread. This spot has plllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnty of water. No problem bringing a big ol' boat down there and launching. Don't worry about the 6 inches of water and two feet of mud at the "launch".........it gets deeper the further away from the "launch" that you get.

I've launched from similar places plenty of times..... But then again I know what I'm doing where most yahoos don't haha
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:10 pm

How's the birds looking out east? Im planning on heading that way to hunt at my grandpas. Didn't know if any had moved in that direction or not. Hughes county more specifically
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

rebelmdb69 wrote:How's the birds looking out east? Im planning on heading that way to hunt at my grandpas. Didn't know if any had moved in that direction or not. Hughes county more specifically

PM me the directions to the pond, I will go check and let you know what I find out Sunday. :grooving: :grooving:
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
rebelmdb69 wrote:How's the birds looking out east? Im planning on heading that way to hunt at my grandpas. Didn't know if any had moved in that direction or not. Hughes county more specifically

PM me the directions to the pond, I will go check and let you know what I find out Sunday. :grooving: :grooving:

In all seriousness, I am going to out a pond tonight...let ya know tomorrow.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Sounds good. I may have room for an extra gun if I've got birds and you don't......
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby OkieDuckFever » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Sunday's hunting spot
Attachments
013x.jpg
226x.jpg
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:45 pm

Went scouting this evening, found a lot of wood ducks, some gadwall and teal. A lot of blinds too, will be interesting to see how many actually use theirs this season.
One of the permit holders lives over 1.5 hours away, it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:47 pm

OkieDuckFever wrote:Sunday's hunting spot

Looks like you're gonna get into the wood ducks too...2000 was the last time I shot one...I'm ready to end this dry spell. :hammer:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm

We have never hunted this spot during the first split in years past, since the family deer hunts it pretty hard. I put some extra game camera's on it this year and found out it was filling up fast. So I took the kids out during youth weekend and it was crazy fun for them. It's my turn now! Bad part is, nothing but woodies on it... 3 and done.

Hoping our normal early season honey hole looks this good when we hunt it on Saturday.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby JDog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 pm

OkieDuckFever wrote:We have never hunted this spot during the first split in years past, since the family deer hunts it pretty hard. I put some extra game camera's on it this year and found out it was filling up fast. So I took the kids out during youth weekend and it was crazy fun for them. It's my turn now! Bad part is, nothing but woodies on it... 3 and done.
Hoping our normal early season honey hole looks this good when we hunt it on Saturday.

Have gun will travel.
JDog
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:52 am

Checked 5 ponds last night. One had geese all over, three of them had two to four dozen ducks, and one had nothing...we only have permission to hunt the one that had nothing. Hopefully we will get action seeing how they are in the area. My cheap binocs didn't provide any identification of the ducks, definitely not mallards or pintails. One group was wadded up like divers, the rest all looked like puddlers.
LiquidA45
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting