Duck Hunting Forum banner

New to OKC from AR

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Duckinharris 
#1 ·
I just recently transfered to OKC with my company. I love to duck and deer hunt and will be missing my duck hunting in AR this year. I'm a very responsible hunter, have a duck boat w/blind and about 6 or 7 dozen decoys. Any references (I am in no means asking for holes or personal spots) as to where I can go that is not too far from OKC. I do my own scouting and never ask for "where are you all seeing a lot of birds". Also, if anyone ever wanted to go with me, I'm game for that as well. From what I've read on the posts here, it seems like there a lot of real good guys on here.
Craig

#2 ·
Welcome to Oklahoma.

Check out www.wildlifedepartment.com That is the Oklahoma Wildlife Department web page. Look at the interactive map for WMAs. That will give you some places to scout. Be sure to read the hunting regulations (available online there also) closely to see what is legal on the WMAs. Most are open for archery, but not all are open for black powder or rifle.

Ft Cobb has been a hot spot in the past (for ducks and deer). But there is a lot of pressure there also.

Lexington WMA is supposed to have some good deer hunting.

Black Kettle and Packsaddle are supposed to be pretty good also.

Hackberry Flats is managed for waterfowl, but there is not much water there right now.

Mountain Park WMA typically has ducks and bucks.

#3 ·
Don't overlook the Corps of Engineers lakes. Most Corps lakes have twice the amount of huntable shoreline (for ducks) than state managed lands also on those same lakes. I think the ODWC maps only show the state land, so you need to hit the USACE website for the Corps hunting maps. If you got a boat, as I see you do, the lakes open up a ton more hunting compared to just state land.

.......although, I believe the fewer Corps lakes around OKC get a lot more pressure than the many lakes around Tulsa.

#7 ·
okdave said:
Where in AR are you from? I grew up in Heber Springs (2000 h.s. grad) and was at Little Rock AFB from 2001-2006. Went to Connecticut for a year and have been in OKC since.
I was "transplanted" in LIttle Rock, but lived/live in Conway. I am just putting my house up for sale. I have rented an apartment until we sell ours and buy one here. I really like OKC. But I also have a deer camp in Hope, AR and still going to hunt it.

#8 ·
Where are you living in OKC? I am also pretty new to the OKC area and moved down by Lake Draper.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in Oil and Gas? Seems like a logical move from Conway to OKC for that industry. I am in Oil and Gas and will be hunting this weekend with some guys from Conway and Ft Smith who are also in the industry.

Welcome to OKC, we like it a lot here and plan on staying a while.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.