Anyone hunt this mornin'?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Anyone hunt this mornin'?

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Anyone head out this morning......how did you do? We had to make it a quick morning, but we ended up with 3 greys and a *cough* hen....mallard. :help:

:eek: :eek: It was down right, COLD!!! But thats not stopping us from going again in the morning. :yes:

:salude: :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:05 pm

I wish I was able to go, too much ice. I might/probably not even get to go at all if there's still too much damn ice on sunday or monday. The exact same thing happened the last time but we couldnt even get out to our street let alone get out at all. And it definitely isn't going to melt soon. It seems like every time that it's prime for hunting I can't go. :thumbsdown:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Don't you have a truck?? :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Yes. A 4WD too. The snow was simply too deep, but that was last time. This time we can get out. Now I have just found out that we're not going at all. I have just about had it with my dad b/c every time it is a good time to go he finds an excuse. Says it's too dangerous. Thats bs. We don't even have to go out on the lake to hunt, you can always hunt from the bank or at a pond or river, we have warm enough clothes... I can't wait until I get some sort of transportation so I can go alone. I'm sick of sitting around staring at the computer letting my vision deteriorate while I could be doing something constructive and go outside. I wish I had an air-powered shotgun so I could hunt in our pond. Our land is zoned AG-R so no shotguns or rifle shooting is allowed. :thumbsdown: There's all kinds of ducks around my house, but when we go to the lake there/s nothing. I have pellet guns, but the velocity isn't enough for duck hunting. I think I'll buy one with a better velocity. I will figure it out one way or another.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Yeah, I know how you feel, not having transportation. I was there once too. Your dad just doesn't want to risk his and your life for duck hunting and that is understandable. The roads are pretty bad. Look at it this way, you got the whole rest of your life to duck hunt. :thumbsup:

Hang in there, buddy. :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby bruno67 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:26 pm

ya we went out a mile from my house on the arkansas river and shot 19 greys 3 mallards and 2 teal in an hour it was pretty good
~( EVERYONE READY ????? ALRIGHT BOYS !!!! TAKE ' EM)~
bruno67
hunter

Postby Deano » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Hit the wrong button yesterday morning,,,, disable instead of snooze, so I over slept. This morning tho, drove to Muskogee, had my gun go "click" instead of boom on first greenhead, then got the next greenhead. One for one if you don't count the click! Man, wish Tulsa and Tulsa County would work on their roads like OTA works on the turnpikes.
Now I need a spot closer to Collinsville, this 1.2 hour drive for one dang duck is getting old!!

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks ohsobad. It's nice to have people to talk to. I know it's supposed to be a tough age to go through in life, but it seems like my friends thrive in it, I don't get that and never will. Probably b/c sitting and playing computer games makes them happy, and they will never enjoy or even try the sport of hunting. I don't think that my dad understands b/c when he was growing up he had 100 acres to hunt and fish on, on the weekends at least. It was harder for him physically, but it's harder for me mentally, dealing with a million things at once. We have 6 acres right now, some say I'm lucky but I say I'm not b/c all I can do is work in the garden in the summer, build a barn, gather firewood, etc, and not hunt. And it's frustrating b/c all of our relatives have land they can hunt on, but its 2 hours to the SE. That's one of the disadvantages of living in a growing suburb. I wish we lived closer to our relatives, but the job situation won't allow it. I wish a lot of things, but then there is reality, and the unforgivingness of live. I don't even know if that is a word. I absolutely hate cities, except of the convienence of stores and restaraunts.I am feeling the same pain as you Deano, for the last 2 years on almost every hunt we drive at least 1.5hrs and get 1-3 ducks each time. You don't live very far north of me-collinsville. I'm frustrated that there's no public land within 25 miles of us, and yet that is Skiatook(land of the #&*@ annoying jet skiiers in the summer), and the land of nothing in the winter, except deer hunting. I wonder why they dont make any public land? I think b/c they are afraid the suburbs will expand too much and surround the area. If we get out of this drought, the duck hunting will hopefully be like it was 5 years ago. I wish my shooting then was as good then as it is now. I think the last time I limited out in the regular season was January 2002. I am in desperate need of a limit. It looks like I could hunt 1 or 2 more times before the season ends. Wow, when I put a little effort into it I can sure type a lot. :toofunny:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:25 pm

:toofunny: Do I get a prize for reading all that??? :yes: :yes: :laughing:

You sound very mature for your age and you have a good view of things. Like i said, hang in there.
Another thing to be thankful for is that you have a father that will take you duck hunting and spend quality time with you. Even though it may not appear that way to you, there is a lot of kids that have fathers that don't spend time with them and don't care about them.
I don't want to come off as a preacher, lord knows I am not. :oops:

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby perkins_quack_addict » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:55 pm

Friday the roads were getting nasty and all my friends were getting out of school. I called my dad and asked him if I could come home so he checked me out of school at 12. Then me, my dad and his friend loaded up and headed to our secret pond 300 yards from the cimmaron river. We jumped it and didn't get one but we put a few decoys out and set down in a matter of an hour we bagged 16 ducks. 10 mallards, 4 Gadwalls, 1 teal and a wood duck. Today (Sunday) Me, my dad and his friend went to the same pond we expected it to be iced over but there were so many ducks roosting there that they had a large hole of open water so today we didn't need any decoys at all so we set down and in 45 minutes we limited out with 18 ducks 3 mallards and the rest were gadwalls and I got my first wood duck! (I was excited) I'll try to put a picture on here tommorow. But yeah it was a successful day.
perkins_quack_addict
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:27 am

Hmm.......I can't think of a reply.........I think I have used it all up in that last post... Father Ohsobad. :laughing: Since you mentioned preacher, you just get the satisfaction of knowing that you helped someone out. Other than that, well, uh, *cough*, you get to wear your eyes out reading all of my posts. :toofunny: It can get lonely here sometimes, the only thing I can talk to sometimes is my dog- my friends are mostly city slickers and the ones that live similar to the way I do are too far away. I usually talk to my parents about problems, but not disagreements with them, b/c it's just a bad idea and not a good thing to do, unless I wanted to be in trouble all the time, speaking of trouble I had a very close call a few days ago at lunch at school. I was eating applesauce, and my friend tried to steal my granola bar so I slammed my fist on the table to stop him. And guess what was in my fist? An open container of applesauce. As you would guess the applesauce exploded like Mount St. Helens and covered almost everyone. Everyone started cracking up laughing and couldn't stop. I am laughing as I am typing this. I had it all in my hair and my right sleeve. Others weren't so lucky. Before the applessauce even came back down the was a swarm of teachers that seemed to come from all directions. I thought for sure it would be either detention(which has no purpose), or a 3 page report(can be done in 15 min) :toofunny: But no, the vice principal (I call him Mr. Retard, and I think he is one) asked if it was an accident, and everyone said yes, so I didn't get in trouble. And believe it or not, a similar thing happened to me in the 1st grade. I sure have bad luck with applesauce. :toofunny:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:01 pm

No prize?.?.?.?...... :laughing:

Applesauce is da debil!!!! :yes:

Hopefully the roads will be nice and clear and you will get some huntig in this weekend. Let me know how you did. :thumbsup:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:22 am

Well not today, that's for sure(my dad's going to Colorado Springs), but I am confident that I will go this coming weekend(As long as there's not another blizzard). Today I have no school b/c of blizzard. Yahoo. I didn't miss anything after all, talked to a relative from Muskogee and he hunted Sat. & Sun. I think and his group only got only 2 gadwalls and a mallard. And of course they have no electricity. Probably why our Muskogee friends haven't posted anything. They better have a fireplace or generator or they will be very cold. I saw that Muskogee was on the world news yesterday. The only attention Oklahoma gets nationally is if there's a blizzard or a murderer :toofunny: , but that's fine, we already have enough people crowding in. I think(and hope) all the birds are right behind the front, I haven't seen a duck in 3 or 4 days, of course most of the time I'm sitting right here.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Deano » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am

Man, I need a spot like Perkins has! Sounds like he's got the hot spot right now.
What's frustrating is there's a pond 3/4 mile from the house that has 3-5dz ducks on it tyipcally but the owner won't let anyone hunt or fish on it! Drive by it daily and those ducks just quack at me..........yep, right at ME! he he he oh well, such is life.
Thinking another trip to Eufaula is due before season is over, it's work but at least I see ducks when I've been down there.
Wish Oologah would get about 2 foot higher so the sloughs there would fill up a bit. Maybe next year.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby bc4759 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:15 pm

yea deano perkins is my cousin and i have hunted that pond with him and his dad too, i was at that pond about 10 with 2 friends and we got our limit in 45 minutes, all about 10 yard shots with 5 decoys out, I have never seen ducks respond to a call like these, you would be setting there not calling and they would circle once and act like they were leaving and i would hit them with a greeting call and they would lock in and set in our dekes. It was awesome..
hey perkins check your private message box..
bc4759
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:17 pm

I also wish I had some type of spot closer. I'm tired of wasted trips to far away places. Oologah is closets, which is at least 30min. There's quite a few fields around me but no ponds except in my neighborhood, which of course is illegal to hunt. Skiatook is pretty close but like I said before it is rocky, deep and clear in most parts, heavily timbered in the rest, and on top of that it is 11ft below normal. :thumbsdown: Next season if Copan is full I will be hunting there, but until then....Oologah is almost up to normal, a foot below. I will be hunting at Sequoyah NWR in a few days hopefully, will tell what happened after. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby perkins_quack_addict » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey Deano. If you dont mind going out of your way for a good duck hunt you should head up to Kaw Lake north of Ponca City. I took a trip up there a couple of weeks ago and there were literally thousands of ducks in the sky at sunset it was amazing.
perkins_quack_addict
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 pm

perkins_quack_addict wrote:Hey Deano. If you dont mind going out of your way for a good duck hunt you should head up to Kaw Lake north of Ponca City. I took a trip up there a couple of weeks ago and there were literally thousands of ducks in the sky at sunset it was amazing.

I hunt Kaw Lake quit frequently.....Kaw holds a lot of birds, thats for sure. where did you hunt on the lake?
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:06 am

No hunting this weekend for me... Since we have no electric I figured it'd be best to stay home with the wife. I saw thousands of ducks flying over the river ALL weekend long. I am glad the cold is here, but I need a little warmup to thaw my slough.

But hey.... This weekend is looking better!!!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby Deano » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:15 am

I grew up just south of Kaw Dam but know nothing of hunting on the lake other than you gotta go way up north and I don't know nuttin about lake hunting.......... would love to see that many ducks tho..........just as many hunters as ducks???

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:17 am

I have tried Kaw a couple of times, the first time without a boat which was a huge disadvantage. There were lots of ducks on the main lake and lots of shooting from boat hunters, but we couldn't get to the ducks. :thumbsdown:

2nd tme we brought the boat, but it was 70+degrees, the lake was below normal and couldn't launch the boat. :thumbsdown: I think an airboat is a must for Kaw. I read somewhere that since the water is so shallow you can try walking as far as you can into the lake. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me b/c if the lake level rose quick you would be dead. We don't go to Kaw b/c it's too much of a gamble; if we limit out, hey that's good, but if we shoot 1 or 2, or get nothing, big waste of time and gas/money. If the duck hunting is good at Kaw, then it usually is also good at Sequoyah NWR, which is much closer and we're more familiar with it. But I am warning you Deano, Kaw isn't a sure thing. Right now the duck hunting is probably good, I think it would be worth a try.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby perkins_quack_addict » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:58 am

Yeah deano we hunted on the north side of kaw right by the mouth of the arkansas river. Right directly across from us there was a flooded cockleburr field and that is where the ducks were roosting at. We would of bagged more birds but before sunrise an obxonious airboat was running in through there and spooking all the birds before shooting light. We also had to be in our spot at 5 o clock because about 20 minutes later there was another group of hunters looking for a blind where we were so I defintely agree with what you said there are as many hunters as there are ducks. That day the ducks were flying high but id say if you are confident in your calling and have a good decoy spread and you dont mind getting up early you should defintely try the north side of Kaw.
perkins_quack_addict
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Yup, sounds like you were on the Beaver arm of the river, Perkins.

There is some excellent shooting up in there, but you do have to know the lake well and know where to go. There are TONS of places to hunt Kaw lake.....so there is always somewhere to go away from other hunters. :thumbsup:

Shoveler.....Kaw lake is about 2.5 feet above normal level right now.....that is plenty of water to get up into beaver creek. We have been hunting there all year and doing very well.....we average about 5 ducks per hunt.

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:36 pm

Well I am unfamiliar with Kaw and am certainly not willing to get up at 2:30 in the morning. Like I said before Kaw is simply too far. I guess we will have to learn better techniques when hunting pressure is heavy. I keep telling my dad we need to find a closer spot but it seems like he has other things to do(I wish he would get a different job but the pay is good so I guess not). I would rather be able to not afford some gear and be able to hunt more than afford everything and not ever get to go.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting