best duck hunting in zone 1 Oklahoma opening weekend

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

best duck hunting in zone 1 Oklahoma opening weekend

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 am

Haha jk. But for real though....anyone wanna set the over/under for amount of views this gets by Friday?
Had a great weekend in the panhandle and hoping my gamble pays off in the metro this weekend. If any of yall are out and hear someone playing "its raining men" or "I touch myself" before lst don't be afraid to come say hi. Good luck everyone (including you dw) :beer:
sooner737
hunter

Re: best duck hunting in zone 1 Oklahoma opening weekend

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:38 am

250 by Friday and I think thats low

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:05 am

Ill take the over on that. Idk actually that could be close. I forget its Wednesday already. Ill stick with a late push of internet scouters this evening and Friday morning. 7:00pm Friday is deadline.
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 am

I expect more from you sooner lol
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 am

okduckdude wrote:I expect more from you sooner lol

Are you referring to my sweet taste in in music
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 am

sooner737 wrote:

No that I expected....

I'm referring to your overall post.

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

okduckdude wrote:
sooner737 wrote:

No that I expected....

I'm referring to your overall post.

I was on the tail end of a 4 hour drive trying to stay awake. I had written s much better put together post but my phone has a habit of sometimes not submitting posts....im not good at creating only manipulating sorry ok!
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:52 am

sooner737 wrote:

Personally, I have/play "Dueling Banjos". Fitting for the fact that I role in a canoe. Especially good to play when somebody goes with me for the first time.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:
sooner737 wrote:

Personally, I have/play "Dueling Banjos". Fitting for the fact that I role in a canoe. Especially good to play when somebody goes with me for the first time.

I personally plan on making friends with you one day so I can join the yak attack. So many possibilities and questions I need answered. Hows the shooting out of those things? Do Do people kind of blankly stare at you as you come paddling across the water? Does some ****** in a motor boat ever try to screw with you?
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I have actually never duck hunted out of the yak or the canoe, and have really only used the yak (waterfowling) during teal season as I carry fewer decoys for teal (can easily transport 6 or 7 dozen teal dekes, a few Canada shells, gun, chair, blind bag).

For "real" duck season, I always have the canoe and usually carry 100+ dekes and gear. Whether yak or canoe, I only use it to transport gear to the spot, set up, then hide the canoe a few 100 yards away. And I never have to worry about motor boats (for the most part) as I only hunt water that is 3 inches to a foot deep on average, meaning a) I hunt where boats usually can't/won't go, and b) I hunt safe - people think I'm crazy to hunt "out of a canoe", when in reality I'm safer in it than "real boats".

I have shot a few rail out of the yak. My yak is a sit on top yak, set up for fishing. The sit on top types are much stabler than the sit inside of. I can sit sideways on my yak with my feet dangling off to the side. I am in the process of rigging up the yak to hunt out of though in "open water", kind off like a layout boat. "Open water" meaning water that is still only 6" deep, but zero cover.

I do, though, get a lot of stares and/or comments. If you "search" canoe picture on this OK forum, you can see a pic of the Beverly Hillbilly canoe
Last edited by Duck Whisperer on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby lost » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm

I've used pirogues, yaks and canoes on the skinny water on the coast. I'm really suprised that more people haven't caught onto the idea. I can shoot out of a yak or canoe, but mainly it is just used to get into the shallower spots where the big boats won't go.
lost
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I've been on the water in questionable watercraft..... Woooo

okduckdude
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I've actually been one time back on Chesapeake Bay when we "sunk" the boat duck hunting in January. This being with extremely experienced duck hunters/commercial waterman that knew our way around the water. Caca happens. It's kinda like luck with shooting a banded duck - more often than not it is based on putting in many a day hunting and getting lucky. Running into trouble on the water can be the same - if you are out there countless days over decades, you are bound to have an unlucky experience, regardless of experience. At least one "comfort" my wife has about my duck hunting is the fact that she knows I pretty much only hunt water shallow enough that I won't drown.

Back to our sinking the boat. Luckily it happenned on the way in within a few hunded yards of shore in about five foot of water.Easily could have been VERY bad.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm

It is something very serious. I often joke about a lot of things but water safety is something that I'm more of a stickler than Internet scouters... Among other things. Nevertheless I put myself into many questionable situations and it's literally by the grace of God I have made it home with some of them. It all comes down to knowing your limits, I know mine and I don't push them unless I absolutely have to. I spend a lot of time on the water in cold weather so water safety is something that I don't tread lightly on....

okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:I've actually been one time back on Chesapeake Bay when we "sunk" the boat duck hunting in January. This being with extremely experienced duck hunters/commercial waterman that knew our way around the water. Caca happens. It's kinda like luck with shooting a banded duck - more often than not it is based on putting in many a day hunting and getting lucky. Running into trouble on the water can be the same - if you are out there countless days over decades, you are bound to have an unlucky experience, regardless of experience. At least one "comfort" my wife has about my duck hunting is the fact that she knows I pretty much only hunt water shallow enough that I won't drown.

Back to our sinking the boat. Luckily it happenned on the way in within a few hunded yards of shore in about five foot of water.Easily could have been VERY bad.

I know what you mean...sometimes no matter how careful you're trying to be, sh1t happens. Even when hunting a familiar area, lake levels/conditions can change daily, equipment fails...sooner or later it will happen to anyone that does it regularly.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting