thoughts on the framework of the OK duck season

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

thoughts on the framework of the OK duck season

Postby XR2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:58 am

First of all, my apologies if this has been beaten to death previously. At the risk of not sounding 'hard core' enough I'm finding it harder and harder each year to get jazzed up about the first split of the Zone 2 duck season and just wish they'd open the season 2 weeks later and run it through non-stop. It seems like every year we get the same old "record levels of ducks" report from DU and USFWS and then most of November we're out there swatting at bugs in the blind talking about how warm it is and wondering how long it will take for birds to push down. Or maybe that's a conversation I have with myself in my head :help:

It seems to me that the real good duck hunts fall in place right around thanksgiving at the earliest with regards to any level of consistency? General thoughts?
XR2
hunter

Re: thoughts on the framework of the OK duck season

Postby LTMFH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Banded Ducks Ive shot First half before Thanksgiving.

Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 pm

LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Or let us hunt into the first week or two of February.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 pm

10% of the Duck Hunters kill 90% of the harvested Ducks NO matter when the season is set. IMHO
LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 pm

LTMFH wrote:10% of the Duck Hunters kill 90% of the harvested Ducks NO matter when the season is set. IMHO

Don't tell that to Obama...there will be people waiting in the parking lots and you will have to distribute your limit to the guys who didn't harvest anything.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
LTMFH wrote:10% of the Duck Hunters kill 90% of the harvested Ducks NO matter when the season is set. IMHO

Don't tell that to Obama...there will be people waiting in the parking lots and you will have to distribute your limit to the guys who didn't harvest anything.

Exactly!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:48 pm

The explanation I have read (USFWS not allowing duck season to go into February) is "well in Feb if we shoot at ducks it messes with their breeding/mating routine". But they're already pairing in January and they get shot at that entire month...so we're screwing with it regardless.

I like the split though, it allows them to congregate in large numbers, stupid them up a bit for the 2nd opener and almost always results in at least 2-3 great hunts on the 2nd opener and after.

IMO the only way would be to extend the season a couple weeks into Feb. Which is never gonna happen.

Also I have had a few Novembers that were really good (mainly referring to early 2000s). Even toward the beginning of the month. Just haven't had one in a while. November 2011 was good for some people I know, but I didn't get to hunt very much around that time.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:The explanation I have read (USFWS not allowing duck season to go into February) is "well in Feb if we shoot at ducks it messes with their breeding/mating routine". But they're already pairing in January and they get shot at that entire month...so we're screwing with it regardless.

I like the split though, it allows them to congregate in large numbers, stupid them up a bit for the 2nd opener and almost always results in at least 2-3 great hunts on the 2nd opener and after.

IMO the only way would be to extend the season a couple weeks into Feb. Which is never gonna happen.

Also I have had a few Novembers that were really good (mainly referring to early 2000s). Even toward the beginning of the month. Just haven't had one in a while. November 2011 was good for some people I know, but I didn't get to hunt very much around that time.

I know it will never happen, just saying I never see as many ducks as I do in February. For the 11 years I have been hunting with a gun in my hand last year was my best year. Didn't hunt the 11/12 season though and barely even got out the 10/11 season.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I actually do really well in November, but I think it depends a lot on location. The 2nd and 3rd weekends in Nov are traditionally my best. December is usually pretty good for me too. January is very hit or miss with me over the past 14 years. I've had some crazy good hunts in January, but many more where I haven't fired a shot. Seems like when it's a mild January it is slow for me. I don't think I would be in favor of extending into Feb. I like it the way it is with the split, but I can see why some may not.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 pm

mallards&morels wrote:I actually do really well in November, but I think it depends a lot on location. The 2nd and 3rd weekends in Nov are traditionally my best. December is usually pretty good for me too. January is very hit or miss with me over the past 14 years. I've had some crazy good hunts in January, but many more where I haven't fired a shot. Seems like when it's a mild January it is slow for me. I don't think I would be in favor of extending into Feb. I like it the way it is with the split, but I can see why some may not.

This is the key no matter what month.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:44 pm

mallards&morels wrote:I actually do really well in November, but I think it depends a lot on location. The 2nd and 3rd weekends in Nov are traditionally my best. December is usually pretty good for me too. January is very hit or miss with me over the past 14 years. I've had some crazy good hunts in January, but many more where I haven't fired a shot. Seems like when it's a mild January it is slow for me. I don't think I would be in favor of extending into Feb. I like it the way it is with the split, but I can see why some may not.

Starting 2 weeks later, keeping the split, and going into Feb would be my dream scenario.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 pm

XR2 wrote:First of all, my apologies if this has been beaten to death previously. At the risk of not sounding 'hard core' enough I'm finding it harder and harder each year to get jazzed up about the first split of the Zone 2 duck season and just wish they'd open the season 2 weeks later and run it through non-stop. It seems like every year we get the same old "record levels of ducks" report from DU and USFWS and then most of November we're out there swatting at bugs in the blind talking about how warm it is and wondering how long it will take for birds to push down. Or maybe that's a conversation I have with myself in my head :help:

It seems to me that the real good duck hunts fall in place right around thanksgiving at the earliest with regards to any level of consistency? General thoughts?

The married life has changed you :lol:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby tealtime » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Dang XR2, season hasn't even opened and Whisperer comes out swinging!
tealtime
hunter

Postby XR2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 am

tealtime wrote:Dang XR2, season hasn't even opened and Whisperer comes out swinging!

HA, its all good, i'll probably just run out of shells and have to burn off some of his sometime soon :lol3:

I am quite impressed with how respectfully people can discuss this. Where I grew up hunting (Ohio) the duck season dates depended on how far north or south in the state you were and the Lake Erie Marsh Duck Clubs had a lot of pull on season dates and people further south griped their late season field hunting was compromised by the high dollar clubs wanting to hunt the marshes prior to freeze-up. It was a pretty contentious thing at times...
Last edited by XR2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
XR2
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 am

I couldn't wait 2 more weeks. Since my 2 youngest got to hunt 10/19 and 20th this year, it has been torture on me waiting my turn.

About the only thing I would like to see changed, would be for the Deer gun season and our split to coincide. I am not a real big fan of being out duck hunting when people are shooting high powered rifles. There are quite a few of our better duck hunting spots that we won't hunt Nov 23-Dec 1, because we know people will be out hunting deer nearby.

Wasn't a huge fan of youth deer and youth duck being at the same time this year either. Just begging for an accident and forcing the kids to choose between the 2.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:16 am

OkieDuckFever wrote:I couldn't wait 2 more weeks. Since my 2 youngest got to hunt 10/19 and 20th this year, it has been torture on me waiting my turn.

About the only thing I would like to see changed, would be for the Deer gun season and our split to coincide. I am not a real big fan of being out duck hunting when people are shooting high powered rifles. There are quite a few of our better duck hunting spots that we won't hunt Nov 23-Dec 1, because we know people will be out hunting deer nearby.

Wasn't a huge fan of youth deer and youth duck being at the same time this year either. Just begging for an accident and forcing the kids to choose between the 2.

Agree 100%! When I hunted public land we were always a little nervous with the deer hunters. And it's not the experienced ones I was concerned with.....it's the guys that go out there once a year, a few of them even drunk, that don't practice proper safety and etiquette.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 am

OkieDuckFever wrote:........About the only thing I would like to see changed, would be for the Deer gun season and our split to coincide..........

1000% agree. Makes no sense to me. Pretty sure politics of some sort plays a role as XR2's Ohio duck reg politics example.

TIP: During deer season, if you wear hunter orange hat up until LST for safety reasons, don't forget to change to camo hat at LST. Ducks didn't dart near as well with that orange hat for some reason.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Not to mention all of the "hardcore duck hunters" seem to crawl out of their dens right after rifle season...... "Ive been hunting this spot all season".... No sir you have not because duck season does not start when rifle season ends......
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Leave it like it is, but make sure split is during rifle season for deer.

I remember years ago (point system & lead shot days) looking forward to hunting around Halloween. Some years were so so. Other years were phenomenal.
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting