Pintails in sloughs

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Pintails in sloughs

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I discovered a slough towards the end of last season and shot mallards, teal, and Woodies in it. Haven't checked it yet due to lack of time. Most scouting reports are saying there are pintails in the area. Question is do any of y'all shoot Pintails in backwater sloughs? I was thinking about running several pintail decoys, some teal, and a couple mallards...maybe 10 decoys with 3 on a jerk string. Just not sure if Pintails use habitat like that.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: Pintails in sloughs

Postby mallards&morels » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Our blind is in a slough off of a major river and I always get a few sprigs out of our slough each season. But it seems like most are on the big water a few miles from our blind.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 pm

I could tell you exactly what to do after I hunt it :P

But really, pintails will use coves and sloughs. You just need to scout it out to determine what to use.....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 pm

okduckdude wrote:I could tell you exactly what to do after I hunt it :P

But really, pintails will use coves and sloughs. You just need to scout it out to determine what to use.....

I'll pm you the cords, let me know.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:44 am

I think it would be spotty at best. But you can say that for almost anywhere in Oklahoma. Pinnies seem to scoot through and be gone in my opinion. There's a spot here and there that might hold them awhile but I just haven't noticed them to be consistant anywhere around here. In fairness, I don't hunt a flooded corn field or even flooded milo field. We use trail cams to watch our pond all year long. Last year we didn't pick up a pintail until February 24. They were gone the next day. We always have at least a dozen in our spread and take two or three a year. Go ahead and put the decoys out. I like to use them because you never know, and the white on the drakes stands out in the shadows.
Attachments
PRMS1267.JPG
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:14 am

soonerdrake wrote:I think it would be spotty at best. But you can say that for almost anywhere in Oklahoma. Pinnies seem to scoot through and be gone in my opinion. There's a spot here and there that might hold them awhile but I just haven't noticed them to be consistant anywhere around here. In fairness, I don't hunt a flooded corn field or even flooded milo field. We use trail cams to watch our pond all year long. Last year we didn't pick up a pintail until February 24. They were gone the next day. We always have at least a dozen in our spread and take two or three a year. Go ahead and put the decoys out. I like to use them because you never know, and the white on the drakes stands out in the shadows.

Kind of my thoughts, I don't think it would hurt to throw two drakes in there. I didn't shoot my first one until last year and that was out on the lake shore...luckiest shot ever might I ad.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 am

I meant to say at least four and usually six. A dozen would be way overkill. We put out six because we are eternal optimists and consider bagging a pinnie drake a rare treat. A couple of years ago we shot a single drake that came in to a mixed gaddie/mallard spread with no pintail decoys. Bad timing on his part.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am

IF you got a backwater deal not far from Big Water ... you done IMO CUT A FAT HOG IN DA ASS! Pins ... if in an area ... will use spots that other ducks visit. Especially when the wind is high and all ducks is look'n for a good spot to get out of the wind! I do think and this is only OPINION based on OBSERVATION over the years is that SOLO FLY'N PINS or in small groups of Drakes of say three or four do gravitate to the backwater spots a bit more readily than those that migrate in larger groupings! One thing you can hang your hat on is that when ducks move in on say a big front they tend to stage into larger bodies of water. Then ... IF ... they find what they like and make the decision to stick around a few days or so they then tend to break down into smaller groups and head away from the larger water except to ROOST and into towards the more private and secluded FEEDING and LAZING bodies of water. And, there is a difference between the two types!

Good Luck and I'd RIDE DAT HOLE FOR ALL SHE WAS WORTH and that should put the percentages in our favor of cross'n paths with a BIG SPRIG later on in the season!

Good luck!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:44 am

As implied in above posts, # pins dependent is on many factors. I actually see a fair number of pins each year; shoot 12 to 15 drakes on average each year ( while I am by no means a drake only guy, I do pass on hen Pins for whatever reason).

One tidbit I wanted to throw in here that may be a factor as to why some hunters (not really talking about above posters as I don't know them or how they hunt) in general "seem to never see/kill pintails" is that .......at one or more of the spots I frequent, I may see a stray pin or pair the first few hours, BUT, the big 30 to 50 all pintail groups don't seem to appear until noonish.....when a lot of hunters have been gone for hours. Might just be this way at my spot(s).....?????
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:As implied in above posts, # pins dependent is on many factors. I actually see a fair number of pins each year; shoot 12 to 15 drakes on average each year ( while I am by no means a drake only guy, I do pass on hen Pins for whatever reason).

One tidbit I wanted to throw in here that may be a factor as to why some hunters (not really talking about above posters as I don't know them or how they hunt) in general "seem to never see/kill pintails" is that .......at one or more of the spots I frequent, I may see a stray pin or pair the first few hours, BUT, the big 30 to 50 all pintail groups don't seem to appear until noonish.....when a lot of hunters have been gone for hours. Might just be this way at my spot(s).....?????

When we would hunt a certain spot on the lake last year we would get out there around 3 am. We started to notice that we rarely shot at birds until about 10 am. Most of the shooting was 11 am-1 pm. It was right about noon when I shot that Pintail last year.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Lots of Pintails on Sandbars up and down the river down here. They like flat wide open spots with no trees. Like a midriver Sandbar.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 pm

LTMFH
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:As implied in above posts, # pins dependent is on many factors. I actually see a fair number of pins each year; shoot 12 to 15 drakes on average each year ( while I am by no means a drake only guy, I do pass on hen Pins for whatever reason).

I concur. Seems like they fly, and decoy better, later than most ducks.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Good Point DW and I for one wholeheartedly agree ... Pins seem to sleep in later and get out and on the move later in the day than most other species! Seen this for YEARS!

Already shot several Pinnies this Fall and I do pass on them from time to time ... I think it comes from them being a bit on the scarce side and down in their numbers for years ... I have one for the wall already and there are times I just like to SIT and WATCH THEM!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby garmater » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 pm

We have shot them in everything from large lakes to dry fields. It does seem like you are either going to just see a few or a ton there is no in between. We have had morning where we will shoot four man limits of pintail before we kill any other species then they are almost a nuisance the rest of the morning do to them dive bombing your spread.
Those areant just any ducks those are dirty ducks.
Dirty Duck Mafia
garmater
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:42 am

We kill quite a few of them ever year. Not so much in sloughs but they sure love flooded peanuts.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

garmater wrote:We have shot them in everything from large lakes to dry fields. It does seem like you are either going to just see a few or a ton there is no in between. We have had morning where we will shoot four man limits of pintail before we kill any other species then they are almost a nuisance the rest of the morning do to them dive bombing your spread.

Also true, especially later in the season. On many occasions I have been eaten alive by Pintails. Have had a few hundred swimming all about. Nice to watch.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Added two more Drake Pintails to my Total Saturday.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Pretty nice raffia dye color match to the smartweed. Was that an off the shelf dye or did you mix it?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Pretty nice raffia dye color match to the smartweed. Was that an off the shelf dye or did you mix it?

It was off the shelf. It was not a close enough match for me. I took it all off Sunday and replaced it with the dark moss. Much better match.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm

LTMFH wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Pretty nice raffia dye color match to the smartweed. Was that an off the shelf dye or did you mix it?

It was off the shelf. It was not a close enough match for me. I took it all off Sunday and replaced it with the dark moss. Much better match.

Assuming this is a pic of the "new dark moss" dye job with some loose smartweed thrown over the boat? It looks good. The dark moss dyed raffia does look a lot like the more rotted/aged base of the smartweed. That darker moss base should work good for several. various cover types (whereas the "red" dye could stick out away from smartweed spots.)

Got any good dyes (or mixes) to dye raffia to match winter wheat??
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am

Added two more Pintail Drakes this morning.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

LTMFH wrote:Added two more Pintail Drakes this morning.

You just going to keep this up until I bag one lol
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 pm

LTMFH wrote:Added two more Pintail Drakes this morning.

Is there any significance to the duck closest to the camera? You seem to have emphasized by laying it out on the tailgate in front of the other ducks. Is it not a mallard?
OKhunter
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:09 pm

OKhunter wrote:
Is there any significance to the duck closest to the camera? You seem to have emphasized by laying it out on the tailgate in front of the other ducks. Is it not a mallard?

Just a Mallard Drake in Eclipse plumage. Another site thinks it might me a Mallard/mottled Hybrid.

LTMFH
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting