Boat Blind/Cover

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Boat Blind/Cover

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:38 pm

2013-10-09 17.58.44.jpg
2013-10-09 17.58.44.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 440 times
I posted this up elsewhere but I'm thinking a little Okie ingenuity is going to be best. I'm looking at someway to cover my boat while I hunt from it. I'm liking a lot of what LTMFH has done with his EBADS and looking at something similar. However my boat is 14" I'm looking for something that can accommodate up to 2 hunters and a dog and to be low profile. What's your ideas everyone?!?!?!

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=330074
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Re: Boat Blind/Cover

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm

For that size boat, it would have to be something that folds up and down. Maybe a quickset or something homemade using conduit or PVC.
Laying on the floor gatorhide style would be very uncomfortable in a boat that small (I have done it in an 1860 and it just wasn't gonna work) and would limit your visibility...that's my experience though, maybe it's different for someone else.
And a hard side blind wouldn't work with a tiller.

Not sure how much that helps but with a 14 footer with 2 guys and a dog you are kinda limited as far as boat blinds go.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Shrek » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:08 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:For that size boat, it would have to be something that folds up and down. Maybe a quickset or something homemade using conduit or PVC.
Laying on the floor gatorhide style would be very uncomfortable in a boat that small (I have done it in an 1860 and it just wasn't gonna work) and would limit your visibility...that's my experience though, maybe it's different for someone else.
And a hard side blind wouldn't work with a tiller.

Not sure how much that helps but with a 14 footer with 2 guys and a dog you are kinda limited as far as boat blinds go.

A true gator hide from gator trax is built on a 60" floor. If it's set up properly and is an actual gator hide though, you could do it on a 48" bottom In a boat with moderately tall sides to lean against.

In a 1436 or 1448 you're pretty limited. Just build a scissors blind out of 3/4" conduit and call it good.
Shrek
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I did a 3 man layout from a 1642 and it was tight.... Including the dog.....

I now run a 1448 with myself, maybe another and a dog. I have a scissor blind on it and it works alright.

I wouldn't recommend a layout style in that dimly because if the bench seating arrangement..., basically it would allow for 2 hunters and no dog. Not much room... Plus it's very wet.

Having an scissor blind I stay drier and I'm comfortable... I may not be able to hide in shorter vegetation as well, but that's the price you pay sometimes....

I have thought about getting another 16 footer to replace my old 1642 and make it another layout boat simply for the purposes of hunting low vegetation, then again I would just get an momarsh or 4-rivers if going by myself most of the time..... Then again they aren't as stable on crossing open water in Oklahoma's high wind....

But as stated above I would go with a scissor blind.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm

I appreciate the ideas guys. Thanks.
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting