Rare ducks harvested in Oklahoma

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Rare ducks harvested in Oklahoma

Postby mallards&morels » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 pm

What is the rarest duck to Oklahoma that you have shot here? I've gotten several Cans, but not sure you can consider those truly "rare". Anyone here shot anything truly exotic? I heard of someone shooting an oldsquaw here a few years ago.
mallards&morels
hunter

Re: Rare ducks harvested in Oklahoma

Postby sooner737 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Exotic eh? Ive only shot 1 goldeneye....so that's my answer. Cans and red heads are pretty common the past 3 years here anyway. Esp around the house and dw's bedroom. I still always get excited to see a buffie. Anyone shot a cinnamon teal?
sooner737
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

sooner737 wrote:Exotic eh? Ive only shot 1 goldeneye....so that's my answer. Cans and red heads are pretty common the past 3 years here anyway. Esp around the house and dw's bedroom. I still always get excited to see a buffie. Anyone shot a cinnamon teal?

Funny that you say Goldeneye. That was the very first duck I shot in 1989. I don't think I've shot another here since (a drake anyway). Good question on the Cinnamon Teal. I've never even seen a cinnamon on the Eastern part of the state.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby JDog » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Probably the rarest bird I've killed is a Ruddy duck, but I wouldn't consider them rare. A buddy of mine killed an old squaw during the zone 1 opener last weekend and that I consider rare.
JDog
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 am

LTMFH wrote:Image

I am going to have to block you. Someone says they don't think the first split is any good, you show us all your bands from the first split. I talk about trying to shoot Pintails what do you do, post up a bunch of pictures of Pintails. Someone else talks about Goldeneyes, BAMM...you post a picture. Then to top it all off the Cinnamon teal? Maybe I am a jabroni but I am jealous. :beer:
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
LTMFH wrote:Image

I am going to have to block you. Someone says they don't think the first split is any good, you show us all your bands from the first split. I talk about trying to shoot Pintails what do you do, post up a bunch of pictures of Pintails. Someone else talks about Goldeneyes, BAMM...you post a picture. Then to top it all off the Cinnamon teal? Maybe I am a jabroni but I am jealous. :beer:

Watch it your treading thin ice even THINKIN about the rob in a negative manner. Even if it does seem a little....self serving at times.
sooner737
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am

Kinda afraid to brag about the midget I bagged at the strip club last night :fingerhead:
sooner737
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 am

LiquidA45 wrote:

When you been hunting ducks 30 to 40 days a year for 34 years you see and do a lot of special things. It also makes you an Old Man.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:51 am

LTMFH wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

When you been hunting ducks 30 to 40 days a year for 34 years you see and do a lot of special things. It also makes you an Old Man.

They say you reap what you sow, apparently you are a a great sower. Looking forward to learning a thing or two this season.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

LTMFH wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

I'm in that boat with ya Rob, but haven't ever shot anything real exotic. Between MD and here, I have shot about every type of duc, except most sea ducks. Shot a fair amount of mallard/black hybrids in MD, but they were fairly common (IMO). Think I killed a hen GWT/Pin here - very boring. I'd KILL to shoot a full plume BWT, but as you know based on plumage/season, we just don't see that. A cinny goes without saying, but same story as BWT if not rarer. (Did kill a "dull" cinny one December.) I am amazed you saw those. Can I ask when and what time of year? I will only ask where if the answer is something like "on a trip to TX or LA" ; anywher in OK is crazy!

Nice job.

My one chance at glory was back in MD; I had a good shot at a pair of Barnacle Geese but let them go for reasons I won't go into. Some old timers may understand. I personally am still torn about whether I did the right thing?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 pm

All three Cinnanon teal on Lake Texoma January 2007. One on a Thursday and two that next Saturday with my Middle Son.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Sweet! What an unusual treat!
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:10 pm

The Old Squaw may be the one some college kids shot up at Canton 8 to 10 years ago? They had good pics and posted it up ... got the I.D. from a State Bioligist off the pic ... asked to see the duck itself ... come to find out THEY HAD ALREADY EATEN IT ... ended up in a mess of Duck Poppers!

I shot a Juvenile Scoter Drake a few years back on Canton Lake... Wall Hang'n now. Every few years you hear of a Scoter being shot in Oklahoma or Arkansas. Other than that I don't know what else has showed up and got nailed?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby JDog » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Urban, the old squaw I was talking about was killed a week ago. Luckily it didn't fall victim to the duck poppers though! It's already at the taxidermist.
JDog
hunter

Postby domsmith4 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 pm

My buddies son got a surf scoter hen on sunday. Shot her on a 2 acre pondImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
domsmith4
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Those scoters are pretty rare I would say. That surprises me. I have shot quite a few goldneneye, so I dont consider them rare. I have shot a cinnamon teal also. The most rare imo would be a mottled duck or a whistling duck. I have seen both shot in OK.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 pm

I shot a couple of goldeneye one year and never thought anything of it, back then I considered divers trash ducks. Got some scoldings from a long time fowler for that stunt!
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am

Any sea duck in OK is a great find.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby lost » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:04 am

I've seen some weird things in the panhandle like Oldsquaw and Scoter, but nothing killed by me personally. I did see a Buffie drake, beautiful specimen near Stillwater. Just the usual, run of the mill, fat ol' grain fed mallard. Fine by me.

In the pandhandle of TX, I killed ruddy ducks and a Canvasback, which was rare for me, but then again, so were mallards from where I grew up.
lost
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:53 pm

Killed a good Chameleon Duck this past weekend :thumbsup:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Killed a good Chameleon Duck this past weekend :thumbsup:

Pics or it didn't happen
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:11 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Killed a good Chameleon Duck this past weekend :thumbsup:

Pics or it didn't happen

Nonbeliever. You calling me a liar? I got a witness, unfortunately. :no:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Chameleon Duck - semi-rare duck among veteran hunters (very common among newbies/DDs) that presents itself as a fast flying, head on teal shot in low light, only to magically transform itself into a spoonie as one pulls the trigger.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Where can I get one of those face masks?
LTMFH
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting