HELP!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

HELP!

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 pm

Well I finally get to go hunting tomorrow. But we can't decide whether to go to ft.gibson or sequoyah NWR. Gibson is 4.5ft above normal, we know a few places, but have never actually hunted there. I know there will be ducks at Sequoyah but there will also be lots of hunters, which means we could be beat to the best spots. What are the duck numbers like at these 2 places right now? Which would you recommend? :help:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Haven't hunted either of them, good luck and be safe. Let us know how you did. :thumbsup:

:salude: :salude: :salude: :salude: :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:03 am

Now it looks like we won't get to go until tomorrow, my dad has to work pretty much all day. But I think tomorrow is better than today, with the cold front moving through. The low was only 40 last night, which would probably mean minimal bird movement. But tonight the low is in the teens, which will be great for tomorrow. Hopefully it will freeze some ponds. We have decided to hunt at the refuge, it has been a lucky spot for us in the past years, and we haven't hunted at gibson before, so since its the last day of the season we will hunt there.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Deano » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:55 pm

Good luck! Not sure where I'm going tomorrow, muskogee or eufaula. Didn't feel good this morning so slept in and caught up on sleep. Gotta get one more day in.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Last Hunt

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:27 pm

I hunted in the afternoon(Sequoyah NWR), very slow at first, as usual someone stole our main spot, so plan B. Well, of course some stole our backup spot, which is usually dry, but it had water. So, we went to a good-looking spot in the middle of a slough(lots of empty hulls). 1 duck came by but it was out of range. Then people get bored and start leaving( stupid Arkies). Finally they left our preferred spot. So we picked up the decoys and moved there. After 30 min. a mallard drake glided perfectly into the decoys. Easy shot. It was also banded! It's been 5 years since I've shot a banded duck. We ended up with 2 mal. drakes, 1 hen, 1 teal drake. It was a pretty good hunt considering the amount of birds on the lake. The blind was also a wreck/mudhole, I think the lake level rose quite a bit last week. But, the good thing is, crappie and sand bass fishing in the spring are good to look forward to. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting