Opener PICS - post 'em if ya got 'em!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Opener PICS - post 'em if ya got 'em!

Postby cole1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Didn't get to hunt where, how, or as long as I wanted too for various reasons. Only killed 4 opener; was eaten up before and 30 minutes after LST by mostly teal and spoonies. Simply didn't shoot too much as I didn't want to be shooting spoonies. Cottonwood Creek WDU, in the far distance, sounded like WW III as usual. Can't translate what that means as opener day sometimes means lots of cormorants are shot there (and plenty were flying Saturday).

I was dismayed at the number of hunters in my general vicinity as "my" spot doesn't get hardly any pressure. Pretty sure nobody else around me killed anything as they were all set up in spots that veterans wouldn't consider hunting. Area is pretty much void of any real cover this year. Gotta use a layout blind and do some creative covering to hide well. Oh well, I'm hoping the newbies "see how bad this spot is" for duckin and don't return.

Gonna hit one of my "regular" spots this weekend and see how infested it is with newbies. I am very afraid.

Ole Cottonwood... Lotta Cormorants.... Lotta idiots....
cole1
hunter

Postby D-Brown07 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am

Four on Sunday by myself. Shutout on the opener.
Attachments
photo (13).JPG
photo (13).JPG (211.19 KiB) Viewed 631 times
D-Brown07
Newb

Postby garmater » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Got to take the newphew with us for his first duck hunt and he loved it.
Attachments
day1.jpg
quatro.jpg
Those areant just any ducks those are dirty ducks.
Dirty Duck Mafia
garmater
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:44 pm

cole1 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Didn't get to hunt where, how, or as long as I wanted too for various reasons. Only killed 4 opener; was eaten up before and 30 minutes after LST by mostly teal and spoonies. Simply didn't shoot too much as I didn't want to be shooting spoonies. Cottonwood Creek WDU, in the far distance, sounded like WW III as usual. Can't translate what that means as opener day sometimes means lots of cormorants are shot there (and plenty were flying Saturday).

I was dismayed at the number of hunters in my general vicinity as "my" spot doesn't get hardly any pressure. Pretty sure nobody else around me killed anything as they were all set up in spots that veterans wouldn't consider hunting. Area is pretty much void of any real cover this year. Gotta use a layout blind and do some creative covering to hide well. Oh well, I'm hoping the newbies "see how bad this spot is" for duckin and don't return.

Gonna hit one of my "regular" spots this weekend and see how infested it is with newbies. I am very afraid.

That's why I don't hunt there...................maybe later in the season
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby cole1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
cole1 wrote:

That's why I don't hunt there...................maybe later in the season

DW I understand very well! I grew up in that little town with one stop light you pass on your way!!! I went out there a couple times last year and promised myself I would never go back... I am very familiar with all of the backwoods spots out there... It seems like people are finding them!!! I think I'm sticking to my lease ponds this year... Tired of the idiots and competition... Every time I end up wanting to smack the stupid out of people in those areas! I'm sure can relate judging by some of your previous posts...
cole1
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:05 am

From Sunday, my first limit of Woodrows.

Gunner on a 2 for 1 retrieve
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Hunted the ole cottonwood yesrerday morn. 9 freakin trucks there, :fingerhead: managed a few spoonies and a greenhead. Had a few times this guy would break out the goose call on water turkeys.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Hey I was out there too! Those were geese man I promise! ha jk I heard that and was cracking up. I couldn't believe how many people were out there. Wasn't a whole lot of shooting going on for the number of people. Were you there by yourself? We had some birds working but couldn't get many to commit.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Yeah, I was a loner. Set up on the larger unit to the south, some of those groups dropped out of the frakkin stratosphere. Just not my cup of tea out there, would rather be in the sloughs or timber. I doubt I'll be back unless I decide to brave the river.
micneador
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm

After further inspection I realized that one duck was a hen pintail mixed in with the group of spoonies I shot into. Just figured it was a spoonie since it was in the group.
micneador
hunter

Postby cole1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:48 am

The ducks always show up there at 1:05pm... I hate that place. If there are 9 other groups of people hunting that place you are gonna be lucky to scratch up 1-2 maybe 3 on a good day... That's not a place you will limit out very often....
cole1
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

micneador wrote:Hunted the ole cottonwood yesrerday morn. 9 freakin trucks there, :fingerhead: managed a few spoonies and a greenhead. Had a few times this guy would break out the goose call on water turkeys.

9 trucks on a Wednesday??? That's crazy. It's been a long time since I've hunted Cottonwood and it was crowded back then. I can only imagine what a Saturday morning looks like now if there are that many during the week.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Micneador, did you walk past 3 guys and chat with them for a bit on that levy? If so you would have been talking to me
petrotk40
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm

No, that guy was sky busting the hell out of them to. Happened to pick up and finish one of his cripples that he made no attempt to go find. :no: I had the texas rigs, went to the south of yall. You had a couple groups almost commit, I was thinking on a few you were going to hammer em any moment. I'm thinking about brushing my yak and setting up in the very freakin middle of the wide open, se how they react to that.
micneador
hunter

Postby cole1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:52 pm

They will go wherever you aren't when you hunt there... It doesn't matter what you try... The birds are always skiddish on Cottonwood... They get educated very quickly there... Waste of time and energy making the hike in there.
cole1
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting