New pups for first time hunting dog owner

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New pups for first time hunting dog owner

Postby Deano » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Well we got two new black lab male pups thursday evening. Guess since hunting season is finished I will try my hand at training one for duck hunting next year.
Wish me luck.........................any suggestions???

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Good luck with your new pup........I recommend getting you a good book on training and read it over or perhaps some instructional videos.......and remember, patience patience patience. :thumbsup:

:salude: :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Deano » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:27 pm

I've borrowed "Retreiver Training" from my boss and read thru it once and started it again. Had the pups 2 days now, one of them has already got the lead rope figured out, walks by my leg and sits down when I stop. Guess this is good. :-)
I'm going to try best I can.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:07 pm

I will also probably be getting another lab this summer, the one we have right now is 8 yrs old...
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby BadlabinBville » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:43 pm

get the waterdog video by Richard Wolters. Also, look into your local hunting retriever club...www.threerivershrc.com
BadlabinBville
hunter

Water Dog! is great

Postby walterpklondike » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 pm

I have trained 4 dogs w/this book. 2 turned out to be good dogs and 2 were excelent water dogs, these 2 also were socialized more than the others. I would suggest taking them every were you can for the first 18 months if possible.Good Luck and Have Fun. Also if I had one peice of advice- Don't get mad, there will be times that the little pup will piss you off! Remember if they arn't doing what you want them to then, you haven't shown them what you want well enough, training failures were usually my fault not the dogs!
walterpklondike
Newb

Postby BadlabinBville » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 am

I completly agree with Walter. Socialization is huge part of forming a relationship with the dog.
BadlabinBville
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting