A note to the Young Fellas who want to be members of a Hunti

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

A note to the Young Fellas who want to be members of a Hunti

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Lately I've been noticing groups of 18 -20 year old kids that get together and call themselves hunting "crews"! Maybe I'm just too old to get why you need to come up with a catchy name (Duck Spankers, The Our Guns Are Bigger Than Your Guns and Our Dogs Have Bigger Nuts Too Crew, Bigguns Hunt Club, etc. ... The names have been made up to protect the innocent!!!) paint up their faces like the DD guys, grow sparse whiskers on those painted up faces and film their hunts. I don't know ... I just don't quite get it!

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this very topic yesterday morning over some cigars on the blind waiting for the birds to arrive. What we came up with is that we are just a couple guys that enjoy hunting with our friends and want to pass down the ART of hunting and RESPECT for God's creation learned from hunting to our young sons.

Bottom line ... Just because you like to hunt doesn't mean you gotta call yourself a "crew", act like others aren't supposed to be around where you are hunting and tell everyone you're sponsored ... Very few people get to hunt for a LIVING. Enjoy the sport and leisure of hunting and STOP TAKING YOURSELF SO SERIOUSLY!! Now, who's up for some coffee and some hunting stories???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Re: A note to the Young Fellas who want to be members of a H

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Amen!!!

We ran into a "crew" I think this morning where I'd built a brush blind. GPS showed me heading right for they're flashlights, buddy asks if we're gonna make them scoot.

I said no it's public land and they got the right to it much as us, it's those palmettos and yaupon that's another story. Eased right by them and stacked the brush on the bow and left, guess they thought I'd give them footage of some older guy claiming they're spot. If they got any it was me waving while taking the only cover there was on the whole shoreline. ;):D
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Thankfully, I haven't encountered this. I haven't spent a lot of time hunting public land since the early 2000s, and since then I have hunted remote areas that are hard to get to (flooded timber and the like). Are these hunting clubs a pretty recent invention?
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey I paint my face..... But I've been doing it for 15 years and painting for at least 10....

My "crew" is myself and dog. Sometimes I wish he could film because we go on some adventures. I do sometimes hunt with others but it's seldom. Like you said, many kids are trying to be like the guys on tv, they don't realize that it's a very tough life to make a living at.

That being said we as the more seasoned and mature waterfowlers (I'm not referring to the old farts only, but us that have been doing this their entire life) need to show this up and coming group how to respectfully and with dignity and honor, hunt for ducks....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:34 pm

jeff_osu wrote:Are these hunting clubs a pretty recent invention?

Wouldn't say they're a club but a group of guys calling themselves a team. Club I imagine is like a hunting lease where these crews are hunting buddies that need a gimmick:/
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby duck501 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:04 pm

I also say Amen. Hunting to me is spending time with good friends and good dogs. Been doing this for almost 20 years
now. old hunters just need to pass the tradition down.
duck501
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:45 pm

As long as they have good etiquette, respect, and safety practices they can call themselves whatever they want in my opinion. It's not their name or lack thereof, it is their actions. I don't really understand the name thing either, but if they're having fun then more power to them. As long as they're doing it the right way.
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:11 pm

mallards&morels wrote:As long as they have good etiquette, respect, and safety practices they can call themselves whatever they want in my opinion. It's not their name or lack thereof, it is their actions. I don't really understand the name thing either, but if they're having fun then more power to them. As long as they're doing it the right way.

Sums it up nicely:cool:
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 am

Russ-n-Brazoria wrote:
mallards&morels wrote:As long as they have good etiquette, respect, and safety practices they can call themselves whatever they want in my opinion. It's not their name or lack thereof, it is their actions. I don't really understand the name thing either, but if they're having fun then more power to them. As long as they're doing it the right way.

Sums it up nicely:cool:

I also agree with that philosophy. I more often than not, don't encounter crews like that however.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Every generation has their own style and does things different. But they sure do it more different now.
Jerkstring
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting