Hunting in wind/rain?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Hunting in wind/rain?

Postby duckshot58 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 pm

I plan on hunting in the morning despite the 20+ mph wind and drizzle, has anybody had any luck in similar conditions? In my limited experience duck hunting it seems like they decoy a lot easier the more miserable it is outside, but I've never hunted in rain before
duckshot58
hunter

Re: Hunting in wind/rain?

Postby DucknGoodTime » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Ive had pretty good hunts in light rain and winds. Monday was off and on rain and winds were pumping up around 15. Managed 4 birds before I had to pull up and get back home.

Blessings,
Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby mallards&morels » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 pm

We've always had pretty good luck in rainy weather. Light rain especially. I will never forget in the mid 90's we were hunting on big water on Eufaula. It was opening day and it was pretty balmy. On the boat ride out I remember seeing some really intense lightning in the distance and knew we would get wet. After some pretty good shooting the storms rolled in. We threw a tarp over our makeshift blind and waited it out. I peeked out many times and no sign of any ducks. Finally, the rain lightened up a little and we raised the tarp for a brief stretch and I bet their were at least 30-40 mallards in our spread. We all reached down for our guns and unloaded on them, albeit too late. We didn't drop a one!
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Rain is supposed to quit around 30-45 min. after LST so there may be some good flights around then. Headed outuin the morning as well, going to be high and dry in my layout.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting