More or less decoys on big pond?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

More or less decoys on big pond?

Postby D-Brown07 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am

I hunted a very large pond the other morning south of Oklahoma City. There were a lot of birds but didn't decoy right and were way too far to shoot. I had a dozen mallard decoys out. Should I put out a lot more decoys? How about more calling or less calling?
D-Brown07
Newb

Re: More or less decoys on big pond?

Postby cole1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:07 pm

The main thing is to make sure you are hidden well... I hunted a big pond on Sunday and put out 36 Mallards and 7 geese and 2 mojos... We used layout blinds and they would land right in on us... Calling is something that you want to be careful with... No need for more than just a few quacks once they see your spread... and when they start to decoy be quiet!!!
cole1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 pm

D-Brown07 wrote:I hunted a very large pond the other morning south of Oklahoma City. There were a lot of birds but didn't decoy right and were way too far to shoot. I had a dozen mallard decoys out. Should I put out a lot more decoys? How about more calling or less calling?

Sounds like divers. Notorious for that. Try throwing your dekes where they want to land and block it off. Almost like a cattle corral lol. Your puddle ducks should deke right in. Set up on the shallow side of the pond too.
sooner737
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm

It looks like we got some Fresh Meats on the backside of this last North Wind! BUT, me thinks we got P.H.D. types ... you know dem HIGHLY EDUCATED Ducks. We got the same deal just south of you. Big Groups and we can get them to work a few times but never quite will SEAL DA DEAL!

The past few days the wind has pretty much been nil early on ... nice sunny sky as the sun come up ... plus P.H.D. Ducks EQUALS ducks that light well off the decoy set. Numbers of dekes are IMO not so critical ... it's GET'N MOTION into those dekes ... jerk strings , bubble butts, mojos ... make'n waves with your feets ... WHATEVER! And even then your lucky to scratch s Solo Fly'n Look'n For Love Lost Soul or something SICK LOOK'N... all we can do is CULL THE WEAK and STUPID!

The only thing that will enable us to CUT UP bunches of P.H.D.'s is something that will cause them to GET STUPID! Those things are ICE, HIGH WINDS . LOW CEILING, SNOW, SLEET ... ALL PRETTY MUCH AT THE SAME TIME! And I ain't make'n a joke!

Good Luck! Hang in there we will get some New Meats that is NEW HATCH !
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting