Fishing

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Fishing

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am

Has anyone had success fishing? Went to Tenkiller earlier this week and stayed for a few days. The first day we had no success at all. Tried to find brushpiles for crappie but didn't find any, we planted a couple of them a few years ago,couldnt find them either. Tried fishing for bass but they must have been deeper than we were fishing. Then we tried trolling and caught nothing again. Fished below the dam on the lower illinois for stripers, we caught enough shad but no stripers. The person next to our campsite caught some catfish on juglines so we set out juglines that night. The next morning they ended up on the other side of the lake with nothing on them, but we ran into a ton of sand bass and caught 18. All were at least 1.5 pounds, good sized ones. :smile: The next morning we looked in the same spot and caught 14 before the wind kicked up and scattered the shad. Those were even bigger, almost all of them weighed at least 2 pounds. :biggrin: We were fishing with rooster tails on the surface, just following the same school everywhere. We didn't go the last couple mornings because the wind is blowing too hard, which makes it impossible to find them on the surface. Tomorrow there is supposed to be no wind, we are going then and will try to bring some relatives with us, hopefully they will be able to go. I haven't really had much other success this year except on some sand bass in the spring, how is it going for everyone else?
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 pm

I have ben doing good on the Arkansas River for catfish. A couple of 20-30 lb. blues on trotline and nice channels on rod and reel.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby paulmuz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:25 pm

The bass have been hitting good on Ft.Gibson. Same with the Catfish there too. :thumbsup:
paulmuz
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:30 am

Well, we only caught 2. Don't know what happened. :huh: The shad were scattered so the sand bass were too. We thought about trolling but by the time we did it was too late. The water was calm enough but there was the north wind so I think the fish were still stuck in their "front mode"; not biting because of weather change. I thought they would be out of that by now, guess not. When the weather stabilizes they will be back and so will we. :hammer:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Deano » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:08 am

Been wanting to do some jug lining. Son and I had 15 out on skiatook a few weeks ago, caught 3 worth cleaning. Was set to go sat night up on big creek/verdigris but son backed out and I was tired.
Headed to Colorado this weekend for a week, will try again when I get back.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:20 am

We are also headed to Colorado in the middle of July. Southwestern Colorado. Some relatives live there and we will be staying in a cabin on the Dolores River. It is nice to get away from the hot weather and the trout fishing is pretty good there too. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Deano » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:46 pm

We are going to finish my dads cabin that we've been building out of the timber on the property. 9500 ft elevation, it'll be nice and cool. 4 miles from wyoming state line. Maybe take one day to hike up and check out my elk hunting area for Sept and do some brook trout fishing, small but fun!

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:06 am

My uncle and his family live a little bit northwest of Dolores he just moved in and just finished building a house and barn. They've been living in an RV for the past year so they are glad to live in a house again. It is 40 acres I think. He is trying to get me to come up and elk hunt in the fall but the fall is busy for me so I don't ever have the time. Last year we fished for brook trout one day and caught 10 or 12, fished for rainbows the rest of the time and caught 15-20. And also caught a few white perch.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting