New to this site

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New to this site

Postby GreenheadShooter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:42 am

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and looking to meet some fellow hunters. I am from Yukon and noticed there are some others from here. I am currently looking for a lease within a couple hour drive from OKC or in the Lake Tenkiller area for waterfowl.
GreenheadShooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:11 am

Welcome to duck hunting chat. :welcome: I don't know of any leases in the Tenkiller area, but are you sure there are ducks/habitat at Tenkiller? That is more of a deep, clear, and rocky lake i don't think there would be ducks there. Its good for fishing, but not for ducks unless you mean the river below the dam. But a little bit to the south or west there are many places to hunt. Fort Gibson, Webbers Falls, Chouteau, the Lower Illinois River, Kerr Lake, and Sequoyah NWR are good areas about 2 hrs from you. I think Texoma is about the same or closer than the areas above and it is usually just as good as them. If you have a boat that would be an advantage you are able to get access to much more places than without one. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby GreenheadShooter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:17 am

I have a place to stay at Tenkiller is the reason I was looking for something in that area. Not specifically looking to hunt on the lake itself. I have hunted several of the popular public areas and am tired of the crowds. Want to try and lease an area.
GreenheadShooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 am

The leases are few and hard to come by in this area (Webber Falls), all the farmers that have good areas have been leased by the same people for years. But, you can always try and knock on some doors!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:25 pm

For getting away from the crowds I would recommend anything in the area except Sequoyah NWR. It seems like everyone in Oklahoma and Arkansas hunts there at the same time. Sometimes it can be almost impossible to find a place to hunt there. On the weekdays there aren't as many people, but there is always at least 10 or 15 trailers at the Vian boat ramp, and there can be up to 40 on the weekends. But anywhere else should be fine. I am sure Webbers Falls and Fort Gibson don't attract as many people, and they are still good hunting areas if you know what you're doing.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:46 pm

If you are going to hunt Webber your best bet is to draw a blind, that way noone can set up by you. It is usually crowded there on opening weekend and the opener past the split, besides that, it isn't bad!!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby GreenheadShooter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait until time to start hunting.
GreenheadShooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting