scouting advice

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

scouting advice

Postby Big Griz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 pm

I am getting back into duck hunting after about a 10 year layoff (work and family related not duck dynasty :wink: ).
I was wondering how you guys narrow your scouting down some. We are going to Gibson tomorrow and are going to do some scouting after our hunt but will only have a couple of hours. Is there a good way to be more productive than just driving around every back road we see? If that's what it takes I'll do it because I realize it takes some effort but I just want to be as productive as possible. Is there a time of day that is better than other times?
Big Griz
hunter

Re: scouting advice

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:47 am

Use google maps to find a few promising looking areas, and go from there.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Big Griz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Well we didn't do too bad. We found about 30 Canadians in one field and about 500 snow geese in another field. Now to get a county plat map and find out who owns that land and make some calls.
Big Griz
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Big Griz wrote:Well we didn't do too bad. We found about 30 Canadians in one field and about 500 snow geese in another field. Now to get a county plat map and find out who owns that land and make some calls.

Make calls? It's easter to just beat on the nearest door. In rural communities everyone is a plat map
sooner737
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Watch for flying birds and follow them
JMichigan
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:08 pm

sooner737 wrote:
Big Griz wrote:Well we didn't do too bad. We found about 30 Canadians in one field and about 500 snow geese in another field. Now to get a county plat map and find out who owns that land and make some calls.

Make calls? It's easter to just beat on the nearest door. In rural communities everyone is a plat map

THIS!!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Big Griz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:28 pm

So when is the best time to do your scouting? Maybe first light and follow them from the lake to the fields. Also wondering how late in the year is it before the birds leave and you stop scouting as much. Gotta say that scouting is actually kind of fun itself and a lot warmer this time of year. Lol

I'm having to get a plat map because the land is just leased for farming and the neighbors on either side aren't sure how to reach the guy that farms it or the actual owner. They said the guy that farms it is kind of a recluse and doesn't really talk to anyone.
Big Griz
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Big Griz wrote:So when is the best time to do your scouting? Maybe first light and follow them from the lake to the fields. Also wondering how late in the year is it before the birds leave and you stop scouting as much. Gotta say that scouting is actually kind of fun itself and a lot warmer this time of year. Lol

I'm having to get a plat map because the land is just leased for farming and the neighbors on either side aren't sure how to reach the guy that farms it or the actual owner. They said the guy that farms it is kind of a recluse and doesn't really talk to anyone.

You have the right idea. But it's NEVER time to stop scouting. I was done hunting at 11....ate....scouted a new area.....pulled out the plat map....secured Saturdays spot. Scout scout scout. It's hunting not killing
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:07 pm

sooner737 wrote:But it's NEVER time to stop scouting.

Unless you can't get access anywhere, and can't find any birds on public. :hi: :mad:

Hopefully this front will cause some shuffling and push birds onto something I can actually legally hunt. Until then I have completely given it up for the time being. My group has put close to 2000 miles on vehicles the last 2 weeks trying to find birds/get access, with no luck.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting