Everything is froze over

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Everything is froze over

Postby STACK'N'QUACK » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:26 am

Went to the lake this morning to try and hunt over some millet and everything was frozen :oops:
STACK'N'QUACK
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 pm


Re: Everything is froze over

Postby sooner737 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:30 am

There's tools for that.
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby STACK'N'QUACK » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:33 am

sooner737 wrote:There's tools for that.

Yeah but I'm only 15 and don't have money to go buy em
STACK'N'QUACK
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby sooner737 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 am

Hammer. Rope. Small Boat Anchor. Homemade napalm is pretty cheap. A t-post and your boots.
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby okbucksnducks » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 am

The ice should have been thin. You probably could have walked in it to break it.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby red_duck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 am

Worth the effort, ducks cruise around looking for open water? Good pair of neoprene waders, decoy gloves is all you need for ice up to inch thick. Depending on depth, push down with your weight to break. Suggest squares of 20feet, slide pieces under ice NOT in your hole. I bought a bait net at Academy (4x10) that two people can skim all the little pieces with, works good.
If ice thick I use a wood splitting maul (8lbs) to chop and break it.
Good luck and think positive and turn lemons into lemonade.
Good hunting!

Red Duck
red_duck
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 am

STACK'N'QUACK wrote:
sooner737 wrote:There's tools for that.

Yeah but I'm only 15 and don't have money to go buy em



Stop crying about your age. Every post I see it sounds like your looking for a handout or sympathy. All you had to do was go find a thick stick and you could have opened up a hole and would have had to birds piling right in. Everyone on here has been 15 and I am sure we all found ways to kill birds. There was plenty of money to be made over break shoveling driveways and removing limbs from peoples yards. Friday morning I broke ice on a pond with a stick and slid the big sheets under the remaining ice. I used decoy gloves to grab the smaller pieces and throw them on the bank. No tools used and we had two groups of 20+ green heads drop straight in.

I will let you in on a secret that kids your age have no clue about, there is a tool out there that is free to everyone but less and less people use it. You ain't gonna find it on you app store or from mom and dad...ready? It's called IMAGINATION, use it.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby gadwall_guy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.
gadwall_guy
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
STACK'N'QUACK wrote:
sooner737 wrote:There's tools for that.

Yeah but I'm only 15 and don't have money to go buy em



Stop crying about your age. Every post I see it sounds like your looking for a handout or sympathy. All you had to do was go find a thick stick and you could have opened up a hole and would have had to birds piling right in. Everyone on here has been 15 and I am sure we all found ways to kill birds. There was plenty of money to be made over break shoveling driveways and removing limbs from peoples yards. Friday morning I broke ice on a pond with a stick and slid the big sheets under the remaining ice. I used decoy gloves to grab the smaller pieces and throw them on the bank. No tools used and we had two groups of 20+ green heads drop straight in.

I will let you in on a secret that kids your age have no clue about, there is a tool out there that is free to everyone but less and less people use it. You ain't gonna find it on you app store or from mom and dad...ready? It's called IMAGINATION, use it.

THANK YOU. You basically covered everything I wanted to say in that post.

If your excuse for everything is that you're too young, then you should probably wait a couple years before you get into waterfowling.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby Ely » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am

Your gonna have to figure out a lot of stuff your self. I'm only 16 and I don't set at home and dream about this stuff I get out and do it until it works. Ive killed over 130 ducks just by my self this year. Some of the key things to kill ducks any where is open water and food I shot a limit this mornin on a 5x10 ft piece of open water. If you can go in the mornin go to the spot with the millet break a spot in the ice and use somethin to get it out don't over crowd with decoys I had 6 decoys this mornin


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ely
hunter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Where is this spot at, I will go out there and break the ice for you. You can come hunt when I finish breaking the ice about 8:00 am.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Oklahoma...I got one word for you.
RIVERS.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9976
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby sooner737 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:22 pm

aunt betty wrote:Oklahoma...I got one word for you.
RIVERS.

Go home aunt Betty your drunk
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Instead of looking at "everything is frozen" as a negative, look at it as a positive.

If you take the time to make a hole in the ice (simply be walking around in it), you could have the only open water for miles around! Had some REALLY great hunts on days like that. :thumbsup:
QUACK WHORE
User avatar
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 am
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby okduckdude » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm glad liquid got down to the nitty gritty with you.

I hunted this morning too. My shins are brused from breaking ice. (Thought it would be thinner) Heck my dog broke ice retrieving ducks!

Stop crying. We all were there at one point and time..... Guess what, we didn't have Internet forums to consult and seek sympathy.

You don't need money to break ice. All you need is to have some gumption and not to be lazy.....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:Oklahoma...I got one word for you.
RIVERS.

Not that easy. There is limited public access and where I go there is nothing to hid in so you need layout blinds. Also if you don't have a dog you will lose birds every hunt.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:14 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Oklahoma...I got one word for you.
RIVERS.

Not that easy. There is limited public access and where I go there is nothing to hid in so you need layout blinds. Also if you don't have a dog you will lose birds every hunt.


Just disregard Betty's post. He stumbles into the wrong state forum and posts completely irrelevant things. The age is getting to him, but we don't let him know that. Just smile and nod :yes:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby sooner737 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:05 pm

okduckdude wrote:I'm glad liquid got down to the nitty gritty with you.

I hunted this morning too. My shins are brused from breaking ice. (Thought it would be thinner) Heck my dog broke ice retrieving ducks!

Stop crying. We all were there at one point and time..... Guess what, we didn't have Internet forums to consult and seek sympathy.

You don't need money to break ice. All you need is to have some gumption and not to be lazy.....

Proudest moment of my year was my pup pounding ice to get a duck a guy on here shot. Then instead of goin back the way he came he pounded ice across the pond to me. Brought a tear to my eye
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby okduckdude » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:12 pm

sooner737 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:I'm glad liquid got down to the nitty gritty with you.

I hunted this morning too. My shins are brused from breaking ice. (Thought it would be thinner) Heck my dog broke ice retrieving ducks!

Stop crying. We all were there at one point and time..... Guess what, we didn't have Internet forums to consult and seek sympathy.

You don't need money to break ice. All you need is to have some gumption and not to be lazy.....

Proudest moment of my year was my pup pounding ice to get a duck a guy on here shot. Then instead of goin back the way he came he pounded ice across the pond to me. Brought a tear to my eye


Don't you just love it! The drive! The determination! The passion!!!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Hunted in ice with a member on here from AR. He brought his buddies dog and we shot a mallard that hit the ice. Dog made it to the ice and turned around completely confused on how to proceed. Makes me laugh looking back on it.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby STACK'N'QUACK » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah I can see where I was whining and sounded lazy sorry and thanks for the advice and help
Attachments
image.jpg
STACK'N'QUACK
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby BrettA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:31 pm

gadwall_guy wrote:What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.


Is that legal? Lol
BrettA
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby JMichigan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 am

sooner737 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:I'm glad liquid got down to the nitty gritty with you.

I hunted this morning too. My shins are brused from breaking ice. (Thought it would be thinner) Heck my dog broke ice retrieving ducks!

Stop crying. We all were there at one point and time..... Guess what, we didn't have Internet forums to consult and seek sympathy.

You don't need money to break ice. All you need is to have some gumption and not to be lazy.....

Proudest moment of my year was my pup pounding ice to get a duck a guy on here shot. Then instead of goin back the way he came he pounded ice across the pond to me. Brought a tear to my eye



That was great. The video is around somewhere. Dog just freight trained right through once he figured it out.
JMichigan
hunter
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby gadwall_guy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 am

BrettA wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.


Is that legal? Lol


More legal than dynamite.
gadwall_guy
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:48 pm

gadwall_guy wrote:
BrettA wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.


Is that legal? Lol


More legal than dynamite.


If the ice is too thick, just pour a few gallons of the blue antifreeze on top of the ice. Looks like open water and more environmentally friendly than gasoline or dynamite. (DDs, please realize this is sarcasm)
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron