Everything is froze over

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Everything is froze over

Postby sooner737 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:
BrettA wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.

Is that legal? Lol

More legal than dynamite.

If the ice is too thick, just pour a few gallons of the blue antifreeze on top of the ice. Looks like open water and more environmentally friendly than gasoline or dynamite. (DDs, please realize this is sarcasm)

Implied sarcasm isn't their strongest trait :fingerhead:
sooner737
hunter

Postby gadwall_guy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:
BrettA wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:What me and my group do is pour gasoline over the place we wanna hunt and set it on fire. It completely melts the ice, no chunks to remove or push out of the hole.

Is that legal? Lol

More legal than dynamite.

If the ice is too thick, just pour a few gallons of the blue antifreeze on top of the ice. Looks like open water and more environmentally friendly than gasoline or dynamite. (DDs, please realize this is sarcasm)

The problem with that is you send your dog on a retrieve and it comes back blue. It's hard to hide a blue dog in the woods.
gadwall_guy
hunter

Postby grassduck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 am

LiquidA45 wrote:Hunted in ice with a member on here from AR. He brought his buddies dog and we shot a mallard that hit the ice. Dog made it to the ice and turned around completely confused on how to proceed. Makes me laugh looking back on it.

Broke him of that last week!
grassduck
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 am

grassduck wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:Hunted in ice with a member on here from AR. He brought his buddies dog and we shot a mallard that hit the ice. Dog made it to the ice and turned around completely confused on how to proceed. Makes me laugh looking back on it.

Broke him of that last week!

Good to hear! How's the field treating y'all?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby grassduck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Was at Disney World all last week. Was good before I left. Gonna see tomorrow afternoon!
grassduck
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Take a half dozen old decoys and cut the keel off flush with the bottom. Get a roll of catfish trot line courd .... a bag of 25 trot line clips ... attach the clips to a piece of flex line about 18" long on one end and tie the other end to a clip.

Have a buddy take the " dead man end " around the corner of a piece of water and down a ways on the other side. Stop him when you got the angle " right with the wind " ... clip on a decoy and holler " PULL " watch the deke skitter along on the ice like that ice skater that got clocked by her best friend year ago ... oh well ... I digress. Put a few feet between the next decoy and clip on another one " PULL " ... repeat process until all your dekes are on the line and they are sitting well out from the shoreline lookin like a line of ducks sitting in the water!

DUCKS WILL STILL TRY AND LAND ON DECOYS THAT ARE SITTING ON TOP OF ICE! It's like BOWLING FOR DOLLARS as when they hit the ice they got to looking like a bowling ball going down a lane or at least one that I toss out there. Try to HIT THAT!

Don't believe me ... TRY IT!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Oh yeah... GROW UP ... GET A PAIR or GIVE IT UP ... turn in your face paint and skull cap and do something WITH THE WOMEN! This is the best time of your life Jack and your MOAN'N about it!

Anyways ... three days of limits for from 3 to 6 guns ... 84 Total ... and tomorrow OUT COME THE " SKITTERER DEKES " as it's gonna freeze up dat water HARDER'N A BRIDEGROOM'S WHODADDY! GET SOME while it lasts! :thumbsup:
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 pm

I'll do about anything that is legal to GET'R DONE ... but pouring gasoline on ice or anti freeze for that matter is something I would not do and don't get me wrong here I am NOT JUDGING ANYONE'S APPROACH to an age old problem. I just wouldn't do it TO MY 'SHED ... yours or someone elses either for that matter. I'm think'n of a possible harming of the FISH which I like to catch and eat all spring , summer and fall!

Buy a ten dollar BURN BARREL and fill the bottom with ballast rocks ... then load it up with say 30 lbs. of charcoal and some fire wood ... then pour 3 or 4 gallons of Diseal on top of it ... GET BACK and DROP THE MATCH! The wood will burn down to coals to go with the slow burning charcoal ... let it burn overnight and in the morning you will have a hole the size of which will depend on the wind direction ... if there is any. The more wind BLOWING OUT the bigger the hole. No wind it will be about 20' x 20'! That and there will be a ring of slush and softer ice which will break away and melt with the slightest of pressure on it.

Try it ... IT'S ALL WORK!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 pm

UrbanDuckMan wrote:I'll do about anything that is legal to GET'R DONE ... but pouring gasoline on ice or anti freeze for that matter is something I would not do and don't get me wrong here I am NOT JUDGING ANYONE'S APPROACH to an age old problem. I just wouldn't do it TO MY 'SHED ... yours or someone elses either for that matter. I'm think'n of a possible harming of the FISH which I like to catch and eat all spring , summer and fall!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they were joking. I could be wrong though.

:lol3:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:35 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
UrbanDuckMan wrote:I'll do about anything that is legal to GET'R DONE ... but pouring gasoline on ice or anti freeze for that matter is something I would not do and don't get me wrong here I am NOT JUDGING ANYONE'S APPROACH to an age old problem. I just wouldn't do it TO MY 'SHED ... yours or someone elses either for that matter. I'm think'n of a possible harming of the FISH which I like to catch and eat all spring , summer and fall!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that they were joking. I could be wrong though.

:lol3:

Especially when my post stated "....please realize this is sarcasm".

AND diesel? Oh yeah that's the environmentally friendly choice. Like the burn barrel idea......without the diesel part.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:AND diesel? Oh yeah that's the environmentally friendly choice. Like the burn barrel idea......without the diesel part.

UDM has some tricks up his sleeve, every season I learn a few new ones while reading his posts. The burn barrel is a damn good idea.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby DuckZapper160 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I whipped up something last Saturday expecting to use it on my frozen pond Sunday morning. I've been tossing this idea around for a couple of weeks so I thought I would give it a shot. I took a tiller steer trolling motor and fastened it to the back of a folding metal chair, set it in the water and set the batter in the seat. Hooked it up and turned er on and it worked great. It created a pretty good flow of water and it seemed to melt away the ice that was present after a little bit of time. I haven't tried it on anything thicker than 1/4" but I'm sure if I got out early enough and turned it on it would do the trick. Pretty sure that the pond is frozen right now as every pond I see is, so come friday night if it's still locked up I'm going to give it a try on some thicker stuff. I also have the luxury of driving right to the spot I'm hunting as this would be a pain in the arse to haul into a public spot.
STRAP IT DOWN!!
DuckZapper160
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 pm

You " HARD CORE TYPES " can go on about how you was JOKE'N ... BUT I KNOW YOU ... well not personally ... I KNOW YOU REALLY DO THEM THINGS THAT YOU SAY " ... oh hell , I WAS JUST KID'N "! Been there done that one! :rolleyes:
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting