are there any fish left?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

are there any fish left?

Postby backwater91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:47 pm

I have done a lot of fishing since I moved here and it started out pretty good, Then the floods came. I was just wondering if anybody is catching anything with the water up so high?
I fish mostly for bass - but cant seem to get on any right now. Ive caught a few cats up in the flooded grass - anybody else doin any good?
Im around tulsa.
"Arise, Kill, Eat"
backwater91
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:34 pm

It's been a month since I've fished, it's been busy lately. This time of year I am usually fishing for sand bass. I can't catch a black bass or a crappie out of a lake, just can't seem to figure it out. I don't know about the cats or largemouth but right now the sandies are going to be biting at Skiatook, Oologah, Tenkiller, Eufaula, and Ft. Gibson. I have caught them at Skiatook, Tenkiller, and Gibson, I don't know much about Eufaula, and I haven't figured them out at Oologah. The fish tend to be the biggest at Tenkiller, that's where the shad is most abundant. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby backwater91 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 pm

I havent gotten into fishing the lakes around here too much - i have never really figured out big water. But there are so many around here, im gonna start trying some of them.

How do you fish for sandbass, shoveler? Never done it before.
backwater91
hunter

Postby Deano » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Thinking of tossing out some jug lines tomorrow night either on Skiatook or Birch. Would really like to get back on the north end of Oolagah but until the water flow and levels get back to normal I'm not fighting the currents and trashy lake.
Not sure how we'll do on Birch but think we might give it a go since I've never fished it before.
For bass, I'm a pond fisherman, tooooo much water to figure out in the lake plus my lil flatbottom boat I got fo duck hunting isn't much on lake fishing.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:02 am

I would say it is 50% luck, and 50% knowing where to look. Sand bass like the open water and creek channels and islands, so basically they can be anywhere. In the early morning or late afternoon you can find them surfacing around the mouth of creeks at most lakes. At a few lakes they are around bridges all the time(like Eufaula). They usually start surfacing in those areas, but they will end up wandering all over the area chasing the shad. If the lake is new and you don't know where to look, go to a big creek channel or island and stop the boat and wait. Look for gulls or disruptions on the surface. Finding where the sand bass are if the lake is new is almost always luck, but when you find them, they will use that area for years. They will bite any shad colored lures, I use 1/4 ounce white rooster tails. That is the easiest way to catch them.

If you have to fish in the middle of the day, it is much harder. For midday fishing, Fort Gibson is the most popular, but it is also the best. The highway 51 bridge area is the place to go. Idle around and use your depth finder, look in 15-40ft of water for fish suspended 10-30ft. Use slab spoons and fish vertically.

I like sand bass fishing because the action is fast and the fish taste great. :thumbsup: And when you clean them remember to remove the red meat that's what makes it taste fishy.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:02 am

And by the way, welcome to duck hunting chat. :welcome:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 am

We are still tearing up the cats on the Arkansas, we fish on a little slough, where the high water actually helps us. We have been bringing in 8-25 lb. blues every time we go out, using cut shad. I would like to start getting some flatheads on my trotline, but I guess it is in the wrong spot.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby Deano » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Gru,
I've never had any luck catching flatheads on cut or dead bait. Only thing I've caught them on was live......perch, goldfish, shad etc.
Youngest and I caught 2 - 8# blues on jugs at Skiatook saturday night. Wish the water would go down as i'd love to get back on the north end of Oolagah soon.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:24 pm

OOPS.... when i bait the trotline I use live shad, it is a pain in the butt to keep them alive (no livewell in my lil' boat), but I fish with cut shad.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby Deano » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:29 am

I've got a live well in my lil boat but it's got spare prop, life jackets etc in it. I use the bottom 1/3 of a plastic 55 gallon drum with a aereator I bought from wally world stuck in it. Catch em with a cast net, toss em in the "live well" and turn on the aereator. Works pretty good

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:35 am

I usually just put 8-10 in a 5 gallon bucket full of water... they will stay alive for 20 min. or so... I catch them real close to my line, so it isn't a huge problem.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Our boat is 16ft and doesnt have a livewell either, we may upgrade to a 18 or 20 footer in the next few years, but for now we just use a bucket or stringer.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting