Credit where Credit is Due

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Credit where Credit is Due

Postby GreenHeadLandman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:01 pm

My hunting buddies and I have been rotating through several of our public spots in NE OK this season, and found one on Last Saturday that seemed to be "The X" for several large groups of Mallards in the early shooting hours. So being public we would show up between 3 and 4 and start breaking ice and setting decoys, and would run into several groups each day that would arrive after 5:30 which would all politely find a spot out of range in the same area. This happened again on Monday, and while flipping switches on motion decoys at 6:55, had 40 land in our hole, some on the ice and then another 25 at 7:03. To make a long story short, frozen moisture in your magazine makes for no birds.

So on Tuesday the 31st, we got out extra early due to the amount of birds we saw the morning before (and didn't shoot at), and we had a pair of younger guys stop and ask if they could join us because they had just run into the group of 7 400 yds south of us. We thought we would have a full blind so we politely said no, and they moved 150 yds to our west and set up. Needless to say, I owe all the credit too these young men for our 2 limits of mallards that morning. These guys called like they were on stage at Stuttgart or were playing a Buck Gardner how-to CD at every bird they saw circling our spread, which my instinct for the first 30 minutes was to try and compete with the calling. After not a bird decoyed in that half hour I started to think, the sun is up and I can literally see these guys faces from how they were positioned, and there was not an oz of wind, so I put the call lanyard in the bag, and watched group after group decoy into our spread, while these guys blew their loudest comeback and hail calls they could muster.

These guys picked up around 9:45 with one mallard drake (Which was flying low and they had no chance to see or call) and an hour later the two of us nailed our final pair for a two man mallard limit. So thank you guys, whoever you were, and if the hunting doesn't work out, give me a call and I will pay you $10 an hour to setup and call near us any day.
GreenHeadLandman
hunter

Re: Credit where Credit is Due

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:05 pm

You sound cool.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby JDog » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:23 pm

It was me. I'll let you pay me $10/hr to duck hunt near you. Just let me know where you find the birds and I'll be there.
JDog
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm not those guys but for 10 bucks an hour ill do the same thing and get my limit!!!!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby GreenHeadLandman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Oh, Ive got no doubt half the members on here would take me up on the offer and most of them could have called every single duck away from our spread, but most of you wouldn't be using a 15 note comeback call on birds that are circling on a clear calm day, 150 yds away from ya with the sun in your face. Just pointing out that sometimes calling can do more harm than good.

And Liquid, I was just doin a little braggin about a nice hunt I had and relaying some tips in the process, which I guess in your eyes makes me a d-bag. I would hate to publicly judge you without knowing you personally based on your posts, because you have never bragged or wrote something similar on these forums, now have you?
GreenHeadLandman
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I have this 1-1.....liquid your up
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:43 pm

I couldn't tell you if I have or not, but feel free to search through my posts and let me know. Nothing wrong about bragging about a good hunt, wish I had a hunt this season to brag about honestly, but the last part of your post made you sound like a tool in my opinion. Seeing how that hunt was on public land you should really give those guys credit for not sky busting and ruining your hunt, not trying to rub your successful hunt in their face.

I'm sure we have all been on their side of that hunt before and if they weren't doing anything other than calling poorly then I see no need for the last comment you made.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:01 pm

So was he saying he wouldn't of limited without the other guys?
sooner737
hunter

Postby Shrek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:21 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I couldn't tell you if I have or not, but feel free to search through my posts and let me know. Nothing wrong about bragging about a good hunt, wish I had a hunt this season to brag about honestly, but the last part of your post made you sound like a tool in my opinion. Seeing how that hunt was on public land you should really give those guys credit for not sky busting and ruining your hunt, not trying to rub your successful hunt in their face.

I'm sure we have all been on their side of that hunt before and if they weren't doing anything other than calling poorly then I see no need for the last comment you made.

:clapping:

2-1 other guy is at bat now.
Shrek
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 pm

At least these guys helped your hunt. The jacklegs that showed up late, set up 75 yards from me and did a full contest routine at every duck that worked my spread on New Year's Eve managed to scare away all the mallards I saw. :no: Didn't stop them from taking 60 yard shots at them.

The gadwalls didn't seem to mind though. :grooving:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby sprtsmn001 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

:umm:

I believe Liquid is definitely looking at the bigger picture. I just moved here from AR and things are really crazy over there. It seems like most of the kids over there who would have walked on to set up would have been shooting swing ducks, sky blasting and probably would have set up about 50 yards away. I know it is aggravating to hear people calling like they are on stage at Macks the day after Thanksgiving but those kids were more respectful than most of the kids who think they are entitled to something who are hunting in AR right now.
sprtsmn001
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm

CutEm214 wrote:At least these guys helped your hunt. The jacklegs that showed up late, set up 75 yards from me and did a full contest routine at every duck that worked my spread on New Year's Eve managed to scare away all the mallards I saw. :no: Didn't stop them from taking 60 yard shots at them.

My thoughts exactly. The OP got VERY lucky; must have been set up on the X. 95% of the time on cowded public spots, having yahoos like that (calling non-stop, no matter how well ; not hiding; shining faces; etc,) will ruin your hunt in a heartbeat. While I get the sarcasm the OP was putting out there................better be careful what you wish for :fingerpt:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 am

LiquidA45 wrote: Seeing how that hunt was on public land you should really give those guys credit for not sky busting and ruining your hunt, not trying to rub your successful hunt in their face.

This. 90% of the time skybusting will go right along with the other antics, your hunt would've been done if they started doing that.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby GreenHeadLandman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Definitely have been on the other side of getting to a spot late and after 2 or three times of showing up only to find the spot full and driving back home at 6 in the mornin, I broke my self of that a long time ago. But I have definitely never walked past a group or close to a group and setup anywhere closer than 300yds, and I definitely have never called at birds that are circling other groups of hunters that I knew were there.

And I also never said that these guys' calling was awful or bad, I was actually trying to pay a complement saying that he sounded like he was good enough to be on stage or on an instructional CD. The kid seriously had a 15 note hail goin on repeat while the birds were in the air and would go smooth into a rollin chuckle as soon as they turned. I WISH I could blow a call like this guy, but I am afraid if I tried I would pass out or piss on my self. All I was getting at is there is a time and a place for that, and first of all it is definitely not when it is a calm sunny day, and second not when a group has or is circling someone eases spread.
GreenHeadLandman
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Have you finished looking through my posts yet? Also, why would you want to blow a 15 note hail call?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Shrek » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:25 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:Also, why would you want to blow a 15 note hail call?

Gets their attention. You're not a true duck hunter unless your calls can be heard from 6 miles away. Don't you know anything? :yes:
Shrek
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Shrek wrote:

Gets their attention. You're not a true duck hunter unless your calls can be heard from 6 miles away. Don't you know anything? :yes:

Well duh, that's my point. I don't use anything less than 23 notes.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Shrek » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:00 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Shrek wrote:

Well duh, that's my point. I don't use anything less than 23 notes.

Can't forget that feed growl. Nothing finishes em better than saying grrrrrrrr.
Shrek
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm

You ever use the Texas duck call? I've never tried it personally but know a guy from Houston that swears by it.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Shrek » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:11 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:You ever use the Texas duck call? I've never tried it personally but know a guy from Houston that swears by it.

Brings em in better than a 40 pound bag of cracked corn. :fingerhead:
Shrek
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting