dove season

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

dove season

Postby eric orsburn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:49 pm

is every getting ready for dove season.ive been seeing a lot of doves here. odd question does any one here hunt doves and teal at the same time and what loads do you use im thinking abou trying 4s in a 20 guage.
shoot first ask questions later
eric orsburn
hunter

Postby Deano » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:44 am

Myself, I'd rather use 7 1/2 or 8's in either a 12 or a 20 ga. More pellets and they aren't that hard to kill as long as you can hit them.
Deano
hunter

Postby backwater91 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:06 am

Ive been to itching to get on some dove.

Its funny you ask that about hunting dove and teal at the same time - i was wondering if that was done around here. I figured out, by accident, that you can actually kill both on the same hunt. We were set up for teal and all these dove kept buzzing us and we finally got tired of passing on them and had a good dove hunt.

We have done this now for a few years (on purpose now) with pretty good luck in Arkansas.

anybody around Tulsa (or reasonablly close) got any decent land to kill some dove on - seeing as how I am new and dont have a clue where to go yet!!
backwater91
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:47 pm

I wish I could help ya' backwater, but I am not new here and still don't have a good dove spot!!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby eric orsburn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 pm

they planted corn in a feildwhere i hunt if there isnt a lot of pressure should make a good place to hunt.another guy said there was a guy near coweta who did dove hunts 40$ for two days.i think im going to go at least once.
eric orsburn
hunter

Postby backwater91 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks gruber - for some reason ive always had a hard time finding good feilds.
I say we all try to plan ahead and go to that hunt in coweta on the same day - that we can put some faces to the names.
I will be looking for a free spot to go and if I can find one - i will try to let some of you guys know and we can plan a hunt.
backwater91
hunter

Postby eric orsburn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:21 am

that sounds like an idea to me could be fun.
eric orsburn
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:31 am

I think there is some public land near Ft. Gibson lake, but i don't know where... I'll see if I can call the wildlife dept. and see where it is..
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:59 pm

About Ft. Gibson- I have tried many times to find a good dove spot here. The state plants mostly soybeans for deer. The doves kind of like soybeans but I haven't seen them gather there in huntable numbers. I found 1 or 2 cornfields at Gibson, there were huntable numbers of birds but there were also good numbers of hunters. We could have hunted there, but for the number of doves flying compared to the number of hunters it wouldn't have been worth it.

I saw curts guide service advertising already for dove hunts in the paper, Steve Perkins will be in there in August. I tried 2 years ago with him and got only 4 doves but the hunt was rained out. Then last year I tried and and it was great the first day and fair the second day. I think if you compare money spent on gas scouting and money used for the pay hunt the pay hunt will come out cheaper. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby eric orsburn » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 pm

what paper was that number in .
eric orsburn
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:58 pm

Tulsa World
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Gruber- look on wildlifedepartment.com and go to the bottom right corner and there are the aerial photo/map thing and you can look at the whole state and find new places to hunt. I use it all the time it is awesome. :thumbsup:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:02 am

I had a friend that used that Curt's guide service 2 years in a row for goose hunts and was extremelly impressed. I am not advertising for him, but here is their web address. curtsguideservice.com/
Gruberguy
hunter

Prices

Postby naddaf20 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Gruberguy wrote:I had a friend that used that Curt's guide service 2 years in a row for goose hunts and was extremelly impressed. I am not advertising for him, but here is their web address. curtsguideservice.com/

On their website they are asking for 50$, is that /day?
naddaf20
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 am

I am not sure... probably so if I was guessing... I think my buddy paid about 100 bucks a day for the goose hunts...
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:17 am

Unless you live in SW OK I would not recommend curts guide service for doves. Nothing against curts, but doves are all over the state, there is no need to drive so far when you can have a great hunt only a few miles away. There are many paid dove hunts, some good some bad. If I hadn't hunted on the land before, before paying I would drive over and check out the field one morning to see if there is actually a lot of doves there. You should be seeing many doves, not just fair numbers, because you can have a lot better hunt than that. There are lots of $100+ hunts, but last year I paid either $40 a day or $40 for 2 days, can't remember which. There were literally thousands of doves, big clouds of them. That was the most doves I have ever seen, and that was about 30mi from my house. So I guess the main idea is don't drive across the whole state when you can have a great hunt a short distance away. :thumbsup:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:30 pm

Shoveler.... I wouldn't pay that much either, I just put that out there for people who might live in that area anyway. I am not a big dove hunter, so I wouldn't drive 30 miles to hunt them, now, give me a good duck spot and I'd drive an hour or so. Luckily, I only have to walk 300 yds. from my door to my duck spot... :smile:
Gruberguy
hunter

Thanks

Postby naddaf20 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:11 pm

I live in Tulsa, and this is my first dove season, so I,m trying to fined a good place to shoot some. any help from u guys to fined a spot would be great, or if some one looking for a hunting friend that would be the best I can get :yes: . Any way looking for some sugg. if you got some. thanks again, u guys are great, and I really enoy reading ur feedbacks.
naddaf20
hunter

Lease

Postby naddaf20 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Dove season, 50/season. It was in Tulsa world. The place is in Morris Oklahoma
naddaf20
hunter

Postby eric orsburn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:39 pm

how many are thinking about going maybe we could all go together one day. be interesting to meet a few of the guys on here.
eric orsburn
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:19 pm

I think I am going on Steve Perkin's hunt. He should be calling me anytime. And it will be in the paper anytime. That hunt in Morris has been in the paper for the last 3 years or so, so it must be a good place. Yeah, it would be fun to get together. :smile:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Steve still hasn't called or advertised...he may not be doing the hunt this year. I guess I will have to find someone else. :sad:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Free hunt

Postby naddaf20 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Dove season opens Sept. 1, a free hunting day
Dove hunters statewide should be counting their shotgun shells and arranging travel plans now for the start of dove season Sept. 1. But one thing Oklahoma residents can leave off their gear list for Sept. 1 and 2 is a hunting license.
Sept. 1-2 marks Oklahoma’s Free Hunting Days, where Oklahoma residents do not need a license to go afield. After Free Hunting Days, hunters need to have a hunting license, legacy permit and Harvest Information Permit (all available by logging on to wildlifedepartment.com) to hunt doves, unless exempt.
naddaf20
hunter

Free hunt

Postby naddaf20 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Dove season opens Sept. 1, a free hunting day
Dove hunters statewide should be counting their shotgun shells and arranging travel plans now for the start of dove season Sept. 1. But one thing Oklahoma residents can leave off their gear list for Sept. 1 and 2 is a hunting license.
Sept. 1-2 marks Oklahoma’s Free Hunting Days, where Oklahoma residents do not need a license to go afield. After Free Hunting Days, hunters need to have a hunting license, legacy permit and Harvest Information Permit (all available by logging on to wildlifedepartment.com) to hunt doves, unless exempt.
naddaf20
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting