Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Scouted many "new" spots today over four counties trying to find some option for freeze ups (Don't have boat/access to big water and/or my normal big water spots are holding NOTHING). After 45 minutes walking one spot and deeming it dismal, 20 mallards appeared on the horizon and dropped down into God knows what/where. Took a hike that way, got kinda close, put the binocs up, and saw a sea of grey backs and green heads on this little piece of water that should have been frozen solid.

I'll be there early. The way my season has gone, I've been wondering what I've done to make the Duck Gods mad. I'm taking this as a sign from them. Just wonder what type of sign?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK


Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:11 am

I'm right there with you. Haven't hit a limit this season and I've been averaging about 3 birds per hunt. I know they are here but I just can't seem to really get on them. Hope the stars line up for you this morning.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 am

I have a good feeling about this weekend. Sundays forecast looks fun.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby gadwall_guy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.


I'm not doubting your scouting efforts, but the birds are here. I'm just south of you a ways and we've killed them good this year. It's been one of our best seasons.
gadwall_guy
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby okduckdude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 am

My season is down as well. I finally found some birds, although I can't hunt for the next few days...... Ugh
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:45 am

Sorry to hear that so many guys on the forum have had a down season.

We have had a very good year down in S.E. OK.
QUACK WHORE
User avatar
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 am
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:47 am

gadwall_guy wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.


I'm not doubting your scouting efforts, but the birds are here. I'm just south of you a ways and we've killed them good this year. It's been one of our best seasons.

I have no doubt there's birds here, I know that for a fact, but finding them (in concentrations, not scattered out rafting on public waterways) where we can actually hunt is the problem.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:58 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.


I'm not doubting your scouting efforts, but the birds are here. I'm just south of you a ways and we've killed them good this year. It's been one of our best seasons.

I have no doubt there's birds here, I know that for a fact, but finding them (in concentrations, not scattered out rafting on public waterways) where we can actually hunt is the problem.


Is yalls boat out of commission?
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.


I'm not doubting your scouting efforts, but the birds are here. I'm just south of you a ways and we've killed them good this year. It's been one of our best seasons.

I have no doubt there's birds here, I know that for a fact, but finding them (in concentrations, not scattered out rafting on public waterways) where we can actually hunt is the problem.


Is yalls boat out of commission?

It's fixed now. My smaller boat is though, having problems with the shifter. Hasn't been serviced in a long time and probably needs it.
We'll probably be boat hunting Saturday unless we can somehow miraculously get access to this field.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby gadwall_guy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
gadwall_guy wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:It's not just you, looks like it's happening to a number of people that hunt in our region. My group has killed less than 10 birds in the last month, 2000 miles on vehicles over the last few weeks scouting and hunting.
I've never put in so much effort and gotten so little in return, pretty frustrating to say the least.


I'm not doubting your scouting efforts, but the birds are here. I'm just south of you a ways and we've killed them good this year. It's been one of our best seasons.

I have no doubt there's birds here, I know that for a fact, but finding them (in concentrations, not scattered out rafting on public waterways) where we can actually hunt is the problem.


There's an article on DU's website about the birds rafting up on the Missouri River in a protected area, making it impossible to hunt them (this was from earlier in the season obv). But they definitely learn the routine quickly. That's what cold fronts and bad weather are good for.
gadwall_guy
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 am

Had to drive from BA to Welch for work this morning (from 7am to 8:20) and noticed no birds were flying like they did Monday and Thursday but instead were all still bunched up on the iced over ponds. If that's the case I may try to hunt late morning early afternoon this weekend. Just haven't been able to pattern these birds.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby JDog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

What's the verdict DW?
User avatar
JDog
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 pm

JDog wrote:What's the verdict DW?


Yes, the duck Gods smiled on me. Friday I had two groups of 50 mallards land well before LST as I was dinking with rig. First 30 minutes after LST was crazy. Probably had 500 to 800 mallards over/in decoys in average size groups of 30. Killed 5 drakes and got out as fast as I could. Hit em again today. Only half as many but the three of us did well. Not so sure "the spot" will be so secret as a few groups of hunters were within 3/4 mile and had to hear us shoot. Zero other birds killed in area based on no shots heard. Unless other guys walk a ways and look, my spot may be safe for a little while (hopefully until I shoot it out, if it isn't already after today). Nice mallard spot; never saw a non-mallard in two days. One of those spots where I may never see ducks use again? Hitting them hard while I can
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby LTMFH » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
JDog wrote:What's the verdict DW?


Yes, the duck Gods smiled on me. Friday I had two groups of 50 mallards land well before LST as I was dinking with rig. First 30 minutes after LST was crazy. Probably had 500 to 800 mallards over/in decoys in average size groups of 30. Killed 5 drakes and got out as fast as I could. Hit em again today. Only half as many but the three of us did well. Not so sure "the spot" will be so secret as a few groups of hunters were within 3/4 mile and had to hear us shoot. Zero other birds killed in area based on no shots heard. Unless other guys walk a ways and look, my spot may be safe for a little while (hopefully until I shoot it out, if it isn't already after today). Nice mallard spot; never saw a non-mallard in two days. One of those spots where I may never see ducks use again? Hitting them hard while I can


The kind of thing that makes the whole season a good one. Congrats.
LTMFH
hunter
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Same old December results for us this morning. 2 mallards that came in reasonable range, and that was our total. Not much activity. At least duck-wise. Probably won't end up going for another 2 weeks.
Was surprised at the amount of idiot activity, especially since there was a south wind gusting 20-30mph on the lake. We launched at our alternate "windy day" ramp, were the only ones that launched there, but somehow there were multiple boats that came from our normal ramp, including a 16 footer. Today there's no way I would've even launched a 2072 at our regular ramp, it was just dangerous especially in the dark. Yet somehow a boat came from that way and tried to beat us to our spot...which is also the earliest we've ever seen another boat on the water at this lake.
Then as we were picking up decoys, in broad daylight, my 6'3" friend is standing in the middle of the decoy spread winding up anchor cords, clearly visible, as a 16 footer comes blasting full throttle in the cove straight towards us. If you remember my other story from about a month ago, a similar thing happened except it was in the dark. Well this time I wasn't gonna put up with that BS...lol. Not gonna say what I did, but I sent him in a very sharp U turn and he hauled @ss in the opposite direction.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Are the Duck Gods messing with me?

Postby sooner737 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I call that a sunny side up! That's hilarious Idk what someone could possibly be thinking hauling ass at someone like that.
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok


Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests