Best bet for the morning

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Best bet for the morning

Postby domsmith4 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't know what to hunt in the am.... the river or a frozen over pond next to big water. Haven't really got much off either this season. Maybe the wind will keep some birds off lake....or maybe they r already on the river. What's your thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
domsmith4
hunter

Re: Best bet for the morning

Postby soonerdrake » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Hmmmm...which is easier? Is one better with South winds? How thick is the ice? Will it be easy to clear a nice big area? I think it might be harder to decoy them in off the river but you'll see more ducks. It will be easier to convince them to sit in open water pond, but you may not see as many. I think the warmer weather and the winds today might have dented the chances of concentrating them on the river. You probably stand a better chance of any birds riding ahead of the front on the river.

Not much help I guess. But some of my thoughts.

If the ice on the pond isn't too thick, it sets up well in a South wind, and neither spot is a clear producer over the other.. I'd knock a hole in the ice and take my chances there. Here in OKC, 80% of the ponds are open. If more are froze over around you, then your pond would be a good bet. You could hunt one tomorrow and the other on Sunday. If you can do that, I'd go pond first and then river on the colder day.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Plug in the Nintendo and play Duck Hunter. You will get your limit and then some...
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:34 pm

You may think about hunting later on the ponds. Been driving back and forth to Miami all week and the first half of the week birds were flying right at 7. Today they were all on the ponds resting the whole way there. Birds might be going to feed later and coming back late morning, just a thought. I'm hitting a pond in the morning and the river Sunday personally.
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting