this weather

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

this weather

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:07 am

Anyone hunting in it today? Supposed to hit the river later but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: this weather

Postby domsmith4 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:31 am

I woke up at 4:30 to go out...but I chickened out! I'm still in bed and it feels great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
domsmith4
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 am

Oh yeah!!! My buddy just shot the last mallard of the limit of mallards and geese. Also shot my first speck. Awesome morning.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:49 am

Headed out now. Will let you know...
okie_duck
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:50 am

Wasn't able to go this morning, but my friends are getting into them right now. Figures.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 pm

I didn't get to go either. But it didn't do anything back in my area.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby medicoli » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:17 pm

We made it out this morning. We didn't get out till late though. Saw lots of ducks on ponds, nothing on the lake.
medicoli
hunter

Postby Shrek » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Went to an undisclosed lake at an undisclosed time. Jumped a lot up when we drove down to the shore, had nothing but greenheads come in all day. Nothing like sitting on a chair in some brush and shooting em at 10 yards.
Shrek
hunter

Postby italian_stallion » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Unsuccessful morning for us. Jumped about 2dz specks walking to the blind and had about 4 high flyers. That was it. Drove around the lake and saw some big groups of mallards and redheads. To bad you can't hunt that side!

Va tutto bene! Io sono Italiano
VA TUTTO BENE! LO SONO ITALIANO
italian_stallion
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Would have gone if everywhere I could go hasn't been frozen over for days already. Went yesterday and broke ice and saw 5 uninterested geese.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Went out and whacked and stacked ImageImage
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby sooner737 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:03 pm

I love myself some merganser fingers dipped in brown mustard! I went out today for the sole purpose of shooting a group of shoveler_shooter I mean shovelers! Took 4 wigeon then waited....waited....waited.....SHOVELERS!!! Took a drake and hen down, loaded up and headed to the taxidermist! Today was a good day.
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:11 pm

sooner737 wrote:I love myself some merganser fingers dipped in brown mustard! I went out today for the sole purpose of shooting a group of shoveler_shooter I mean shovelers! Took 4 wigeon then waited....waited....waited.....SHOVELERS!!! Took a drake and hen down, loaded up and headed to the taxidermist! Today was a good day.

Was the drake fully plumed?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okie_duck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:33 pm

okie_duck wrote:Headed out now. Will let you know...

Got to feed the fire! Not a limit, but should have been. I was using my old pump and it took me awhile to get on target.

image.jpg
image.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
okie_duck
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:37 pm

sooner737 wrote:I love myself some merganser fingers dipped in brown mustard! I went out today for the sole purpose of shooting a group of shoveler_shooter I mean shovelers! Took 4 wigeon then waited....waited....waited.....SHOVELERS!!! Took a drake and hen down, loaded up and headed to the taxidermist! Today was a good day.

Don't be shooting any shoveler_shooter. I'm supposed to hunt with him in a couple weeks.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:59 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:

Don't be shooting any shoveler_shooter. I'm supposed to hunt with him in a couple weeks.

Greenheads only with a bonus drake for the rest of the season for me. I've still never shot a 5 greenhead limit before.
Gonna try it in the morning at the same spot that was hunted today...all I know is it'll be the coldest hunt I've ever been on, hopefully it will result in a success.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:14 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:

Was the drake fully plumed?

Bein my first drake I'm not sure how much brighter he could get but my buddy does the taxi work, he said it was the brightest he's done and def worthy which I trust.....to an extent lol he was DEF a beautiful bird.
sooner737
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

Greenheads only with a bonus drake for the rest of the season for me. I've still never shot a 5 greenhead limit before.
Gonna try it in the morning at the same spot that was hunted today...all I know is it'll be the coldest hunt I've ever been on, hopefully it will result in a success.

Lofty goal there. I've done it once. Waited around for something different and nothing.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 pm

I was hell-bent to go today. 3:00 AM, scraped off a little more than 1/8 inch of ice of the windshield. Roads in Tulsa were 50% wet and 50% ice. Wasn't snowing yet, still slight freezing rain. Saw my neighbor coming home from his nightshift job barely get up his driveway in is 4x4, then watched more than one vehicle not be able to move from a dead stop at a red light on FLAT ground - just sat there spinning tires. After a few brake tests at low speeds and sliding not being able to stop, I aborted the hunt. Not knowing what the weather was actually going to do, and it being that nasty the first few miles in town, I decided the 5 ducks weren't worth it.

Killed me seeing the snow covered yard when I woke up. Love hunting in the snow. God how I hate Oklahoma winter weather. Wish it would just bleeping snow; I'll drive all day in snow but put down even a little freezing rain on the roads and it's a whole different game.

Hope nobody hunted my secret spot in my absence
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Scouted this mid-morning and found a couple hundred ducks using big water. I got in the spot a little late this afternoon,4:30pm, and had several big flocks try to land. Ended up shooting three mallards, should have had a full limit but my dog broke twice on two big wads getting right....frustrating yet enjoyed able hunt....gundogs...
Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I slept in. After the fiasco at sooner saturday, the landowner jump shooting my only good goose spot friday and yesterday, and my only other consistent spot being a mile paddle from my kayak, I decided to call it. Would have loved a snowy timber hunt.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Where do you go to get your birds taxidermied?

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 am

I aborted the first hunt I can remember in a long time. Just didn't think it was worth it to sit in that weather not knowing if I would even see a bird and I was right. My buddy and his dad still went and saw good numbers but there were going to a different part of the river we can't get to.

Couldn't agree more about driving in snow vs. ice. I went to my parents house in Coweta and it took me about 30 minutes to get there from BA. Saw at least a dozen cars in the ditch...they were all women though.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby XR2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 am

DW that spot HAS to be frozen solid by now? Wind chill of -21 over here in Fayetteville, my work actually shut down due to "inclement weather" - after the last 2 mild winters this is pretty rough!
XR2
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 am

Hopefully I will be breaking ice this afternoon. Last time I went to this area I broke ice with decoys on my back and it took me 30 minutes to walk a walk that usually takes 10..... Today I will bring the sled and use it to bust up the ice :P

okduckdude
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting