I found the motherload

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

I found the motherload

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 am

Now to get a hold of the landowner....

Kind of hard to see but there are a few thousand spread across the entire picture
here's a link to the full resolution
http://i.imgur.com/0m6gf5I.jpg
petrotk40
hunter

Re: I found the motherload

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Sweet pic, good luck!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 pm

I got big fat "no way!" the lady then proceeded to talk to me for 5 minutes about how crazy the number of ducks were on Saturday and exactly where they were on her property... salt in the wound...
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:31 pm

petrotk40 wrote:I got big fat "no way!" the lady then proceeded to talk to me for 5 minutes about how crazy the number of ducks were on Saturday and exactly where they were on her property... salt in the wound...

Welcome to my world.... :lol3:
Luckily for us the running ton we found this morning was public. No one has a clue they're even out there. It's like the Duck Gods have rewarded us....all at once, for all the effort and zero success over the previous month.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Broke 1 inch ice this afternoon for half a mile with my legs.... Did not pay off. I'm thinking geese for the next few days... I head east during the weekend.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Added 2 more Limits this morning ... 16 Limits over the past 4 days and we still got ducks hang'n around. After we shot up this spot by noon the lake was covered with ducks just stand'n about a'wait'n on the ice to break up. It will be intact till tomorrow afternoon before it even thinks about make'n it's own holes. If everything goes right we're gonna drop a 17 ft. War Eagle into the ten acre 'Shed and MADE OUR OWN HUGE ASSED HOLE! If it don't work out ... we'll just use some SKITTER DEKES and hope for the best!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:40 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
petrotk40 wrote:I got big fat "no way!" the lady then proceeded to talk to me for 5 minutes about how crazy the number of ducks were on Saturday and exactly where they were on her property... salt in the wound...

Luckily for us the running ton we found this morning was public. No one has a clue they're even out there. It's like the Duck Gods have rewarded us....all at once, for all the effort and zero success over the previous month.

I better not find you on MY secret hole
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

:lol3:
Not trying to one up you or rub it in, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's a 99% chance there's many, many times more birds in this spot than yours. This is the most ducks in one place that I have ever seen my entire life. It will probably be a good long while, possibly never again, that I will witness or be a part of something like this. The persistent cold weather this winter has brought down a TON of birds to this particular location. Eventually people are gonna find out and/or the birds will relocate, but I can't even put it reasonably into words. It's like the holy grail of being a duck hunter, I feel very fortunate that I've stumbled onto something like this.
Now I suppose everyone's gonna PM me or try to find out where I'm hunting. :biggrin:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:35 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Not trying to one up you or rub it in, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's a 99% chance there's many, many times more birds in this spot than yours. This is the most ducks in one place that I have ever seen my entire life. It will probably be a good long while, possibly never again, that I will witness or be a part of something like this. The persistent cold weather this winter has brought down a TON of birds to this particular location. Eventually people are gonna find out and/or the birds will relocate, but I can't even put it reasonably into words. It's like the holy grail of being a duck hunter, I feel very fortunate that I've stumbled onto something like this.
Now I suppose everyone's gonna PM me or try to find out where I'm hunting. :biggrin:

While your spot may have more birds number wise than mine, we are in the same boat probably about worrying WHEN somebody else will discover it. My spot is off the beaten path, even tough to discover via normal scouting methods......but when you got several groups of guys hunting withinin earshot, and you are whaling away while they never shoot........it is only a matter of time.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm

True. Mine is also off the beaten path in a way, but in the open at the same time. Don't think any "outsiders" know about it yet, but like you said it will only be a matter of time. Public land though, part of the game. Just enjoying it while the getting is good.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:16 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:True. Mine is also off the beaten path in a way, but in the open at the same time. Don't think any "outsiders" know about it yet, but like you said it will only be a matter of time. Public land though, part of the game. Just enjoying it while the getting is good.

Agreed. Hope you hold it as long as you can. Wanted to hit my spot Sunday again, but after driving 2 miles over black ice and sliding a few times in such a short distance, I aborted and went back to the house. It KILLED me to do so knowing it would be a B-E-A-utiful snowy hunt if I were there and the ducks would still be there. I HATE freezing rain; wasn't worth the risk of being in a ditch, or worse, to kill 5 ducks.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Finally got on some decent numbers of birds.... Those muddy mallards (gaddies) and the ugly mallards (shovelers).

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Aint nothin wrong with gads and spoonies, I do want to see a good pic of a full plumed spoonie though.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:54 pm

petrotk40 wrote:Now to get a hold of the landowner....

Kind of hard to see but there are a few thousand spread across the entire picture
here's a link to the full resolution
http://i.imgur.com/0m6gf5I.jpg

That looks just like my spot!!! I love the cow pastures with farm ponds!!!
cole1
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Nope. I'm just going to hid in the boat at night. I'll ride out there and hide in the bushes and hunt after you guys limit out and leave..not sure how I will get home though?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:02 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Nope. I'm just going to hid in the boat at night. I'll ride out there and hide in the bushes and hunt after you guys limit out and leave..not sure how I will get home though?

Tracking device.... Drive your own vehicle cough cough cough cough hack cough

So long as your not an LEO.....

okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm

okduckdude wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Somehow the gps signal died when they took their boat to the shop...
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Somehow the gps signal died when they took their boat to the shop...

They may be on to you..... Or the shop blocks the signal. If they are on to you then I would hide another one in their decoys.....

okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:52 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:Nope. I'm just going to hid in the boat at night. I'll ride out there and hide in the bushes and hunt after you guys limit out and leave..not sure how I will get home though?

:lol:
If you hid in the boat, you'd be sitting still for a very long time.

BTW, ended up with 20 birds between 5 of us yesterday. They changed their pattern a little which made them more difficult to decoy. Still a good hunt though. Season went from being one of the worst ever to a damn good one, in a flash. Birds appear they want to stick around, should be able to hunt them with some different tactics, they may even hang around for the remainder of the season. I won't be able to hunt until the weekend after this one though, moving to Stillwater.
Last edited by shoveler_shooter on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:Nope. I'm just going to hid in the boat at night. I'll ride out there and hide in the bushes and hunt after you guys limit out and leave..not sure how I will get home though?

I can't figure this thread out? Do you really need a boat to hunt LaFortune Park? Seems like overkill to me.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Use to fish for trout out there, they quit stocking it this year since the trout pond in jenks opened up.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:

BTW, ended up with 20 birds between 5 of us yesterday. They changed their pattern a little which made them more difficult to decoy. Still a good hunt though. Season went from being one of the worst ever to a damn good one, in a flash. Birds appear they want to stick around, should be able to hunt them with some different tactics, they may even hang around for the remainder of the season. I won't be able to hunt until the weekend after this one though, moving to Stillwater.

What time are y'all seeing birds? Seems we get a short first flight and then it cuts off.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Yesterday we saw the most early, then flights would randomly occur from 9:00-12:00ish. Tuesday we were in and out so fast that I couldn't tell you about that day, except there was a lot of movement early.
Should change though, the vast majority of the birds we have been hunting have just been grouped up and won't fly very far. They gotta eat eventually.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:23 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Yesterday we saw the most early, then flights would randomly occur from 9:00-12:00ish. Tuesday we were in and out so fast that I couldn't tell you about that day, except there was a lot of movement early.
Should change though, the vast majority of the birds we have been hunting have just been grouped up and won't fly very far. They gotta eat eventually.

I have seen similar. We have been wearing out a relatively small pond (5 acres) where the birds get up every morning fly 300 yards and set down in a cut field. They spend the rest of the day hopping between the field and pond. Going on day 6 and still adding birds, as I was checking pumps tonight I would guess we had about 4K birds.
razorback
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:18 am

razorback wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Yesterday we saw the most early, then flights would randomly occur from 9:00-12:00ish. Tuesday we were in and out so fast that I couldn't tell you about that day, except there was a lot of movement early.

I have seen similar. We have been wearing out a relatively small pond (5 acres) where the birds get up every morning fly 300 yards and set down in a cut field. They spend the rest of the day hopping between the field and pond. Going on day 6 and still adding birds, as I was checking pumps tonight I would guess we had about 4K birds.

Well based off that I think we are going to hi the pond about 9 and see what happens.
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting