Frozen clothes,frozen guns.....

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Frozen clothes,frozen guns.....

Postby okduckhntr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Buddy of mine that farms along a river, called me Saturday evening. He had found about 400 mallards using a spot on the river. Plans were made, gear loaded, and alarm clock set. Awoke Sunday morning to a ground blizzard. Had second thoughts, but since it was only a 3 mile drive, figured I wouldn't be the one to wuss out. Got to his barn,4 Wheelers were already warming up. We both kinda talked about how insane it would be to go out, then decided we wouldn't kill any birds jaw jacking in the barn. Off we went down a cow trail that led to the river. Set up my portable blind next to a pile of logs next to the river near where he had seen the ducks.

Fifteen minutes after LST our first arrival pitched in with no calling. (Partly becase we were blinded by the snow swirling around in an eddy) Well at least we wont be skunked as I waded out to retrieve our first greenhead. Shortly after that, things got crazy. MALLARDS started piling in...5 then a single, then a 100, 20 here, 40 more. Then after a few deep water retrieves, our waders, outer coats began to stiffen. Firing pins and actions slowed...curses were more plentiful than actual shots. It got comical, but we were finally able to get our limits.
Back at the barn, had to use pliers and a propane torch to thaw and unzip my coat. Did a VERY THOROUGH cleaning of my shotgun and put it back together WITHOUT any lube. I'll be looking/asking what synthetic lube works best in extreme temps. before my next artic adventure
All told...we landed/watched 1200-1500 mallards pitch in with nary a call used.
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Re: Frozen clothes,frozen guns.....

Postby The Real Old Guy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Go to your local ACE hardware store and get a can of Tri-Flow lubricant.
It won't freeze on you.
The Real Old Guy
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks, I will give it a try, appreciate the tip.
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
okduckhntr
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm

I've used CLP with no problem in below zero temps but don't know if it's synthetic or not.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm

GET A DOG!

Hoppe's ELITE ain't half bad!

Carry along an old cheap Side by Side!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:48 pm

1200-1500 and only 12 ducks is rough!
cole1
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:51 am

Urban, I got a young FBL that I have been working/hunting with this season. She already has 59 solid retrieves. Had concerns for her well being with the current and decoy lines, as well as the brutal cold that morning. Besides, an old fart like me needs to work off some of that holiday tonnage.

Cole, I guess I misspoke. We shot 5 apiece, as the only birds flying were mallards. Limit is 6 ducks, but only 5 mallards.
okduckhntr
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting