FYI To you all Okies

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

FYI To you all Okies

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 pm

After driving over 1200 miles from Florida to Oklahoma for a 3.5 day duck and geese hunt we as a group / groups killed 50 + ducks and 14 geese. I seen geese and ducks that I have never seen before besides on tv. Killed ducks that y'all take for granted (mallards) one of which will be going on my wall. I was took there as a +1 on a swap hunt with a buddy of mine after getting into duck hunting the "correct way" I have shot ducks for years but never taught and have found a hunting partner who has hunted ducks 7 or so years. Down here we do not have the numbers and species you guys have mostly just rings necks, buffle heads, woodies, reds and bluebills yes there are a few others but mostly that's it. I say all that to end with this..... You all are some lucky $&%@?¥! And I hope to see that red dirt soon!!!
YJSONLY
hunter

Re: FYI To you all Okies

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 pm

YJSONLY wrote:After driving over 1200 miles from Florida to Oklahoma for a 3.5 day duck and geese hunt we as a group / groups killed 50 + ducks and 14 geese. I seen geese and ducks that I have never seen before besides on tv. Killed ducks that y'all take for granted (mallards) one of which will be going on my wall. I was took there as a +1 on a swap hunt with a buddy of mine after getting into duck hunting the "correct way" I have shot ducks for years but never taught and have found a hunting partner who has hunted ducks 7 or so years. Down here we do not have the numbers and species you guys have mostly just rings necks, buffle heads, woodies, reds and bluebills yes there are a few others but mostly that's it. I say all that to end with this..... You all are some lucky $&%@?¥! And I hope to see that red dirt soon!!!

Your buddy live in Hastings?
sooner737
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:34 pm

sooner737 wrote:
YJSONLY wrote:After driving over 1200 miles from Florida to Oklahoma for a 3.5 day duck and geese hunt we as a group / groups killed 50 + ducks and 14 geese. I seen geese and ducks that I have never seen before besides on tv. Killed ducks that y'all take for granted (mallards) one of which will be going on my wall. I was took there as a +1 on a swap hunt with a buddy of mine after getting into duck hunting the "correct way" I have shot ducks for years but never taught and have found a hunting partner who has hunted ducks 7 or so years. Down here we do not have the numbers and species you guys have mostly just rings necks, buffle heads, woodies, reds and bluebills yes there are a few others but mostly that's it. I say all that to end with this..... You all are some lucky $&%@?¥! And I hope to see that red dirt soon!!!

Your buddy live in Hastings?

:)
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Yall were supposed to hunt with me but that guys phone is always turned off. Glad you enjoyed it. Your right alot of us do take it for granted...until you go ser how crappy it is in Tejas.
sooner737
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 pm

sooner737 wrote:Yall were supposed to hunt with me but that guys phone is always turned off. Glad you enjoyed it. Your right alot of us do take it for granted...until you go ser how crappy it is in Tejas.

Phones lets dont even bring up phones.... We left a Florida one in a 400 acre corn field on day 1. Mine did not like the cold and fried the battery! And "the guy" we stayed with never answers his phone / keeps it charged!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I certainly appreciate the waterfowl variety here. I don't know if I could live in "bluebill country", I really like the taste of a good dabbling duck. Glad you enjoyed your stay in the state and hope you get another chance to hunt here.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Had a blast hunting with you guys. Like I said next year we will get after the cranes
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby lost » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 am

I for one understand exactly what you mean. I moved her three years ago from SE TX. A mallard was a trophy duck, and I had never seen this bird they call "Canada." I have enjoyed my time and seasons here tremendously. Some of the nicest people I have ever met when discussing birds. On the coast, I was fighting snows, which seldom cooperated, I thrived on teal and gadwall with a wigeon or pintail thrown in. I also fought hundreds of other people on public land, sitting in line at 9p on a Friday night to hunt the morning, and wishing that I could afford the $3K duck lease that got me access to a pond that may only produce a few times a year. I have not taken this time here for granted. I will tell you that. Glad to know someone else is enjoying it as much as I am.
lost
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 pm

lost wrote:I for one understand exactly what you mean. I moved her three years ago from SE TX. A mallard was a trophy duck, and I had never seen this bird they call "Canada." I have enjoyed my time and seasons here tremendously. Some of the nicest people I have ever met when discussing birds. On the coast, I was fighting snows, which seldom cooperated, I thrived on teal and gadwall with a wigeon or pintail thrown in. I also fought hundreds of other people on public land, sitting in line at 9p on a Friday night to hunt the morning, and wishing that I could afford the $3K duck lease that got me access to a pond that may only produce a few times a year. I have not taken this time here for granted. I will tell you that. Glad to know someone else is enjoying it as much as I am.

Sooooooooooooooo, you are REALLY one of them damn Texans being thrashed about on the oher thread? :lol3: They still call me a damn yankee even though A) I been here for over 20 years now, and B) Maryland is actually SOUTH of the Manson-Nixon line.

Agree with your sentiments. MD had basically zero public hunting (I was fortunate as I hunted APG). A lot of the born and bred Okies will never comprehend how good they (can I say we yet?) actually have it
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby lost » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
lost wrote:I for one understand exactly what you mean. I moved her three years ago from SE TX. A mallard was a trophy duck, and I had never seen this bird they call "Canada." I have enjoyed my time and seasons here tremendously. Some of the nicest people I have ever met when discussing birds. On the coast, I was fighting snows, which seldom cooperated, I thrived on teal and gadwall with a wigeon or pintail thrown in. I also fought hundreds of other people on public land, sitting in line at 9p on a Friday night to hunt the morning, and wishing that I could afford the $3K duck lease that got me access to a pond that may only produce a few times a year. I have not taken this time here for granted. I will tell you that. Glad to know someone else is enjoying it as much as I am.

Sooooooooooooooo, you are REALLY one of them damn Texans being thrashed about on the oher thread? :lol3: They still call me a damn yankee even though A) I been here for over 20 years now, and B) Maryland is actually SOUTH of the Manson-Nixon line.

Agree with your sentiments. MD had basically zero public hunting (I was fortunate as I hunted APG). A lot of the born and bred Okies will never comprehend how good they (can I say we yet?) actually have it

You hit the nail on the head about not knowing how good they have it. Don't feel bad about the Yankee comments. Where I'm from, anyone north of I-10, even in TX, was a yankee. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
lost
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting