Shotgun Needed

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Shotgun Needed

Postby lost » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I have a student that just got into duck hunting this season. He has been using a 12 gauge that is falling apart on him and is incredibly unreliable. Anyway, the wife and I have decided to get him one. Before I start hitting the big box stores, I was wondering if anyone has a backup or some other pump gun that I can buy. I was hoping for a Benelli Nova or an older 870, as a lot of the newer ones I have run into have had several issues, but I will entertain any offers. I don't need anything fancy. He just needs something reliable. Thanks.
lost
hunter

Re: Shotgun Needed

Postby Miles Massey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:10 am

lost wrote:I have a student that just got into duck hunting this season. He has been using a 12 gauge that is falling apart on him and is incredibly unreliable. Anyway, the wife and I have decided to get him one. Before I start hitting the big box stores, I was wondering if anyone has a backup or some other pump gun that I can buy. I was hoping for a Benelli Nova or an older 870, as a lot of the newer ones I have run into have had several issues, but I will entertain any offers. I don't need anything fancy. He just needs something reliable. Thanks.
What's your budget on this?
Miles Massey
hunter

Postby lost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Miles Massey wrote:
lost wrote:I have a student that just got into duck hunting this season. He has been using a 12 gauge that is falling apart on him and is incredibly unreliable. Anyway, the wife and I have decided to get him one. Before I start hitting the big box stores, I was wondering if anyone has a backup or some other pump gun that I can buy. I was hoping for a Benelli Nova or an older 870, as a lot of the newer ones I have run into have had several issues, but I will entertain any offers. I don't need anything fancy. He just needs something reliable. Thanks.
What's your budget on this?

Would like to keep it under $300.
lost
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Is this student from out of state? If so, apparently, nobody here can help.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm

I have seen several in the pawn shops that fit the description and most will haggle with you on price.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby lost » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Is this student from out of state? If so, apparently, nobody here can help.

I understand where everyone is coming from. He is my student right outside of Stillwater. It may be easier after the season. I will be hitting up local pawn shops. All the big box places don't even carry what I'm looking for. I would like to get him an older 870 or Nova/Supernova. I can't even find the Benelli's in stock, at least at three Academys, Dicks, and BPS.

I'm really hesitant on getting him a newer 870. I know so many people who are have had problems with theirs the past five years. And before anyone says it, I know you may be throwing 10,000 rds through yours with no problems. I have a 2000 model, and it seems like the quality has just gone way down since then.

I also checked out Armslist. I think people assume that our manufacturers are using gold in the making of these firearms. :no:
Just trying to help him out. It will come together.
lost
hunter

Postby XR2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:53 am

Good luck with the search Lost. I agree with you on the newer 870s, I've had a couple and had parts fall off and extraction issues. Jumped on a mid 80s 870 Specklebelly was selling a few years ago. At any rate you should be able to find a used pump for under $300. I think I saw an 870 express on arms list recently in AR, but I'm not sure on the age of it? I kind of assumed the pawn shops would be loaded to the gills with them?
XR2
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Keep trying Armslist, you should find something. Bargain with them.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Ditto on the 870. I have a love/hate relationship with mine. 2006ish model and at the gunsmith every 2 years due to ejection issues. Now wing master 870s are built with superior parts......but the cost is prohibitive
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Flier at work has a brand new Mossberg won at DU event for $400. 500 Waterfowl max -4 camo
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting