looking for a place to hunt

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

looking for a place to hunt

Postby jakevp06 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:39 pm

my name is jake I am from Louisiana and I have a group of 6 looking for a place to lease in January of 2015 preferably a dry field. please reply if you have any information.

thanks
jakevp06
Newb

Re: looking for a place to hunt

Postby rebelmdb69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Don't lease take a day to drive around and scout and bang on doors. If you want to pay to hunt book with a guide.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm

rebelmdb69 wrote:Don't lease take a day to drive around and scout and bang on doors. If you want to pay to hunt book with a guide.

This. And in general, the farther west the better. I can't even get access to fields in the area I live (Owasso area).
Leasing a field would be a shot in the dark unless you're a guide that has a relationship with the landowner so it can be managed in accordance with hunting year in and year out.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby jakevp06 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:15 pm

thanks. Is it better on dry fields or ponds up there? Wondering what type of gear we should look into getting. Also what time of the year is best to plan a trip? Not familiar with weather conditions and migration.
jakevp06
Newb

Postby rebelmdb69 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54 pm

We have great hunting for both so pick your poison. Personally I think it will be easier to find some feed fields than ponds. Second half of the season is always better for me it seems. Weather is weird. Yesterday 65 today 40 tomorrow is 25 for the high. Like the saying goes Head west young man.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:37 am

rebelmdb69 wrote:We have great hunting for both so pick your poison. Personally I think it will be easier to find some feed fields than ponds. Second half of the season is always better for me it seems. Weather is weird. Yesterday 65 today 40 tomorrow is 25 for the high. Like the saying goes Head west young man.

So many variables go into that....one group of hunters can be shooting one hour limits, another group set up 15 minutes away could see nothing all morning. My group has had really poor January's in recent years but it has been great for others. The water situation is different each year, which influences everything the birds do once they arrive.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting