what plant is around this pond?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

what plant is around this pond?

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Image

look like duck forage?
User avatar
petrotk40
hunter
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Location: Dallas


Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

did my own digging, giant cane... invasive and not good for much of anything...
User avatar
petrotk40
hunter
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 pm

looks like some good blind material
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:37 pm

ya... I'm bummed I just found this pond. Wished I had found it for dove season.. and teal... and the first split...
User avatar
petrotk40
hunter
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Yep, some type of bamboo or cane. It does work well for blinds.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:Yep, some type of bamboo or cane. It does work well for blinds.

Looks like it might be bad for allergy prone people though...lol
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 pm

They sell this stuff at bass pro and places. It's called blind cover or cover something. It's used for duck blinds. I'm not exactly sure what plant it is but if you go find what in talking about at bass pro you will find out what it is...
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:Yep, some type of bamboo or cane. It does work well for blinds.

Looks like it might be bad for allergy prone people though...lol



Couldn't you make a general statement about the entire state of Oklahoma being bad for allergy prone people lol
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:Yep, some type of bamboo or cane. It does work well for blinds.

Looks like it might be bad for allergy prone people though...lol



Couldn't you make a general statement about the entire state of Oklahoma being bad for allergy prone people lol


X2
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:13 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:Yep, some type of bamboo or cane. It does work well for blinds.

Looks like it might be bad for allergy prone people though...lol



Couldn't you make a general statement about the entire state of Oklahoma being bad for allergy prone people lol


X2

Well, one person who hunts in our group is especially allergy prone, he would probably die or something if we put that on our blind lol.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby The Real Old Guy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 pm

I bet LTMFH knows what this stuff is.
Now, If only he will tell us, our lives will be greatly enriched. :thumbsup:
The Real Old Guy
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby ACooper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:01 pm

I'd like to get in there and cut a bunch of it for blinds.
ACooper
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 pm
Location: OKC

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:29 am

it's scientific name is : Wait for it .... wait for it ... Naturalsio Blindeeo Materiaisai !
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Looks like phragmites to me, but can't really tell from pic.

DO NOT USE whatever it is until you find out for 100% what it is. Most invasive species (like phragmites) is illegal to use as blind materials if one is cutting it and moving it elsewhere. If you want to avoid a potential hefty fine, research laws regarding invasive species AND identify whatever materials you may use for blinds. Not trying to be a party pooper, but aside from a fine, you could turn your prime duck hole into a useless spot choked out with whatever invasive plant you brought in as blind cover last season
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: what plant is around this pond?

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:30 pm

DW, you're exactly right, it is the common reed.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien./fact/phau1.htm
User avatar
petrotk40
hunter
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm
Location: Dallas


Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests