Vet looking for a lease

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Vet looking for a lease

Postby CSestp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Hey guys new to the forum. I'm a USMC vet that has gotten out and just got to a place to where I can go hunting. I would like to find a place to lease around the Tulsa area but have no clue how to start. I check the local paper, asked the people I could think to ask, and checked Craigslist. Where are so places you guys look for a hunting lease.
CSestp
Newb

Re: Vet looking for a lease

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Oklahoma is not like most states in that in order to obtain a spot on private land you have to LEASE IT! It is headed in that direction but with so many Man Made Water Holes it should never reach the levels we see in say Tejas!

It does take some time and a lot of effort till you can land one or two good spots ... but stick with it and in the end you will be successful.

So, what to do in the meantime? Answer ... instead of sending your hard earned money down a rat hole chase'n leases ... BUY A GOOD DUCK/FISHING BOAT! That way you can fish the warm months ... lakes and such ... and spot possible Duck Spots ... then go back during the season and actually hunt those spots! LOTS of places in your area .... just gotta learn about'em! With a boat in Oklahoma ... you will NEVER be WITHOUT A SPOT TO GO!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Re: Vet looking for a lease

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Yeah, but boat hunting gets more and more crowded every year...starting to approach the point to where you might as well just start walking in again. In fact our better hunts this season were done walking in.
Leasing in general also tends to be a bad idea unless it's a historically productive spot. Too much habitat on private ground for the birds to use and it changes every year.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting