Duck Hunting Forum banner

DDs didn't stop after duck season

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  sooner737 
#1 ·
So Saturday I decided to try for geese at a usually crowded WDU (during duck season). In past years, I rarely see guys try for geese here. Between huntable fields and water there is at least 500 acres to choose from. I was the only one there setup with a rig (100+ floaters). 30 minutes before LST, a vehicle pulls into the parking lot; now they gotta realize I'm the only other person there, yet the three guys walk the levees right to me (you could see my light) and stand about 150 yards away, no rig, and blow a Canada call at the few snows flying about low the first 30 minutes after LST. Flared every bird that flew.

Really? Yeah, it's public and I expect what you get on public, but really? 500+ acres to hunt and you find the ONE guy set up with a good rig and "hunt" next to him. A$$hats.

#5 ·
That's some bull **** DW, I try everything in my power not to hunt public anymore. I'm getting so sick of these fing morons that I am going to just sell all my **** and sleep in every morning next year. Well prob not but its getting pretty bad. It just blows my mind that I have been duck hunting or at least going for 25 years now since I was 5 and you couldn't get anyone to duck hunt now everyone with a&e is a fing duck hunter.

#7 ·
Ok so seriously I'm confused.....you seem to be an avid waterfowl guy. You get b1tch hunted seems like every outing by yahoos. You semi stick up for yourself here but tolerate it in the real world.
You've been in Oklahoma for....20ISH years? (Just goin off of memory) and in 20 years of this "growing population of yahoos" you have done none of the following.....
1. Buy a boat. Yaks are fun...great.....but you can greatly escape majority of the yahoos via boat....at least gives you more options. Perhaps I'm dead wrong but I would think the # of yahoos with a boat is greatly smaller than those without?

2. Purchase a lease. What better way than to escape the crowds than your very own lease!? I know I know....cost to much.....so what? Save $50 here and there and you'll have money for a good lease in no time.

3. GET FREE LEASES! You've been here 20 years! There's no excuse to not know everyone in your area....it's oklahoma I've been here 26 years.....you can fool me on this one. I absolutely refuse to believe you've exhausted this option much less even tried it. I acquired a new spot literally 4 hours ago just by watching and knocking on some doors. This is oklahoma....people are nice! Buy one of those wonder maps and you're halfway there!
Do you even scout? Invest the time you scout public land and put it into Google freakin maps. Omg this is such a wonderful tool. Couple that with a wonder map....THAT'S ALL YOU NEED.
I'm tired of you criticizing okies for not knowing how awesome our public land hunting opportunities are then cutting em down bc of yahoos the next day. Make up your mind......buy a boat.....lease land.......form relationships with land owners......do something that will produce results bc posting it up on DHC will grant you.......nothing.
I know I know.....I'm young and disrespectful and part of the generation that's ruining the fabric of American society....

#8 ·
Sooner, I'll get back and answer when I have more time. And good answers, nothing snotty. You have very valid points. I want to respond in full when I can

#14 ·
Duck hunting is fun but when it loses its respect/ values with other Hunters, you loses your joy/ excitement out of the hunt.
How do u overcome it? How can you get others to have values and respect? Is that there was of hunting? Will they change or will it just grow?

#15 ·
cONG said:
Duck hunting is fun but when it loses its respect/ values with other Hunters, you loses your joy/ excitement out of the hunt.
How do u overcome it? How can you get others to have values and respect? Is that there was of hunting? Will they change or will it just grow?
Agree with you 100% but to insinuate people have no idea what's goin on out there is a stretch. I'm simply offering outs for such incidents. (Although I'm sure dw has searched out) I'm sorry public land has a bunch of jack holes but I can't fathom not having any possible way out of it. It's nothin uncommon for me to follow geese to a field, knock on doors or look at my wonder map and call the owner. I have been rejected 1 time out of SEVERAL this year and that was bc a guide had it leased. Get out if your comfort 15-20 mule zone and scout! There are ways out.....there has to be. Give me your "area" and I'd be willing to bet I could be hunting in under a day.

#16 ·
Or stay away from the wdu's, I know plenty of places that have phenominal sloughs on WMA's is DW's area. Found my best GWT/pintail spot on a wma just a 20 minute drive from a very popular wdu, never seen another duck hunter on it.

I have been rejected 1 time out of SEVERAL this year and that was bc a guide had it leased.
You must be really smooth talker, I'm 0/4 on permission. Just asked a guy this evening, said he'll "think about it". :sad:

#17 ·
micneador said:
Or stay away from the wdu's, I know plenty of places that have phenominal sloughs on WMA's is DW's area. Found my best GWT/pintail spot on a wma just a 20 minute drive from a very popular wdu, never seen another duck hunter on it.

I have been rejected 1 time out of SEVERAL this year and that was bc a guide had it leased.
You must be really smooth talker, I'm 0/4 on permission. Just asked a guy this evening, said he'll "think about it". :sad:
It's very hit and miss depending on your location. My group was about 0/18 for December, but over the last month a couple guys have been getting access. No one in my circle of friends has hunted public in over a month.

#18 ·
micneador said:

I'm a very smooth talker but hell I've done it my whole life. I know what they want to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.