Shooting large geese

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Shooting large geese

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 pm

fishfurlife wrote:I am not judging you by any means. None at all. I don't care how you hunt. Honestly, I don't. Do it how you want. It really makes no difference to me.

I answered your question in my original response. I always lead for ahead or neck shot. Easiest place on their entire body to get penetration through any feathers.

I won't and don't claim to be better than anyone around here but I do know for a fact that I have more years of hard experience under my belt than a good number on this forum. I have shared the knowledge I have from my own mistakes over the years. It's only that, my experience, my mistakes, my triumphs, only mine. So take it with a grain of salt. My aim here has always been to be far more helpful than anything else. If anyone chooses to take my advice or thoughts as offensive, then so be it. I have no intentions to get sideways with anyone here.

I took a long break from this place. For reasons along the same lines as you starting to get bent out of shape for nothing.

That part was directed at Bill Parks for being an @ss and not having any common sense.
My post after that was replying to you.

I was perfectly alright until the part was brought up about shooting ducks past 40 is skybusting. That's absolutely ridiculous. It's only skybusting if you're missing. 40yds is well within the effectiveness of #3s and maybe even #4s.

And actually in reality I am perfectly calm. I am just done with trying not to step on anyone's toes on this website and that's been my attitude for a number of months now. Seems to be working pretty well for me thus far.

This isn't directed at you, more like everyone....but notice when Yuchi talked about making 60yd shots with #1s out of a 10? Am I skeptical? Yeah of course I am. But did I try to belittle him, tell him that he's lying, or call him a skybuster? No, because I've only met him once and only saw him shoot a pattern board. Maybe if I hunt with him he can erase my skepticism or perhaps he is exaggerating. But until then I have no call to say anything like that and it would be wrong for me to do that.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

fishfurlife wrote:I am not judging you by any means. None at all. I don't care how you hunt. Honestly, I don't. Do it how you want. It really makes no difference to me.

I answered your question in my original response. I always lead for ahead or neck shot. Easiest place on their entire body to get penetration through any feathers.

I won't and don't claim to be better than anyone around here but I do know for a fact that I have more years of hard experience under my belt than a good number on this forum. I have shared the knowledge I have from my own mistakes over the years. It's only that, my experience, my mistakes, my triumphs, only mine. So take it with a grain of salt. My aim here has always been to be far more helpful than anything else. If anyone chooses to take my advice or thoughts as offensive, then so be it. I have no intentions to get sideways with anyone here.

I took a long break from this place. For reasons along the same lines as you starting to get bent out of shape for nothing.

It is great to have you back by the way. Are you going to post up some of your awesome pictures like you did last year, or two years ago?
OKhunter
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 am

I can do that pretty easy. Some may have seen these on a different site as well. From a few days ago. I was out just looking for open water. ImageImageImage
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 am

If you play the Instagram game then follow me there. (Boy that was a shameless plug) I just started up an account there recently and plan to keep a good flow of wildlife photography going there.

Captured__photography
(double underscore)

And if you are into waterfowl photography then follow Todd Manning. He is an Okie too. His work blows my work out of the water.
ToddManningPhotography
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 am

fishfurlife wrote:If you play the Instagram game then follow me there. (Boy that was a shameless plug) I just started up an account there recently and plan to keep a good flow of wildlife photography going there.

Captured__photography
(double underscore)

And if you are into waterfowl photography then follow Todd Manning. He is an Okie too. His work blows my work out of the water.
ToddManningPhotography

Just signed up. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 am

Over the last 4 yrs I've done quite a bit of goose hunting of all types. I've ran everything from 4's to T shot out of 3 different guns. My go to round in all of them for consistent kills out to 50 yards is a 3.5" #1 or #2 with a mod or a touch tighter choke. I like about a 80% or a little over pattern at 40 yds. Aim just behind the head and you get a good pattern over head, neck and wings. Not sure the 3.5's gave me any denser patterns but they sure gave me 4-6" bigger around pattern which helps a little if your not just dead on. With lessers or snows I think a 3" shell in the same would be perfect. But 99% of my hunting these days is greaters. I really got caught up in the big shot craze when I started out and bought chokes and patterned my guns to no end until I was getting 90% + patterns at 40 yds with BBB's. they knocked down just as many birds as the smaller shot but most were not stone dead. There was too many cripples! Don't confuse me they hammered the crap outta them but 40% or so would need another shot. Which was not acceptable in my book. If ducks or lessers came in it was just too big of a shot. In my humble experience it takes alot of energy to get any pellet to do any good with a body shot on a big goose past 40-50 yd mark. Also the most important key is having a solid hide! You can have 30 doz of the most expensive decoys out but with out a good hide your pissing in the wind! Hope this help some.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 am

Taylmatr wrote:Over the last 4 yrs I've done quite a bit of goose hunting of all types. I've ran everything from 4's to T shot out of 3 different guns. My go to round in all of them for consistent kills out to 50 yards is a 3.5" #1 or #2 with a mod or a touch tighter choke. I like about a 80% or a little over pattern at 40 yds. Aim just behind the head and you get a good pattern over head, neck and wings. Not sure the 3.5's gave me any denser patterns but they sure gave me 4-6" bigger around pattern which helps a little if your not just dead on. With lessers or snows I think a 3" shell in the same would be perfect. But 99% of my hunting these days is greaters. I really got caught up in the big shot craze when I started out and bought chokes and patterned my guns to no end until I was getting 90% + patterns at 40 yds with BBB's. they knocked down just as many birds as the smaller shot but most were not stone dead. There was too many cripples! Don't confuse me they hammered the crap outta them but 40% or so would need another shot. Which was not acceptable in my book. If ducks or lessers came in it was just too big of a shot. In my humble experience it takes alot of energy to get any pellet to do any good with a body shot on a big goose past 40-50 yd mark. Also the most important key is having a solid hide! You can have 30 doz of the most expensive decoys out but with out a good hide your pissing in the wind! Hope this help some.

Skybuster
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:41 am

But seriously, thanks for posting something useful. I have been wanting for a while to get ahold of some #1s to pattern through my 10 and this thread has made me want to even more.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

I've had the best luck with the federal blue box stuff. Very reasonable prices per case and it patterns well in most guns. Remington sportsmans also patterned better than them but I can't find it by the case. Alot of the expensive high velocity stuff was hard for me to get even patterns out of. The percentages were there but the density sucked. Some had holes in the pattern a mallard could fly through.

Here is a BBB and 2 pattern of the same density should give you a good idea of densities.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Awesome pics ffl

Now.....just because I can't shoot an aspirin outa the air with a bow doesn't mean nobody can. (I'm sure you are all well aware of whom I speak of) It's a little much to call someone sky buster or liar that says the constantly shoot geese 40 yards. I don't love taking that shot but mi def not afraid to in given situations. Also would venture to say SS has enough Internet credibility for us to pretty much know he does not sky bust. Come on guys.....this isn't THAT much of a stretch. The gun is certainly capable of it. And Bill....seriously...... You haven't the slightest clue (unless y'all neighbors) if he or I or anyone has or hasn't patterned their shotguns.
sooner737
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Taylmatr wrote:I've had the best luck with the federal blue box stuff. Very reasonable prices per case and it patterns well in most guns. Remington sportsmans also patterned better than them but I can't find it by the case. Alot of the expensive high velocity stuff was hard for me to get even patterns out of. The percentages were there but the density sucked. Some had holes in the pattern a mallard could fly through.

Here is a BBB and 2 pattern of the same density should give you a good idea of densities.

This makes me feel a lot better about my 20 ga. patterns
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Every 20 I've ever owned shot tighter patterns than 12's with factory chokes. These are not incredibly good patterns but the only 2 I had in 2 and BBB that were the same percentages density wise.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I always thought my patterns sucked, but mine are about as good as yours. Granted they are shot at 35.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:But seriously, thanks for posting something useful. I have been wanting for a while to get ahold of some #1s to pattern through my 10 and this thread has made me want to even more.

I had that box of 1s loaded up for the 10 for you
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:02 pm

You would be surprised how fast some patterns can drop off in a short yardage. Found that out after years patterning for turkeys. On a side not the high density shot really shines on them. There worth thier weight in gold for gobbler getting as far as I'm concerned. I've seen a ton of toms dropped in the 50-60 yd range with the high density 6's. would that classify me as a ground buster not a sky buster lol?
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:But seriously, thanks for posting something useful. I have been wanting for a while to get ahold of some #1s to pattern through my 10 and this thread has made me want to even more.

At the moment I had zero extra cash and nothing to trade...still in the same situation lol. I will have to get with you sometime before next season though
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby lost » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:32 am

I have nothing to offer about the experience from the original post, but I will tell you that I'm in the same boat. I have shot geese for the past five years or so, but, with the exception of hunting primarily geese for one season, I got totally consumed this season with field hunting for geese. I didn't have the proper rig, but I gave it the best of my ability and tried to work them in close. When I had honkers at 15 yds, I was losing my mind. When I had a thousand cacklers and specks over my head, I was shaking the entire blind. I got completely ate up with goose hunting this season. I am building up the spread with silhouettes and full bodies as we speak. I absolutely have gone crazy with this. It is like I have a renewed passion for waterfowling again. I can promise you this: next season, I will hunt ducks if, and only if, I cannot get on geese. I've got one weekend left, and then conservation season, but I am already planning for next season.
lost
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 am

It's very addictive! I don't think I went on a strictly duck hunt this yr, shot alot goose hunting though.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

At the moment I had zero extra cash and nothing to trade...still in the same situation lol. I will have to get with you sometime before next season though

Just get with me on numbers and such with plenty of heads up
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 am

lost wrote:I have nothing to offer about the experience from the original post, but I will tell you that I'm in the same boat. I have shot geese for the past five years or so, but, with the exception of hunting primarily geese for one season, I got totally consumed this season with field hunting for geese. I didn't have the proper rig, but I gave it the best of my ability and tried to work them in close. When I had honkers at 15 yds, I was losing my mind. When I had a thousand cacklers and specks over my head, I was shaking the entire blind. I got completely ate up with goose hunting this season. I am building up the spread with silhouettes and full bodies as we speak. I absolutely have gone crazy with this. It is like I have a renewed passion for waterfowling again. I can promise you this: next season, I will hunt ducks if, and only if, I cannot get on geese. I've got one weekend left, and then conservation season, but I am already planning for next season.

I will also be building up a field setup before next season, my thoughts are the same as yours. Very addicting for a number of reasons and I like it more than hunting water. No more getting up at 3AM to beat everyone to a good spot. Of course now since I'm doing it everyone else will be following me and I'll have to go back to water hunting.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby lost » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
lost wrote:I have nothing to offer about the experience from the original post, but I will tell you that I'm in the same boat. I have shot geese for the past five years or so, but, with the exception of hunting primarily geese for one season, I got totally consumed this season with field hunting for geese. I didn't have the proper rig, but I gave it the best of my ability and tried to work them in close. When I had honkers at 15 yds, I was losing my mind. When I had a thousand cacklers and specks over my head, I was shaking the entire blind. I got completely ate up with goose hunting this season. I am building up the spread with silhouettes and full bodies as we speak. I absolutely have gone crazy with this. It is like I have a renewed passion for waterfowling again. I can promise you this: next season, I will hunt ducks if, and only if, I cannot get on geese. I've got one weekend left, and then conservation season, but I am already planning for next season.

I will also be building up a field setup before next season, my thoughts are the same as yours. Very addicting for a number of reasons and I like it more than hunting water. No more getting up at 3AM to beat everyone to a good spot. Of course now since I'm doing it everyone else will be following me and I'll have to go back to water hunting.

That's the truth right there. I'm trying to decide what to get. Now is the time to look since the season will wrap up shortly. I'm trying to decide between silhouettes or full bodies or a combination of both. I hunt lessers and honkers, so I guess I will have to both. Dang. :yes: Now I just get to see how much debt I can get in building the spread. :tongue:
lost
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 pm

lost wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

That's the truth right there. I'm trying to decide what to get. Now is the time to look since the season will wrap up shortly. I'm trying to decide between silhouettes or full bodies or a combination of both. I hunt lessers and honkers, so I guess I will have to both. Dang. :yes: Now I just get to see how much debt I can get in building the spread. :tongue:

If you have the $$$ and a big enough trailer you could do full bodies only, otherwise a combo is what you pretty much have to do. Don't rule out shells, those work good on ice and transport easily.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

If your gonna go silos look at big als. There a good decoy for the money. Buy 5 doz and you get free shipping and the customer service can't be beat. I flocked the heads and tails on mine. It made them look noticeably better and the black really stands out. I ran 9 doz this yr and did well with them. If your gonna get full body's go to goosehunting chat and search. A bunch seem to be crap for the money these days.
Taylmatr
hunter

Shooting large geese

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 pm

You will be able to shoot honkers just fine over lessers. I recommend a combination of FB's and skinny decoys. Real geese are more $ but are not rivaled at all on the Silo market.

I can carry 3 dozen FB's(all honkers) 11 dozen skinnies, three blinds and hunting gear in my GMC sierra. 6' bed. Not much room for anything else though. I will be unloading all my FB's this off season to buy new though. 1 dzn honkers and 2dzn lessers.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:47 am

Fish what kind are you gonna get/what do you have FB wise.
Taylmatr
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting