Common Courtesy

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Common Courtesy

Postby GCox25 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:38 am

I find it almost appalling the way we treat our fellow forum members on this site, not to mention a visitor from out of state that might happen by here. What is it, exactly, that makes certain people feel like they can look down on, belittle and otherwise, berate other waterfowlers for the way they do something or for asking (what they deem) a silly question?

I originally joined this forum several years back because I was just getting in to waterfowling and I was looking for any and all information I could find, especially here in my home state. I’m 48 years old now, have hunted for the last 8 years and am far from an expert at anything. I didn’t grow up hunting at an early age with my family, like a lot of you, so I was left to rattle questions continuously to my mentor and to any other folks that I thought could answer my questions. Being a 40 year old newbie, I asked plenty of dumb questions, but still received a lot of good advice from folks on this very board.

I haven’t commented or really played any part on this board for a while now, due to the direction that it’s heading. I choose to not answer an internet scouter’s question, rather than try and take his head off with a witty, sarcastic retort. A lot of the folks that are asking what seem like simplistic or silly questions are right where I was 8 years ago. Somebody has gotten them started on this waterfowl journey and they are looking for every bit of information they can find on a wide variety of subjects. I remember how most of them feel, I was there just 8 short years ago. Do none of you remember how exciting it was when you first started hunting?

Whatever happened to treating people the way that you want to be treated? I fully realize that we’re living in 2014 now and there has been change that some of us may never get over, but really, we’re (most of us) from Oklahoma, we don’t treat people like that. We were raised better than that. Did none of you have a Father that would back hand the crap out of you if you spoke to somebody like most speak to members of this forum?

Respect has long since gone out of style, I guess. It’s really a shame, because this used to be a great forum.
GCox25
hunter

Re: Common Courtesy

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 am

Thanks for saying this GCox. I have stopped coming here as often too for pretty much the same reason. I just don't understand why all the hostility towards our fellow hunters.

I have been hunting for well over 35 years and don't see the need to show up others because they ask questions or need help. We all started somewhere and my roots were with my father. A lot of people do not have that luxury and I used to welcome their questions to the masses. Now I feel sorry for the newbies that ask for help.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 am

I've been at it since 1999-2000 but I am new to hunting specifically geese. I assumed large shot sizes would provide adequate penetration on even a big goose at 40yds but have discovered through experience that it doesn't. How the hell was I supposed to know beforehand? I've been killing mallards and other species of duck at 40-50yds all along so I naturally assumed that it could be done with a big goose too.
At least I am trying to correct it and learn/gain information on how to do it right instead of continuing to body shoot big geese at long range.

And I don't know about your last couple paragraphs GCox...since I've been a member in 2006 from what I can remember there has always been heated threads and it will continue to be that way. Just the nature of the internet and the fact that people aren't held accountable for anything unless maybe they threaten to kill someone. Even then, most of the time they aren't.
If any of what you said was directed at me, yeah I have said things I normally would not say in real life. I say "normally" because the reason why I said it was because someone already said something in which there's no way in hell they would say to me in real life face to face. I always treat others the way I'd want to be treated....that is until what I said in the last sentence occurs. Maybe none of what you said was directed at me, but that's my philosophy on it.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am

There will always be Pecker measuring on internet forums because no one has to look at the Pecker.
Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 am

I just ignore it all and reply if I have useful info lol. I think 90% of the smartasses would give you a genuinely nice and honest answer in person but like most of the Internet someone's always gotta say something even if its just babble.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:51 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:I've been at it since 1999-2000 but I am new to hunting specifically geese. I assumed large shot sizes would provide adequate penetration on even a big goose at 40yds but have discovered through experience that it doesn't. How the hell was I supposed to know beforehand? I've been killing mallards and other species of duck at 40-50yds all along so I naturally assumed that it could be done with a big goose too.
At least I am trying to correct it and learn/gain information on how to do it right instead of continuing to body shoot big geese at long range.

I was not referring to this particular situation on my comments. I was more focused on other recent new guy questions that I saw the last time I logged in.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:24 pm

LTMFH wrote:There will always be Pecker measuring on internet forums because no one has to look at the Pecker.

Men in general measure their peckers.....not just on a wifis or internets.....

Taylmatr......I think you are 100% spot on with your statement.

Speck it's good to have you back if only for a while.

The only bashing that really goes on is when people Internet scout. If you're a new guy and have questions such as......which calls to buy, decoys, decoy placement, guns, waders, anything except "Where are the ducks" then ANYONE would be warmly welcomed by everyone on here. Ok I lied....SS asked about giant goose shooting tactics and was instantly labeled a sky buster. :fingerhead: heated threads are good for everyone. DW and I have had a few but I wouldn't turn him away from a hunting trip with me. (Still waiting for a response from him actually)
sooner737
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Things have been righted.

I was a little hard on the guy under the said thread. After the last time I hinted of that area to an aquantaince , I saw and immediate influx of non regulars out in that area, so I was bein a bit defensive.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 pm

micneador wrote:Things have been righted.

I was a little hard on the guy under the said thread. After the last time I hinted of that area to an aquantaince , I saw and immediate influx of non regulars out in that area, so I was bein a bit defensive.

I learned a long time ago to never talk locations or numbers. I would say that I went "west" or "east" etc. I do give somewhat more specific advice to new guys, but always in PM.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm the one they warned you about ;)

If any pecker looking starts going on, I'm out....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Well it was actually someone from high school, the sucker stole it. Its ok though, I leased out his goose spot and got a brand new flashlight :thumbsup:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm

okduckdude wrote:I'm the one they warned you about ;)

Bs I bet you're the biggest meat gazer this side of the Mississippi
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 am

sooner737 wrote:

Depends on what kind of meat your talking about....

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 pm

okduckdude wrote:
sooner737 wrote:

Touché. Venison obviously

Depends on what kind of meat your talking about....
sooner737
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Actually this is one of the " milder " one's. You shoulda been around for WATERFOWLER.COM in the " old days "!

You just have to learn to have a bit of a thick skin and KEEP COMING in order to learn the " Pecking Order "! There are still plenty of folks on this site that will answer questions and " help " as they can.

Those " newbies " that come here also have a responsibililty to lean how to ask a question. For the most part it ain't thier fault that they sound like they want someone to simply set them up from The Jump. It has been my experience that this is most time not what they are looking for in the least.

I for one enjoy helping out or answering questions ... the fact that NO TWO PEOPLE DO THINGS THE SAME WAY ... is a good thing. Just lay it out there and let'em pick what they think works or will work for them . They will like we all did years ago ... SINK or SWIM! It's a fact that most of those on here TAUGHT THEMSELVES ... some did have family or friends that began teachiing at a young age ... but that sadly is not the norm.

If you are one of those that think the way you do it IS THE ONLY WAY or that most newbie questions are stupid ... I feel sorry for you as you are missing the boat on one of the things that can bring even more enjoyment to the endeavor! No one is gonna KILL'EM ALL and NO ONE is going to control ALL the Spots ... so loose'n up and enjoy your place as a MASTERBAITER!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Good to hear from you Urban. You haven't been around these parts for awhile.

okduckdude
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting