Alright...Someone show me the light

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Alright...Someone show me the light

Postby PC76 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Well the story goes...

Got sent to N Tx (Wichita Falls) from Arkansas with the military, and the lake/river water situation here does not look promising at all. From what I can tell "the window of heaven" couldn't open up to give the water situation here much hope.

Anyways, I decided to see if someone from OK could give me advice on where to start within 2 hours of the border here, or heads up on a lease/club to join. I'll be running at it solo, well I have a dog, but she ain't much for scouting. Since it looks like I'm getting past Dallas to even be able to launch my boat. If anyone has either a group looking for an extra gun/boat/decoys/share the gas expense I would be up for that, or if there is anyone that is maybe a little familiar within the area I'm looking at I'd be more than happy to do that as well. Again I'd like to reiterate that I am not looking for a handout, your spot, just a little guidance from someone who can give it. Or someone who wants to tag along.
PC76
hunter

Re: Alright...Someone show me the light

Postby sooner737 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:59 pm

South of altus by red river is good place to start. Waurika lake area is good place to scout. If you make it up Waurika holler and I'll meet up with you and we'll go from there.
sooner737
hunter

Postby PC76 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 am

sooner737 wrote:South of altus by red river is good place to start. Waurika lake area is good place to scout. If you make it up Waurika holler and I'll meet up with you and we'll go from there.

Sounds like a plan. Looks like I'll make a trip to your neck of the woods when things settle down here for me. Getting all moved in and the family settled here in a week. Then have a bit of schooling to attend for my new position, but after that I gotta get after it. Shoot me a pm w/ your number and I'll try to set some firm times that work for ya.
PC76
hunter

Postby me3401 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm

If you are with the Military, look into Ft. Sill (I know Army vs Air Force, but ...). My coworkers who are able to hunt on Ft Sill says there is an abundance of game (and if you are lucky, you can get drawn to hunt elk). Ft Sill only allows active duty and retired military and maybe DOD Civilians to hunt and you have to take a class.

Oklahoma has several public hunting areas not too far from you. As mentioned, Waurika has some opportunities (of course the lake is down). Tom Steed (about 2 hours from WF) is another place to look. Hackberry Flats (SE of Frederick) usually has good hunting opportunities, but the drought the last 3 years has hurt it bad.

Lake Texoma is about 2 hours away from WF. It has ample hunting and fishing opportunities.

Lawton has 2 lakes that are open to the public for hunting and fishing. You have to buy permits ($20 per year or $2 per day).

Duncan has a lake or two that allows hunting and fishing. You have to have a permit for that.
me3401
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:30 pm

2 of the duncan lakes are a complete and utter joke these days. Call for water levels before goin to Tom steed for I think it's only 30% full. Texoma and Murray are great ideas. If you like geese I'd recommend altus as well.
sooner737
hunter

Postby MAJ MALFUNCTION » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 pm

PC76,

If you don't mind me asking, what's your Service/branch/MOS, etc?
QUACK WHORE
MAJ MALFUNCTION
hunter

Postby PC76 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:01 pm

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:PC76,

If you don't mind me asking, what's your Service/branch/MOS, etc?

I'm Air Force, and work aircraft maintenance, but got sent here to be an maintenance instructor.

Thanks for the info guys and please keep it coming. Not set up for geese at all. I actually have a goose call, but I got in off a trade and I'm still trying to get rid of it. If that's the opportunity though I will have to adapt. I have heard Ft Sill has the opportunities, and I will be up there to check it out when everything settles down. As soon as that happens though I need to get out there. I'm already behind the curve as far as I'm concerned.

On a side note I had about 15 mallards light in the parking lot of Home Depot by my truck this evening. Was strange, and I honestly thought it was a pigeon or a bird, until I heard the chuckle. Hopefully it's a good sign I tried to follow them, but they lost me in the neighborhood. I have a good idea of where they ended up as it's holding 5-10k but the boat ramp is 120 yards off the water.
PC76
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

What goose call ya got
sooner737
hunter

Postby PC76 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 pm

A buck gardner working man honker hammer. Picked it up and a double buck brush for a call I desperately wanted to get rid of. Thinking I could get something decent out of these two. No takers yet...
PC76
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Texoma: Buncombe Creek, Briar Creek , House Creek , Cardinal Creek areas for starters... get up into the back ends ... may take a LONG BOAT RIDE on some of them. Then there is the Islands ... the spot where the river comes into the lake ... " Butcher Pen "? ... there is a large intake to look for )... and on and on it goes! That don't even get into any of the Tejas side spots which you can get into for the purchase of a PERMIT ( you can buy them at most any of the Marina's )!

Note: We used to like renting a trailer at the Buncombe Creek Marina and hunting that area specifically ... over time ... and not that much spent actually scouting ... you can locate all kinds of cuts and coves and creeks and flats!

Being a " Federal Employee " that opens up all the areas on Ft. Sill.. you gotta take a quick " Safety Course " and check in daily at the H.Q. building in order to STAY OUT OF THE LANDING AREAS OF THE FREE FIRE ZONES ... but it's all GOOD! LOTS of water ... small pot holes to larger ponds, lakes and watersheds! I was always a guest but those few that hunt it a lot like anywheres get to know it well and have good success.

Lake Waurika: North of the bridge and a few spots south over on the east side. Depends on the water level at the time ...

City of Duncan Lake and there is another one we used to like to boat hunt but can't recall the name of it ... launch on south side and it's got a lot of cuts and it's FULL OF MOSSES ... collected a lot of Gadwall well before the season and held onto'em.... USED to be a helluva HOT MALLARD HOLD back in the days but that went to hell when they quit the peanuts!

There are a lot of " small " stock ponds ... you just gotta find'em ... used to be the farmers were still nice about let'n a guy shoot the ducks on'em ... but ... that one dies take a lot of time and effort in locating them and doing the leg work and follow up ... it CAN BE DONE!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby PC76 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the tips UDM. I will keep those places in mind. I'll be out scouting it soon enough. I dare to ask how the pressure is up in Ok? Gotta be preset bad with the drought here and all.
PC76
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting