Turkey killin

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Turkey killin

Postby micneador » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 am

Anybody killing some birds? I really just want to hear some stories and see some dead birds, since my lease of 6 years was leased out from under me.
I've been hearing that the tom/hen ratio is really high in the NE part of the state. Any body finding the same?

Tried to get on some public land birds, but this have led to birds getting poached, shot on private land, or busted by some no wit trying to get close. I've been spoiled all my life from hunting private ground, guess now I'm paying the price.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Re: Turkey killin

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:08 am

I have found that the birds are not really gobbling after they leave the roost. Unless they are jakes, then they are going crazy all day.

The only cool story I have is I completely blew the head off a turkey yesterday. It was only about a 7-8 yard shot so I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I have never seen that before. I guess 2 3/8 ounces of shot will do that for you. :biggrin:

I also started using a jake decoy this year at the suggestion of a friend and I was surprised at how effective that is compared to hens only. My brother had a big tom pecking away at the jake and then tried to mount one of my hens. He had to wait and shoot so he wouldn't hit my dec.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:52 am

Opening morning at 10:15 chased him from daylight until then with very little gobbling. Ended up killing him on top of a "mountain" deep in the timber. Gotta love eastern Oklahoma!
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby micneador » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Good lord speck, you shooting a 10?

I actually watched the mojo tv episode where they use their turkey reaping decoy. Now those were some close up shots.
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:03 pm

micneador wrote:Good lord speck, you shooting a 10?

I actually watched the mojo tv episode where they use their turkey reaping decoy. Now those were some close up shots.

Yep a ten gauge with a extra full Briley choke. The bad news is I had to carry him and he was gushing all over the back of my pants.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

They always do, my turkey vest still has blood stains from the first year I had it.

Went to jackson lake today in my kayak, their were 3 big ole toms in the field struttin around. It was all I could do not to sneak over there with my bow and smack one.
micneador
hunter

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:09 am

ImageImage

I took my dad out with past weekend on some private property and killed a jake within 15 minutes. We worked a tom for an hour and a half and finally picked up and moved a hundred yards down a game trail, sat down and killed the tom 5 minutes after that. We have just been using a hen decoy and calling very conservatively.
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Ducks what county were those taken in? The one on the right looks like an eastern
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby micneador » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Was fishing at sahoma this afternoon, heard a guy talking about unwanted turkeys in his pasture. Told him I was his man for a turkey killing. Said he'd get back to me, fingers crossed.
micneador
hunter

Postby me3401 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:47 am

I got me a young jake last night about 7:30. Good thing I was set up near where he wanted to go, because he paid no attention to me or my decoys. My 10 ga BPS put him on his back in a hurry.
me3401
hunter

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:20 am

Rebelmdb69 they were in Mayes county.
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Postby kkelly » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:42 pm

I am proud to say that after 3 years of chasing turkeys in ND, I shot my first bird today in NE OKlahoma!! I didn't live close to turkey hunting numbers when I was living in ND so I had to drive 2.5 hrs one way to go for a weekend of scouting and hunting. Not so successful... BUT this morning, after spending 3 days of tracking them and figuring out their morning routine, I shot my first turkey. Cut them off as they were making their way from the roost to their food. Shot a big ole gobbler with a decent 8" beard!
Attachments
Turkey 2014a.jpg
Turkey 2014.jpg
kkelly
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 am

Had a great time this past weekend in Kansas. First bird I shot had 3 beards totaling 24.5 inches, weighed 20 lbs. 6 oz. but only had .5 inch spurs, which I was disappointed about. Shot the second bird with my bow bird and he came in at 21 lbs, 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. Shot him with a bullhead. One more weekend to spend in NW Oklahoma, and hopefully will make it out of there with a couple more birds.

Close up of the bird

Bow bird

Both birds
OKhunter
hunter

Postby me3401 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 am

I got my second tom Saturday. He was about 20 lbs with 1 1/8 inch spurs. He only had a 7 inch beard though.
me3401
hunter

Postby joemf1985 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Gobbler I was lucky enough to bring in to 12 yards for a good archery shot. The bird was able to make it about 5 yards before his buddies began whipping him. After that his jake buddies decided to hang around until I had taken plenty of pics and ran them off.
This pic the jake is telling his former leader what he thinks of him!
This jake thinks he is tough stuff!
joemf1985
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, I got it done saturday. Went for some crappie out at Eufaula and caught nothing but a 4lb. bass. Stopped at a wdu/wma that I hunt a lot to take a nap, at high noon I woke up to a sharp gobble not 50 yards away. Donned the leafy suit, walked to an open field and did some sharp cutting w/ the lynch box call. He came sprinting in to within 20 yards. Was only a jake, but I was happy. Grilled turkey breast tonight for dinner :thumbsup:
micneador
hunter

Postby sprig_killer » Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 am

It was a slow start to the season for me, but two weeks ago I was able to pull the trigger on a Jake. Decided to give it one final shot last Friday and it ended up being the best hunt of the season and resulted in a nice gobbler.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
sprig_killer
Newb

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Wed May 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Lies, sprig_killer the best hunt was when that turkey came in after 15 minutes, and you missed him
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Postby sprig_killer » Thu May 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Ducks_be_a_Dyin wrote:Lies, sprig_killer the best hunt was when that turkey came in after 15 minutes, and you missed him

That was actually the best hunt, I just hate having to relive that one in my mind. It was an awesome hunt though
sprig_killer
Newb

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting