water levels

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

water levels

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:04 pm

what's everyone's expectations for the water levels this year? Looking at a lease that historically produces based on the amount of water we have. When it's a dry year the lease is dry, just curious how much water everyone thinks we will have in November.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: water levels

Postby OKhunter » Thu May 15, 2014 6:07 pm

As of right now my places haven't gotten any rainfall over an inch in 6 months. What makes it worse is my my grandmother sold 2 feet of water to an oil company. I'm getting worried if we don't get a lot of rain in a short amount of time. Her pond is normally about 7 acres when full, and now is about 4 acres. To fill up needs to come up about 6 feet.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu May 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Looking at the 2 week forecast, the jet stream is supposed to do the usual dip into Texas and have an up flow back into NE Oklahoma. I'm not so concerned about my ponds filling(although the pond we just built needs some rain to fill it) but more on my grass needing to grow. My cattle are doing fine at the moment, but we're going to need some rain quick to kick the grass into high gear.

This spring is relating to last year's, temp wise, so hopefully we will get some good rains late May or june.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:31 am

Cattle prices are pretty crazy right now, seeing calves bring $1k/head. I sure hope it is like last year, not as much standing water but close to it. Birds were pretty scattered in relation to what I had access to.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm

It's nice for the producer to get a break and make some good money, but it makes it super hard on the small restaurants. The feed lots won't let them marble up and get any fat, they end up sending them to the Butcher to early.
micneador
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm the real one suffering, it costs $0.57 more for a steak burrito from chipotle!
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby micneador » Fri May 16, 2014 10:51 pm

:lol3: I think you could get over that.
If this summer gets really dry, the prices will drop considerably.
micneador
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting