I-35 south of OKC

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

I-35 south of OKC

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Was on my way back from Pauls Valley this afternoon going 75-80, and like half the traffic was just blowing past me. I mean leaving me in the dust lol. I probably saw 15 cars going 90-100.
Is this normal procedure for down there? I've heard of it in bigger cities like Dallas and places in FL, but in Oklahoma...that's new to me. And I thought the typical traffic speed on I-44 was fast...
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: I-35 south of OKC

Postby micneador » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 pm

That's ridiculous, and a great way to get killed or kill someone. Got passed by several OHP that were doing 100+ on 412 Friday night. Not a single light or siren on. :no:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 am

They call Riverside Drive "Riverside Raceway" because the majority of traffic does 60+ and it's a 45....not as fast but the amount of speeding is similar. I typically drive 5mph over no matter where I am but but I get passed a lot on hwy 51 and 44 on the way to work.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:Was on my way back from Pauls Valley this afternoon going 75-80, and like half the traffic was just blowing past me. I mean leaving me in the dust lol. I probably saw 15 cars going 90-100.
Is this normal procedure for down there? I've heard of it in bigger cities like Dallas and places in FL, but in Oklahoma...that's new to me. And I thought the typical traffic speed on I-44 was fast...

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry. :hammer:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Was on my way back from Pauls Valley this afternoon going 75-80, and like half the traffic was just blowing past me. I mean leaving me in the dust lol. I probably saw 15 cars going 90-100.

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry. :hammer:

Haha. I prefer to do 70-75ish (most efficient speed for my truck), but I had a long drive, everyone else was going way faster than me, so I went about 80 on that stretch so I could get home a little faster. Was probably safer driving that speed too.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Yeah, that's the normal down here. I'll run 85 on the instate and cars pass me like I was setting still. A majority of those cars will have TX tags and they act like they have never driven before. But man some of those with KS plates aren't shy about blowing off your doors either.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:18 am

I just got to the Burbank airport in LA and was driving 75-80 and was being passed by a lot of people like I was a little old lady driving to church. Speed limit was 65.

I would sure like to do that in Oklahoma but I am sure I would get a bunch of tickets.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby ACooper » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:08 pm

I35 from OKC to DFW is a racetrack. I've always found it odd that the average speed seems to be so much higher on that stretch of road than almost any where else I drive, and I drive a lot.

I35 from OKC to Wichita is far less busy and a much more reasonable speed.

I like to haul ass by Norman also.... I don't want to get any of that OU stink on me.
ACooper
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:08 pm

ACooper wrote:I like to haul ass by Norman also.... I don't want to get any of that OU stink on me.

:lol3:
169 in Tulsa city limits has always confused me. You have highway 51 going east/west, very similar highway to 169 (at least the east part of 51), and people drive drastically different on each one.
On 51 it's pretty uncommon for someone to drive 75+. The vast majority drive 60-70.
On 169, which also has a similar amount of traffic to 51, maybe a little more at times, you have people going 45-90, and they drive a lot more erratically/unpredictable than 51, and 169 is a lot rougher highway and less room for error in general than the east part of 51.
My friend and I were discussing this while driving on 169 this evening and it is beyond us as to why people drive so differently on those 2 highways. Both of us have a planned speed we like to drive and it's usually 65-70, and we drive/attempt to drive the same way on both freeways.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:58 pm

ACooper wrote:I35 from OKC to DFW is a racetrack. I've always found it odd that the average speed seems to be so much higher on that stretch of road than almost any where else I drive, and I drive a lot.

I have driven I-35 N and S of OKC many, many times, and south of OKC is indeed a raceway. N of OKC on I-35, you will get busted for speeding (~80 mph). South of OKC, someone going 80 mph is just keeping pace with the rest of the pack.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:09 pm

jeff_osu wrote:
ACooper wrote:I35 from OKC to DFW is a racetrack. I've always found it odd that the average speed seems to be so much higher on that stretch of road than almost any where else I drive, and I drive a lot.

I have driven I-35 N and S of OKC many, many times, and south of OKC is indeed a raceway. N of OKC on I-35, you will get busted for speeding (~80 mph). South of OKC, someone going 80 mph is just keeping pace with the rest of the pack.

This may sound judgmental, but I don't understand why people feel the need to go 80. Money to burn I guess. A 4x4 or lower geared vehicle gets piss poor fuel economy going that speed. Plus it is just less safe overall. I know someone may want to argue that and say they do it in Europe, etc., but this isn't Europe and American drivers don't drive predictably at all. There needs to be required driving tests at least every 10 years for everyone...and higher standards than what we've got now.
Everyone wants to do something regarding firearms, but those account for a minuscule amount of deaths compared to vehicles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting