Controlled Draw Hunts

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby OKhunter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Anybody get drawn this year? I zeroed out again.
OKhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 pm


Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby lost » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 pm

It was my first year to apply, but I didn't get anything. I applied for the McAlester Munitions hunt and the elk. Nada on both.
lost
hunter
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:42 am
Location: OK

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Muzzleloader hunt a sequayah nwr for me. I rolled the dice hoping it was during the split.
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Muzzleloader hunt a sequayah nwr for me. I rolled the dice hoping it was during the split.


Went out there last year to scout and saw a massive 10pt with a drop tine. I'm no deer hunter but the two guys I was with seemed like it was a huge deal.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby BrettA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Seen some monsters at sequoyah during duck season the past few years
BrettA
hunter
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:46 am

Great to hear and I am going Dec 10-11. The bad news is I am one of the last hunts if not the last so plenty of others will be there before me. It was my last choice of the five I submitted. Do you guys think that will be during the split?
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby OKhunter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 am

Specklebelly wrote:Great to hear and I am going Dec 10-11. The bad news is I am one of the last hunts if not the last so plenty of others will be there before me. It was my last choice of the five I submitted. Do you guys think that will be during the split?


I think you are good to go. To me it looks like the split will be the 1st-12th.
OKhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LTMFH » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

0 for about the last 10 years.
LTMFH
hunter
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Big game hunting just doesn't do it for me unless it's elk hunting out west. Other than that I'm indifferent.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Big game hunting just doesn't do it for me unless it's elk hunting out west. Other than that I'm indifferent.


Have you even been on a big game hunt? Not trying to sound like a ****, I feel the same way but I've never even shot a deer. My buddy has shot a bear and stalked an antelope in Colorado and loves that stuff.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:13 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Big game hunting just doesn't do it for me unless it's elk hunting out west. Other than that I'm indifferent.


Have you even been on a big game hunt? Not trying to sound like a ****, I feel the same way but I've never even shot a deer. My buddy has shot a bear and stalked an antelope in Colorado and loves that stuff.

I've shot 3 deer and it just doesn't do it for me. Not much more exciting/challenging than going to the grocery store, lol. Maybe it would be different if it involved walking/stalking like they do out west, but the treestand/blind thing is about as interesting as watching paint dry.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:14 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Big game hunting just doesn't do it for me unless it's elk hunting out west. Other than that I'm indifferent.


Have you even been on a big game hunt? Not trying to sound like a ****, I feel the same way but I've never even shot a deer. My buddy has shot a bear and stalked an antelope in Colorado and loves that stuff.

I've shot 3 deer and it just doesn't do it for me. Not much more exciting/challenging than going to the grocery store, lol. Maybe it would be different if it involved walking/stalking like they do out west, but the treestand/blind thing is about as interesting as watching paint dry.


Looks like we're on the same page, just curious.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 am

I respectfully disagree on big game hunting. However the days I go and didn't see anything is disappointing. But then again you almost always see turkey, squirrels, coyotes etc even if the deer are not moving. Bow hunting isn't my cup of tea though. I used to do it but do not practice enough to be ethical.

The one thing I don't like about deer hunting is other deer hunters. It seems mid November everyone is an expert.
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I respectfully disagree on big game hunting. However the days I go and didn't see anything is disappointing. But then again you almost always see turkey, squirrels, coyotes etc even if the deer are not moving. Bow hunting isn't my cup of tea though. I used to do it but do not practice enough to be ethical.

The one thing I don't like about deer hunting is other deer hunters. It seems mid November everyone is an expert.


I guess the best aspect of waterfowl hunting is being able to bs with your friends. You can't sit in a deer stand with four buddies and hoop and holler when things are slow.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:30 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:I respectfully disagree on big game hunting. However the days I go and didn't see anything is disappointing. But then again you almost always see turkey, squirrels, coyotes etc even if the deer are not moving. Bow hunting isn't my cup of tea though. I used to do it but do not practice enough to be ethical.

The one thing I don't like about deer hunting is other deer hunters. It seems mid November everyone is an expert.


I guess the best aspect of waterfowl hunting is being able to bs with your friends. You can't sit in a deer stand with four buddies and hoop and holler when things are slow.

I don't have that problem, I am a loner that hunts solo quite a bit. :hi:
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby JDog » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:00 pm

I blanked for the 2nd year in a row.
User avatar
JDog
hunter
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby micneador » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:43 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:I've shot 3 deer and it just doesn't do it for me. Not much more exciting/challenging than going to the grocery store, lol. Maybe it would be different if it involved walking/stalking like they do out west, but the treestand/blind thing is about as interesting as watching paint dry.


My same feelings, stalking doesn't do anything for me either. I've walked within 20 yards of numerous big muleys while bird hunting, could have killed them with a dam atlatl.

Elk hunting feels like I'm chasing 1,000lb turkeys, it's more or less the exact concept.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
User avatar
micneador
hunter
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: sapulpa, ok

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:32 am

Have you guys seen the video of Jarred Alan spearing an elk? That's the only way I would want to do it lol.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 pm

micneador wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:I've shot 3 deer and it just doesn't do it for me. Not much more exciting/challenging than going to the grocery store, lol. Maybe it would be different if it involved walking/stalking like they do out west, but the treestand/blind thing is about as interesting as watching paint dry.


My same feelings, stalking doesn't do anything for me either. I've walked within 20 yards of numerous big muleys while bird hunting, could have killed them with a dam atlatl.

Elk hunting feels like I'm chasing 1,000lb turkeys, it's more or less the exact concept.

I think I would like to kill an elk with my hawken or a bow...but I wouldn't know until I tried it. I've eaten elk a few times and I'm definitely a big fan of it. But after I did it for the first time I'm not sure I'd be motivated to go through the trouble again. Just one of those things on the bucket list. I think I would enjoy walking through the mountains and seeing the sights of Colorado or NM or wherever a lot more than actually shooting the elk.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Okie-quacker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:38 pm

I drew sequoyah last year. Zero'd this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Okie-quacker
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Eastern OK

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:40 pm

BrettA wrote:Seen some monsters at sequoyah during duck season the past few years


I believe the controlled hunts (deer) on Sequoyah NWR are antlerless only.

Drew in on the anterless hunt (there) for 10/22-23rd.

Last year, drew the antelope hunt, year before was turkey on Deepfork NWR and have also drawn the antlerless hunt on Ft. Gibson, SWR (quail also), Okmulgee GMA (either sex deer hunt) and McAlester AAP bowhunt.

Yuchi luck?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:47 am

Okie Quacker and Yuchi

How does Sequoyah work? Do they assign each person to section of the refuge or are you pretty much free to hunt where you want?
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Okie Quacker and Yuchi

How does Sequoyah work? Do they assign each person to section of the refuge or are you pretty much free to hunt where you want?


This will be my first rodeo there however, I believe you have a degree of latitude in location choice(s).
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Okie-quacker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Okie Quacker and Yuchi

How does Sequoyah work? Do they assign each person to section of the refuge or are you pretty much free to hunt where you want?



They assign you a section at the pre hunt meeting. You will be in that section with several other people. You can come an go as you please after the pre hunt meeting but you have to check in an out every time. They told us last year we would see bucks pushing the 200 inch mark(ive seen several mosters during duck season every year). My first day archery hunting I had 13 bucks in bow range and zero doe:(. Definitely a fun hunt that is close to home an easy to draw. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Okie-quacker
hunter
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Eastern OK

Re: Controlled Draw Hunts

Postby Dukdukguse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:04 am

Specklebelly, I also drew in SWR for 10-11 dec. hunt. Good luck, may see you there!
Dukdukguse
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, Ok

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests