Millet

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Millet

Postby Erie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Is the state going to airdrop millet seed again this year on some of it's public lands?
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Re: Millet

Postby DuckEnder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 pm

I know Eufaula is here in the next week or two.
DuckEnder
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 pm

That's a little bit early isn't it? 60 day mature period puts it maturing at the middle of September.

I plant mine the 1st of august.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby BrettA » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:36 am

DuckEnder wrote:I know Eufaula is here in the next week or two.

Where did you get this information?
BrettA
hunter

Postby kkelly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm looking to do my first planting of Millet this year. I'll be planting browntop (I think) for dove here this week and then again for duck later on. When do you guys suggest planting for duck? I will be handing broadcasting it around a river and a few ponds and I don't have any equipment to harvest. How should I harvest the millet for best results? Any suggests would be great!!
kkelly
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm

I've got a bunch that grew feral. It was headed out beginning of last month I'm hoping it keeps planting itself lol
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 pm

Eufaula is ~1.2' feet above normal pool (585.0) and falling slowly (they're generating power ~7 hours per day) and may not get low enough to make the traditional cutoff of 07/15 which is designed to ensure full maturity prior to either historical first frost date and the daylight (shortnening) mechanism inherent in Japanese millet wherein it will start to head out ~end of September, regardless of plant development. We had some planted (Keystone) later one year (Cottonwood Creek WDU) to try and offset a midsummer flood that wiped the initial stand out and the stuff was ~10-12" high and started making toothbrush sized seed heads at that time. Was better than nothing, tho'.

Kaw is in a somewhat similar condition (didn't get planted at all last season) and it is the only COE reservoir that has a specific millet planting management program as it does not generate power.

However, should the water drop later this month, there will likely be some late summer natural habitat (toothcup, etc.) sprout as mother nature always seems to work something out.

IF...we have a wet winter and the area lakes get 2+ feet above normal pool(s), it'll be lights out!
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:32 am

Well, looks like the lakes won't be falling after today lol. I'm predicting either a repeat of last season, or if we stop getting the rain, lakes below normal with zero vegetation...flooded or dry.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:26 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:Well, looks like the lakes won't be falling after today lol. I'm predicting either a repeat of last season, or if we stop getting the rain, lakes below normal with zero vegetation...flooded or dry.

Agreed. My best spot on Gibson during 12-13 had no vegetation this past season from the water levels being so high all summer, I predict the same this year.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Not true for Texoma. 8 feet below normal this morning. No rise expected. Any rise this fall or winter and its on.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby kkelly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Didn't mean to thread jack. I'll start a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kkelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:51 pm

LTMFH wrote:Not true for Texoma. 8 feet below normal this morning. No rise expected. Any rise this fall or winter and its on.

Wow, must have completely missed you. Just north of Tulsa we got almost 4" today.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby BrettA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Pretty sure eufaula gained a few inches after today..
BrettA
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 am

Every lake in NEOK is above normal except Skiatook, which was down almost 12' last time I saw....
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:12 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:Every lake in NEOK is above normal except Skiatook, which was down almost 12' last time I saw....

That lake is never gonna return to normal. Not enough inflow and too much gets released. Mainly just not enough inflow though. If it plummets too much more, the marinas and real estate business in the area will also plummet. Which has gotten pretty big in recent years. I live about 15 min away and it has been a nice lake to fish. Still good for hybrids despite the lake level though.

I believe the lake was completed in 1988ish, sometime in the late 80s, and it looks like the drought we had a few years ago (worst since the Depression) was too much for it to overcome.
Last edited by shoveler_shooter on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:14 pm

There is a possibility that a late aerial seeding could happen on Eufaula as the rains of yesterday were predominately Tulsa and north which is not in Big "E's" watershed as Eufaula rec'd ~1/2" of precipitation yesterday.

BTW, the natural habitat (smartweed, pigweed, canary grass, toothcup, etc.) is plentiful in the areas that are 1'+ on the lake so, should she go above 2' this coming season, it'll be good to go.

Here is where you can track the lake levels: http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/stations.htm

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:58 am

So is Kaw not gonna get planted again? I haven't kept track of the lake level over the last month, but right now it is ~normal level and it is raining in my area. So I'm kinda assuming it's not going to be seeded.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Pretty sure I saw on Facebook they started seeding kaw the other day.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:So is Kaw not gonna get planted again? I haven't kept track of the lake level over the last month, but right now it is ~normal level and it is raining in my area. So I'm kinda assuming it's not going to be seeded.

The third aerial seeding was completed on Kaw a week ago last Friday with the total acreage seeded coming in at ~1200.

I also understand Keystone had several acres (total unknown) seeded as well. This reservoir has silted in so much (~12' since original impoundment) that there's mudflats available to seed at normal pool and even above by a bit.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting