Lake Thunderbird

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Lake Thunderbird

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Do any of you all know where I can find info on what areas are huntable on Thunderbird? Or know yourselves? I'll be living in the Norman/OKC area this year and it's the closest lake to me.
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Re: Lake Thunderbird

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:51 pm

There is a lake office on the north side that will have all the info. Basically you can only hunt in three general areas if I remember correctly.

Good luck and I warn you that it will be crowded.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 pm

Damn... Crowded is not what I wanted to hear, but what can you expect with public land :P
Guess I should make my way down to Purcell and talk to some farmers
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:10 am

Crowded is correct. The only place I've found the info for huntable areas is in the printed maps you get at their office. You also need to buy a sticker for your car otherwise you will get written up.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 am

Ducks_be_a_Dyin wrote:Damn... Crowded is not what I wanted to hear, but what can you expect with public land :P
Guess I should make my way down to Purcell and talk to some farmers

Oklahoma has a pretty high population of duck hunters, most public areas are going to be crowded.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Ducks_be_a_Dyin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:33 pm

Shoveler_shooter
yeah it's pretty typical of everywhere I've hunted. Publicly that is, I'm hoping the farmers I know in the area will give me permission to hunt on their land.
Ducks_be_a_Dyin
hunter

Postby bc2020 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 am

I didn't create this and don't know anything about it so I would definitley go get an updated map from the lake office but it might be helpful:

https://maps.google.com/maps/u/0/ms?ie= ... dg=feature
bc2020
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 am

DirtyBird didn't used to be as bad as some. At least not after the first week or so of the season and for sure not when the weather turned! During the week was always the time to go there as most times you would pretty much have the place to yourself.

MORE RULES every year ... so do yourself a favor and go to the Ranger Station or Park Office off of Hiway 9 ... north side around I think 108th. or 120 th. and get a MAP that has all the areas open for hunting shaded in.

There is North of the Twin Bridges ... Jim Blue Creek ... Hog Creek area ... and two other " Creeks or cuts "! MOST of it is reachable by parking in marked areas and HUMPING IN ... some of the walks are of " considerable " distance ... they can be pretty demanding ... especially for us Old Farts!

IMO ... DirtyBird is best hunted via a BOAT!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 am

Ducks_be_a_Dyin wrote:Shoveler_shooter
yeah it's pretty typical of everywhere I've hunted. Publicly that is, I'm hoping the farmers I know in the area will give me permission to hunt on their land.

I will be trying my luck to gain some permission to shoot geese this season...not sure how much competition I have, but I have heard it is the easiest type of hunting to get access for so that is what I will be targeting.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting