Trip to Oklahoma

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Trip to Oklahoma

Postby NDhunter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm

I am planning a trip down to Oklahoma this winter with a couple of friends and being this is our first trip dow there I have a few questions. We will be coming down the Dec 27th- Jan 3rd. We will be bringing down a large field spread for little geese and ducks. Hoping to target mostly fields but will also be prepared to hunt pond/rivers. We have decided on an area in south central oklahoma based on a friends trip down there.

My main question is about permission to private land. Is it impossible to get onto private fields/lakes?

Second question is early january a good time to go down to that part of the state. I assume it depends a lot on weather like up in North Dakota.

Thank you for any advise you can provide for us and any other tips you have for some first time Oklahoma hunters.
NDhunter
Newb

Re: Trip to Oklahoma

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Welcome to the state.

Permission should be easy as farmers hate geese on wheat. My only concern for you is that we have been really dry the last few years. The eastern part of the state has pretty much caught up on water levels but central and west is still dry on the big lakes but the ponds should be ok. For geese I suggest you go further west and the time you will be here is good.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detail info.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:05 pm

I'm in south central Oklahoma. You are welcome down here. Bring water.

In my opinion and many years of hunting down here. I would come before or after those dates. Everyone will be off work. Every college age and high school kid will be off. Everyone that owns a shotgun and a decoy will be out.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Erie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:58 pm

LTMFH wrote:I'm in south central Oklahoma. You are welcome down here. Bring water.

In my opinion and many years of hunting down here. I would come before or after those dates. Everyone will be off work. Every college age and high school kid will be off. Everyone that owns a shotgun and a decoy will be out.

^^this
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 pm

LTMFH wrote:I'm in south central Oklahoma. You are welcome down here. Bring water.

^ this man knows
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby BrettA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 am

Us college kids get off December 3rd :wink:
BrettA
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting