New to the tulsa area

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New to the tulsa area

Postby dsmith1usmc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm

The family and I have recently transferred to the Tulsa area and I am dying to find out a little bit of info about the surrounding duck hunting areas. Does anyone have any advice on the local hunting areas? I currently do not have a boat so it would nice to find any areas that are easily accessible where I could wade out from the shore. Also, if anyone ever needs an extra gun in their boat I’ll buy breakfast!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
New to Tulsa
dsmith1usmc
Newb

Postby quackshutr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Welcome to Tulsa! There are multiple lakes and rivers within an hours drive of Tulsa that have wadeable areas. Keystone, Oolagah, Eufaula, Arkansas River, Verdigris River.
I don't hunt a lot of different places but will help any way I can.

Q

PS.....USMC??? Current or ex? Either way, THANKS for your service! ! !
Quackshutr
Collinsville, OK
1542 Duracraft Stoeger 2000
Speak now or forever shut the heck up!
quackshutr
hunter

Postby dgraves » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Welcome to Oklahoma and Duck Hunting Chat. I am not from around that area but there is alot of good guys in here that will help you.
dgraves
State Moderator

Postby Gruberguy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 am

I agree with quackshutr there are plenty of walk in, wadeable areas... Welcome to the area!!! :welcome:
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Good advice above. I suggest logging on to wildlifedepartment.com and look at the public hunting areas shown around this area. There is a nice enteractive map there. Then hope in that truck and drive and look at these places. You will be surprised at how many places there are and some with small amounts of pressure.

DU banquet tonight. Some guys there could point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby takem1010 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:03 pm

there are two public land in wagoner that are really good, but packed in the early season, there is also one in beggs.

check out the maps on wildlifedepartment.com, and google earth
takem1010
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:27 pm

dsmith (if in fact that is your real name :biggrin: ) where are you from originally? I'm a Maryland transplant; been here approachng 20 years. Hunting here is 180 degrees different than what I was used to, but if you are willing to do a little work, you'll find Oklahoma duck hunting is a best kept secret about this state, especially the Tulsa area. Not sure what you know about the area/state so forgive me if I bore you, or others out there, as I discuss our Wetland Development Units(WDU).

OK takes a good chunk of the money raised from state duck stamp sales and uses it to develop low-lying type areas into some fantastic duck hunting spots. Most, if not all, are perfect for the "walk-in hunter" as they only average a foot deep (except next to levees, pumps, etc). The state picks a spot, usually adjacent to a Corps of Engineer lake or waterway, builds a levee system and water pump unit(s) on it, manages it with either moist soil unit vegetation or planted duck food crops(like millet), then floods it for duck season. Or some are timber units they flood. The result is an impoundment of great duck habitat; they average from 50 acres to several hundred acres.

Someone mentioned the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife website; this site has maps showing the state lands to hunt, usually called wildlife management areas (WMA) The WDUs, if a WMA has a WDU in it, is also shown on the maps. From what you mentioned, I think that is the type area you are looking for. Problem is they can each change dramatically from year to year depending on which subunits get flooded and/or what was planted and/or mowed, etc, etc. Also some can be VERY, VERY, VERY crowded. I actually hunt one of the worse ones for crowds but do exceptionally well. It's a game you have to learn to play

WDUs close to Tulsa are :
Keystone Cottonwood Creek WDU at about 275 acres when/if fully flooded. Usually some portion is millet.
Buckeye Creek WDU (close to above unit) at only 10 acres when flooded (never had luck really finding this one and/or it didn't look good) but I may have seen it on an off year?
3 mile slough (again close to above units) at about maybe 75 acres average IF it has water. Not A WDU but sometimes planted in millet?

Chouteau WDU at about 350 acres fully flooded. managed as moist soil unit.
Billy Creek WDU at about 70 acres???. located about 5 miles or so from Chouteau. Never hunted it but it is small and gets crowded quick I hear.

So far, all these are between 40 and 50 miles drive from Tulsa.

Deep Fork WDUs. There are at least 4 separate deep fork units, from 100 to 700 acres according to maps/book.
I've never even scouted these. I think they are 60 miles and more drive????Heard great things about them though and supposedly there is, or can be, a lot of flooded timber??

Also look at the Corps of Engineers website. They also have maps for each of their lakes that show the state lands AND the federal lands that allow hunting. Most Corps lakes have a ton of duck huntable land since they "own" most of the "shoreline". However, most Corps lakes won't fit your need (no boat).

I cut and pasted a lot of the above from other posts I made. Hope it mades sense. If you want/need more info feel free to PM me.

Again, you actually landed in a great place to hunt ducks.
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 pm

There are a number of walk-in areas within 2 hours of Tulsa. Most people will only walk a couple hundred yards, but if you're willing to go farther than that, then other people shouldn't be a problem. If you can hunt during a weekday that is also a major plus. The main thing is there's so much public land not hunted farther than a few hundred yards on most walk-in areas. Everyone seems to be crowded together when really it's usually not necessary. If you have time to scout once a week then that will help you a lot too.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: New to the tulsa area

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 am

BUMP for .....I can't remember. ...Vermont hunter
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting