Turkeys

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Turkeys

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:16 pm

It has been quiet around here, anyone chasing turkeys and have you shot any? Post pictures if you got one.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Turkeys

Postby micneador » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Well I felt like an idiot yesterday morning, don't know why I always want to carry to 20 gauge. Got on a group of henned up Tom's while on the roost and got in their travel path on the way to the burnt fields and woods to the east. Saw them fly down in a fire brake the rural FD cut when the fire came through, then had a Jake fly down almost on top of me, then the 3 big birds came up the hill and stayed 45 yards from me the whole time. Could not get around them and cut them off again. Should have brought the 12 gauge with my winchester supremes.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:52 pm

micneador wrote:Well I felt like an idiot yesterday morning, don't know why I always want to carry to 20 gauge. Got on a group of henned up Tom's while on the roost and got in their travel path on the way to the burnt fields and woods to the east. Saw them fly down in a fire brake the rural FD cut when the fire came through, then had a Jake fly down almost on top of me, then the 3 big birds came up the hill and stayed 45 yards from me the whole time. Could not get around them and cut them off again. Should have brought the 12 gauge with my winchester supremes.

I know the feeling but I get more extreme than you after that happened to me in the past. Now I use my ten gauge with 2 3/8 oz tungsten loads. Is it overkill? Yes, but I learned the hard way to not go light.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Almost had the big bastages again last night. Turns out there's a 3 year old and two 2 years olds. Caught themy alone on the way to the roost and called the three year old in only to have him go to the edge of the open field and gobble his head off and strut for 45 minutes. Then the two year olds joined up and strutted in the opening until their 5 hens joined and they went to roost. This bird is driving me insane.
micneador
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Was on my way to a locate ticket SE of Shamrock and caught this big joker in a field by himself. Called him in within 10 yards while sitting in the ditch 20 yards from my shiny USIC truck in a tan carpenters pants and my HI vis chartreuse shirt. So it just makes sense that I can't kill one in full camo on my own property. Go figure :fingerhead:

https://youtu.be/U0uSMnzsIhQ
micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:07 pm

I went to take my blind down today because there were not any turkeys. Guess what, there were turkeys.

I tried to ambush them because they took off running when I drove up to the area. I cut them off but could not get a shot because of the trees. He was very close and gobbling like crazy but just couldn't get him in view. Needless to say he busted me and left in a hurry.

Will try one day this week.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting