V hull or Jon boat?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

V hull or Jon boat?

Postby Dalros » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:20 pm

Hey guys,

A few questions for all you Portland area duck hunters.

1. I'm seriously looking at duck boats and I was wondering what configuration would be best down there at Lewis and Clarke NWR. I'm thinking that a Jon boat would be great for hunting areas like Klamath, but not quite stable enough for the swells that one might encounter out on the Columbia. I've usually hunted by walk-in-access and some tips on a God duck boat would be appreciated. Also, tips on a good motor would be equally appreciated.

2. I'm new to the Portland area duck scene...recently moved up here from Eugene. I've hunted years around the Eugene area & Summer Lake (who hasn't right?) all the way over to Warner and down to Klamath. Now I'm looking for info on SI and also Boardman. Anyone got any good tips out there?

3. I'm also looking for some new hunting partners. My guys are all around the Eugene area and are not always free to come up here. Don't get me wrong, I"m happy to hunt all by myself, but definetly enjoy a good day afield with like minded quackheads. I've got a top-notch Lab who's got more than a few years left in him and another top-notch Vizsla who does a bang up job on hunting quail, pheasant and grouse. Takers? Let me know.

4. This is not a question but a statement. This is one Hell of a great site!
I found some really good stuff just goin through the reposts. Good Luck guys.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:35 am

Dalros - welcome to the best duck hunting in the STATE!!! :thumbsup:

you're right on about the swells down on the lower river. most of the time you will be fine with a small jon boat, but those times when the wind kicks up you will certainly want a "V" hull. 14' would be adequate, but 16' would be a lot better. it can get down right hectic out there if you have some big water to cross when the swells start rolling.

shoot me a PM..i'm going down there saturday and might have an open seat if you want to tag along and see what goes on down there.

-Ed
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting