Sauvies Island Deadwillow unit

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Sauvies Island Deadwillow unit

Postby JimboPDX » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm

So I drew the Deadwillow unit for Nov 20th and was wondering if anybody had any pointer on where to go & set up on this roam unit?
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Want to go hunting?

Postby JimboPDX » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:52 pm

DHC dont let me down....65 looks and no replies...come on..help a brother out! I have never hunted Deadwillow before. I know it is a roam unit so please give me a few pointers. I have a reservation for Sunday Nov 20th. At this time we only have two hunters going so perhas if you know the unit well, are a fun, safe & ethical hunter you can join us :thumbsup: Feel free to PM me and we can talk.
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby Feather Buster OSU » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:34 pm

Hey there Jimbo, I have hunted deadwillow unit and man can it be fun! The unit is mostly surrounded by corn on the east and west sides. The thing to do is walk in and go past the little pump house on the right, you are now entering dead willow unit. There are no blinds for deadwillow so in my opinion the best thing to do is head in on the east side of the water (go right, perpendicular to the road). If you go about 100-200 yard in along the corn, you can set up there facing west. This is a good side to be on because the sun won't be shining in your eyes (hopefully there won't be any :thumbsup: ). This is also where the birds usually fly. I usually put a good amount of deeks in the water, setup and start shootin! Have fun!

-Jimmy Dobbs
Feather Buster OSU
hunter

Postby spiritlabs » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:05 pm

John try this right before the road on the dike you will see a field to your leftas you go in. follow that cannel on your left until it hits the corn. The whole thing should be flooded. Set up there. Take a chair it is a must to hid and the nreally camo up. Plan on staying all day from start to finish you will be glad you did. I have killed lots of ducks out there. Of course it is an open unit and nothing like joe ***** showing up and throwing his dekes out 20 yards from you

(edited by gracenjohn - please keep it clean)
Dan Neal
Team red shirt
Brown pants
spiritlabs
Newb

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting