Newbie needs advice

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Newbie needs advice

Postby quacker hacker » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum in September and have been very impressed by everyones wisdom and willingness to help. My son and I have been shooting trap for a number of years. He is 16 now and has been hunting deer since he was 12 and now I would like to get us into some bird hunting.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to go on guided hunt first to learn the ropes or do you know of anyone in the valley area that would be willing to teach a couple of newbies?

PM me at: gregd-at-canby-dot-com if you have any referrals or any other "secret" advice you could give.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg Dutson
Canby, OR
quacker hacker
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:56 pm

Welcome to DHC, and I am certain that you have come to the right place. While I can't help you out in the becuase of logistics, I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction.
Guides can be good for getting you into the sport, and giving you a lot of knowledge. Plus they often put a lot of time into scouting and really should be able to put you on birds.

Here's a link that may help you:
http://www.ogpa.org/Hunting/Waterfowl/

Best of luck to ya!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby tonynchessie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:44 am

:welcome:
Good to hear you're passing on the heritage. This is a great place to get help and advice. I am new to Oregon duck hunting, but have found this to be a great group of people. Good luck on that first hunt. :thumbsup:
tonynchessie
hunter

Willamette Foot Access

Postby quacker hacker » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:54 pm

I was looking at the Willamette River Guide and it shows alot of areas open for hunting. Does anyone know if there is foot access or decent duck hunting areas at the Luckiamute Landing, Sidney access, Spring Valley, or the Yamhill Landing areas?

I know some of you probably don't want to give up your secret holes (I don't blame you) but any help would be appreciated. If you PM me it will go no farther.

Greg
quacker hacker
hunter

Welcome

Postby JimboPDX » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:27 pm

Greg, :welcome:

I am/was in the same boat. This is my first season of duck hunting and both DHC and ifish.net have been wonderful in helping to shorten the learning curve. I have met some great folks on DHC and have hunted with them too!

My advice is to post good questions, respond to some questions and let people get to know you a little.

I would also say....look at Sauvies Island....as it is a great resource to hunt right here in the local area. It is kind of tricky to figure out the chip draw thing on the westside or the reservation/overflow thing on the eastside, but with a little help you can figure it out. :umm:

You can also use the search tool on DHC and you will probably see that someone else asked the very same questions...if it is a newbie question...heck...I probally asked it too!

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. We live close to each other too as I am in Oregon City. I will try and answer any questions I can, but keep in mind this is my first season. I only have 9 hunts under my belt. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jim
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting