SI 12-11-05

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

SI 12-11-05

Postby JimboPDX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:49 pm

Had a great day on the island!

It started out by picking chip #86...pulling the pin and going over to the esatside overflow line....way...way...way back in the overflow line. :pissed:

We ended up getting the last two tags for Footbridge. Walked in at shooting time approched. Broke ice, set up the spread....and nothing! Birds just wanted Dead Willow. :eek:

My partner sprung a leak in his waders so once again...we pulled the pin and bailed....at 9:30am.

So now I have a decision....christmas shopping at the mall....or more duck hunting :umm:

Ahhh duck hunting it was :getdown:

Went back to the westside check station and got to be lucky number 6 on the wait list. Ended up chatting with lucky number 7 & 8 on the wait list and when Mud Lake #6 opened up....I asked number 7 & 8 if they wanted to join me.

All three hunters (plus a walker...11 year old son to guy #8) tromped out to Mud #6 and set up a killer spread. 6 doz deeks, 2 wind spinners, a spreader all on the only natural open water in sight!

We ended up killin 16 ducks....3 pintails (2 beautiful bull sprigs), 2 gadwall, 2 widgon, 1 spoonie, and 8 GW teal. We all agreed to let the birds work and not take pass shots. Holy cow...it worked. On of the teal shots could have been considerd self defense.....low...eye level....mach 4 right at us and hit & dropped 10 feet in front of us. :hammering:

Funny moment of the day....buddy was using an O/U and had both barrels go off at once....actually knocked him on his :spam:

It was a great way to end a day that started a little funky!
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Re: SI 12-11-05

Postby quacker hacker » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 pm

JimboPDX wrote:Had a great day on the island!

It was a great way to end a day that started a little funky!

Jimbo...I must say, GREAT USE OF EMOTICONS. The creative use of Spam was exceptionally well done.

Greg
quacker hacker
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:43 pm

way to stick with it and make it pay off...most guys would have just gone home and called it a day.

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby DevlinCackler » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:44 pm

I am most guys and the one with the leaky waders that went home with no ducks. First experience with SI and it is a whole different world compared to what I am used to on the river. Not bad, just a lot different. I will give SI another shot, however will be more prepared (New Waders and Lighter Decoy Bag) and not stay up until Midnight goofing off when I have to be up at 3:00 AM.

Jimbo is a very nice guy to hunt with and recommend shooting a duck or two with him if you get a chance.

My weekend was not a total waste, my buddy and I hunted Saturday on the river and got 7 ducks by 9:30, then packed it in due to prior commitments. I managed to get 5 of the 7 and let my buddy shoot at what came in for the last hour; because he could not hit the water if he tried. I worked the boat blind so he had a better chance at what came in; but even that did not help. It was an odd morning; he usually is dropping birds that I wouldn’t even lift my cannon for.

3 Teal
3 Widgeon
1 Merganser (Boy that is an ugly duck, I had never seen one before.)
DevlinCackler
hunter

Postby JimboPDX » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:16 am

John,

Ahhh you didn't have to tell everybody it was you.... :hammering: .

I don't think you got a true view of what SI is all about. I am still new at this whole "duck huntin thang". What we need to do is hook you up with some of the seasoned guys who know the units & blinds better, how to work the line, great callers, and are just better duck hunters. I don't think I did Mrs SI justice on what a great resource we have right here in Portland!

So here it is Oregon DHC members....smackdown time! We have a fellow DHC member who is a great guy...happens to own a boat....and wants to learn the true SI. :umm: :salude:

If this isn't a slow-down-the-middle pitch...I don't know what is. We need to find a guy who knows SI well, can call, and help John see what SI is all about! :help: :thumbsup:
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby daffyblaster » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Jim!

What a great day, man! :salude: Funny how things sometimes work out in such a great way. :thumbsup:

And, yes, guys, I was the one who got knocked on his :spam: when his o/u doublefired. :laughing: Jim was just nice enough to say it only happened once. Twice, is the truth! ANd since I'm telling the truth, I'd take a hundred more days like that one. A great time with good company and good hunting.

Thanks for saving me from the killer teal, buddy!

Let's do it again soon.
daffyblaster
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting