Sauvie Island success

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Sauvie Island success

Postby greenheadgunner » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 pm

I went out to the Eastside on Sauvie yesterday (12/15) and didn't get set up until 8:05am. So Jimmy, Cody, and I sat out there for three hours or so with no birds flying anywhere near our deeks (we shot 3 teal that came in singles and a double).
Cody and Jimmy decided to walk around to find more birds...I stayed in the blind... 20 minutes later a flock of 3 teal came in and I took one. Cody and Jimmy came back after hearing my shot, just in time. Within a 10 minute time span, we took 17 teal! One flock that decoyed had fifty birds or so and we dropped 9! Fastest three limits I've ever seen. We were hoping for greenheads but it turned out to be a teal day, so we took teal. I hope the big birds haven't left the island!

Seth
Gimme ducks or gimme death.
greenheadgunner
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:25 pm

That sounds identical to the hunt we had on the West side last Sunday. Not one shot untill after ten and then it was teal time! I personally haven't seen many mallards except out at Crane Lake. I like Crane, but it's hard to pass up the shorter walks!
H.O.G
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:54 am

We hunted the East Side yesterday. Mud Hen #12, no success. We did pick up a hen Widgeon that must have had a heartattack after #9 shot down her partner. On the way out we found the guys and returned her to them. Of course it seems that you can never go out there and not get stuck next to a blind of boneheads that like to shoot at ducks 70 yds high and over your decoys. Mudhens blind's are way to close in my opinion. We were litterally hit with shot twice.
H.O.G
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:31 am

We hunted the East Side again yesterday with no success. Racetrack #14. There were actually quite a few birds flying over we just couldn't get them to come down. I am going to keep trying though, I will probably head out either tomorrow or Friday.
H.O.G
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting